Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tiger named AP male athlete of year

Tiger named AP male athlete of year

Tiger Woods had an answer for everything.

When he missed the cut at the U.S. Open for the first time in a major -- his first tournament after his father died of cancer -- some questioned whether he could rekindle his desire to dominate. He never finished worse than second in stroke play the rest of the season.

Phil Mickelson emerged anew as a serious threat to Woods by winning his second straight major at The Masters and nearly making it three in a row at the U.S. Open. Woods responded by winning the next two majors.

And there remained skepticism about his latest swing change, put to rest by a year that ranked among Woods' best ever on the PGA Tour. He won eight times in 15 starts, six in a row to close out his season, two more majors to reach 12 for his career.

About the only thing he couldn't answer was how he was voted AP Male Athlete of the Year.

Woods won the award over San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson, with tennis great Roger Federer a distant third. The 31-year-old Woods won for the fourth time in his career, tying the record set by Lance Armstrong, who won the last four years.

While pleased to hear he had won the award, Woods was perplexed it did not go to his good friend Federer, who continues to dominate tennis. Woods was in Federer's box at Flushing Meadows when the Swiss star captured the U.S. Open title.

"What he's done in tennis, I think, is far greater than what I've done in golf," Woods said. "He's lost what ... five matches in three years? That's pretty good."

Federer has actually lost a few more than that, but not many. His record in 2006 was an amazing 92-5, including 12 singles titles.

Woods received 260 points from sports editors around the country. Tomlinson, who has already set an NFL record of 31 touchdowns with one regular-season game left, was second with 230 points. Federer, who won three Grand Slam titles and lost in the final at the French Open, had 110 points.

Rounding out the top of the list were Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade (40 points) and St. Louis Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols and NL home run champion Ryan Howard of the Philadelphia Phillies (20 points each).

Fred Couples, the former Masters champion and all-around sports nut who attended Wimbledon this year, ran through the achievements of the top three and figured it would be a tough vote to cast.

"Roger Federer is pretty sporty," Couples said. "Tomlinson is going to pound the record by I don't know how many TDs. It's all great. You would think if you're Roger Federer and you didn't win it this year, you don't know what else you could possibly do. But Tiger ... it's not like he's not deserving. He's winning 55 percent of the tournaments he plays. He's probably ahead of Shaq's free-throw percentage."

Woods again made it look routine, winning at least eight PGA Tour events for the third time in his career and becoming the first player in history to capture multiple majors in consecutive seasons.

"Anytime you're over 50 percent winning in our sports, it's probably a good year," Woods said. "I know how hard it is. I know what it takes to get to that point. I hate to say it, but people in the media and fans don't understand how hard it is. Players do. The things players have said to me over the years, that means a lot."

What made this year different from others was the magnitude of his loss.

After winning his first two tournaments of the year, the Buick Invitational and the Dubai Desert Classic on the European Tour, Woods' progress slowed as his father's health deteriorated. Earl Woods, the father, architect and driving force behind his son as a person and a player, died May 3.

During a celebration of his father's life in the lobby of the Tiger Woods Learning Center, Woods refused to sit as he listened to stories about his father, his solemn face yielding to an occasional grin whenever someone told a humorous anecdote. He said later he tends to bottle up his emotions, and they burst forth at the British Open.

Using driver only once on the crispy links of Royal Liverpool, Woods won by two shots to become the first player in 23 years with back-to-back wins at the British Open, and the lasting image of his season was Woods sobbing on the shoulder of his caddie, and then his wife, realizing it was the first golf victory he couldn't share with his father.

"At that moment, it just came pouring out," he said that day. "And of all the things that my father has meant to me and the game of golf, I just wish he would have seen it one more time."

To this day, Woods said he quickly turns off the tape of British Open highlights when he taps in his final putt.

The rest of the year was a blur of trophies. He overpowered the field at the Buick Open; putted his best at the PGA Championship; outlasted Stewart Cink in a playoff at the Bridgestone Invitational; made two eagles in the first seven holes on his way to a 63 to overcome a three-shot deficit against Vijay Singh at the Deutsche Bank Championship; and then won by eight shots at the American Express Championship.

On paper, the results looked familiar. In his heart, Woods said it was his toughest year, which he ultimately described as a loss because of his father's death.

For his peers, it left them at a loss for words.

"We're used to it," Davis Love III said. "People were trying to compare this year to 2000, but 2000 was surprising. Now it's like saying, 'Hey, there's a Ferrari. Oh, there's another Ferrari. There's another Ferrari.' It's an outstanding year, but it's not his only one. If I had a year like his, they would say, 'What an incredible year.' For him, it's just another brilliant year.

