Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleveland in February-- Nothing Better?

Re: Cleveland in February-- Nothing Better?

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    You guys should come on down to Oklahoma in the summer! Yikes
    Couldn't be worse then Atlanta, and I've spent a considerable summers down there.

That said I've fought my wifes desire to move to Austin for a good portion of the last decade. For exactly the reason you suggested OK

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Couldn't be worse then Atlanta, and I've spent a considerable summers down there.

That said I've fought my wifes desire to move to Austin for a good portion of the last decade. For exactly the reason you suggested OK
    Good thing there's no global warming , otherwise some of these places would be getting even more uncomfortable over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Good thing there's no global warming , otherwise some of these places would be getting even more uncomfortable over the next few years.
    Get a couple of these around your city and you'll cool down.

Or one of these....

Or, one of these....

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Ed, I too am sort of an odd bird. I grew up in Columbus OH and chose to root for the Reds and Steelers...I guess I must have been a front runner growing up in the 70s--but at least I have stuck with them since. As far as a restaurant recommendation while in Cleveland---you should go to the House of Blues. I know its not a "local" eatery--it is a theme chain--but every time I have been there, I have not been disappointed--great food and if you are lucky, you might get some live tunes.

As far as Cleveland, I do not like to give it or its sports fans many props--but I must admit Jacobs Field is still a crown jewel and the Gateway area around it and the arena is a great place to be before and after a game.

There are a number of good restaurants downtown that are good. My advice is to talk to the front desk or the concierge at the hotel to find a good place to go. They should have a better idea of where to go and might be able to direct you to a hidden gem.

Tower City Center is a good place to go shopping if you want to buy something for the wifey or other family members. It's connected to the Q through an enclosed walkway, so you can head down before the game, do some looking around, and head over to the game without having to go outside, which can be rough in downtown Cleveland in February.

If you are interested in checking out the local flavor as far as food goes, you can try to make it over to the West Side Market. It's not open every day, so look it up online or check with the folks at the hotel to find out its hours. They have a great stand offering bratwurst w/ sauerkraut, not to mention the various stands offering baked goods. Many of the stands are oriented toward Italian and Hungarian cuisine. It really is a treat to visit if you are looking for a place to go with some local flair.

Across from the West Side Market is the Great Lakes Brewing Company. It's a local microbrewery that also operates a brewpub and gift shop. You can go there for dinner, get a brewery tour, and sample many of their fine beers. I highly recommend their beers.

If you have access to a car and don't mind doing a bit of driving, you can also take a trip 1 hour south on I-77 to Canton to visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It really is a fantastic place for any football fan to visit, and you will find the Redskins well represented here.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Worth The Wait

Yes, visiting the pro football HOF has been a lifelong dream. However, with all the money being poured into this trip for little ole' me, I figured I'd keep my costs as low as possible once I get there. Plus, it gives me an excuse to go back to Ohio! My wife bought me a brick at GAB that I have yet to see-- a summer trip to Cincy for a home series is still in the future I hope. We're also big Dave Matthews Band fans, and we keep waiting for a concert and home series to coincide on a weekend, but we're still waiting.....

Oh and by the way, I've been hinting for years that we give our first born son the middle name "Canton," but it kind of hits a brick wall

Well, whenever you make to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. If you are coming just for the HOF itself, I recommend coming during HOF Weekend, to see the parade, the induction ceremony and all the stuff that goes along with it.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I have but three words to sum up Cleveland this time of year:

Lake. Effect. Snow.

Turn Off Ads?