"It's hard for him when he wins four tournaments and no majors because people say, 'What in the world happened?' That's when you realize how good he is," Love said.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

AP male athlete of the year voting
    Athlete Points
    Tiger Woods 260
    LaDainian Tomlinson 230
    Roger Federer 110
    Dwyane Wade 40
    Albert Pujols 20
    Ryan Howard 20
    Vince Young 10
    Shaun White 10
    Floyd Landis 10
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tiger named AP male athlete of year

when i think of an athlete, a golfer never comes to mind

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Tiger Woods is a different story. He is a great athlete, which I presume, could do anything well in the world of sports. What he does is far away better than anybody that I have ever witnessed other than Micheal Jordan. I would probably put Tiger above Jordan. Anyone that thinks that golf isn't a sport hasn't ever witnessed it played well. You have your exception is every sport such as guys like David Wells in baseball and John Daly in golf. They don't appear to be great athletes but Tiger is another story. Simply amazing.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Great choice. I can't think of anyone who should have come close to Tiger in this category.

And we've had the golfer/athlete discussion plenty of times. No need to rehash it here.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

I know Tennis is not that popular anymore but no one is better at what they do than Roger Federer. I think he has won 85 out of his last 90 matches. True, Tiger plays 120 guys every tournament and Federer plays one-on-one, but not even Tiger can go 85 out of 90 one-on-one with the talant on the PGA tour.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I know Tennis is not that popular anymore but no one is better at what they do than Roger Federer. I think he has won 85 out of his last 90 matches. True, Tiger plays 120 guys every tournament and Federer plays one-on-one, but not even Tiger can go 85 out of 90 one-on-one with the talant on the PGA tour.
    As far as dominance, Annika Sorenstam is way up there too.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    And we've had the golfer/athlete discussion plenty of times. No need to rehash it here.
    Why? Because you say so? It's within the scope of the board and if people want to discuss it they don't need your permission.

Rem

I know Tennis is not that popular anymore but no one is better at what they do than Roger Federer. I think he has won 85 out of his last 90 matches.
    I don't think that the tennis tour is as deep at the top as it was when Samparas, Aggasi, Courier and Chang were at the top of their game but the dominance that Federer shows is quite remarkable to me. About the only one that gives him trouble is Rafael Nadal (although Federer has won the last two matches between them).

For the record, Federer was 92-5 for the year (94.8 winning percentage) with 4 of the 5 loses coming in finals. Pretty amazing.

BTW, Federer and Woods are reportedly fans of each other and have gone to watch each other play when they happen to be in the same city at the same time. Apparently they've struck up a friendship based partially on the fact that they can relate to each others' position in their respective sport and the idea that they are the one to beat every week. I would guess that they are possibly the only two people in the world that knows exactly what the other is going through in that position.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Great choice. I can't think of anyone who should have come close to Tiger in this category.

I'm a huge Tiger fan, but Federer's record is incredible also.

I'd be happy to see either of them win.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post

"I know how hard it is. I know what it takes to get to that point. I hate to say it, but people in the media and fans don't understand how hard it is. Players do. The things players have said to me over the years, that means a lot."

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I know Tennis is not that popular anymore.
    In the US. There IS a world out there and tennis is quite a universal sport (second to soccer in that respect, IMO).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Hey 62:

Who was the second quote by? Tiger?

Rem

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

My vote would have gone to Jim Coombs... but Tiger is deserving too.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Hey 62:

Who was the second quote by? Tiger?

Rem

Yes. And I couldn't agree more, regardless of the sport.
    ~ Mark Twain

Oneupper:

Over the past couple of years there have been studies suggesting that participation in tennis is once again on the rise in the US and that golf is in a down-trend.

One study found that people that played tennis on a regular basis was increasing while the number of people that played golf on a regular basis was declining. ('Regular' was somewhat loosely defined as participating twice per month, IIRC.) Seems to me that the reference point was a span of 5 years.

Another study found that the amount of money spent on tennis equipment was rising on a percentage basis faster than the amount of money spent on golf equipment although golf equipment retained a substantial lead in total dollars. This was a little surprising to me since tennis is a relatively inexpensive game to get into. A racquet or two, some good shoes and a $2.00 can of balls and you're in business. Public courts are free. As you move upscale things are more expensive but a top-line racquet is still under $200.00 and a club membership for most people is $100.00-200.00 per month for most families for unlimited playing time.

Anyway, I'm not dumping on golf but here in SoCal it has gotten really expensive. Unfortunately, in Orange County even the Muni courses can run up to about $75.00 per round and the course across from the resort where I work is rumored to be going from $250.00 up to $350.00 per round. The cost of the real estate and/or the money it would generate with another use (homes, apartments, shopping centers) is a major problem. Down in San Diego County they seem to be able to keep costs in check so far though. I understand that most muni courses (which are supposed to be rated very high) can still be played in the $25.00-$30.00 range.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?