Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jets Beat Miami; Bengals All But Eliminated From Playoffs

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Jets Beat Miami; Bengals All But Eliminated From Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Their biggest asset last season was their ball-hawking, willing-to-take-a-gamble defense! Weird how that seemed to change this season, b/c I agree with ya... did Bresnahan just simply lose his nerve?
    It strikes me that stats like turnovers are pretty variable from year to year, much like clutch hitting or average on balls in play (BABIP).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    It strikes me that stats like turnovers are pretty variable from year to year, much like clutch hitting or average on balls in play (BABIP).
    Of course, but an aggressive defense will almost always cause more turnovers than one playing NOT to give up the big play.

I have observed what appears to be a fundamental shift in Bresnahan's defensive philosophy this season. He is coaching scared.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Of course, but an aggressive defense will almost always cause more turnovers than one playing NOT to give up the big play.

I have observed what appears to be a fundamental shift in Bresnahan's defensive philosophy this season. He is coaching scared.
    Undeniable, of course, but in the same way a speed-heavy baseball team can manufacture a bunch of runs one season and drop precipitously the next doing the same thing, a ball-hawking defense faces variability due to a combination of luck and adjustments.

Now, as for the fundamental shift... that's the real question. At least we know that Marvin Lewis does not cut his defensive coordinators a whole lot of slack. It'll be interesting to see if Lewis writes off the defensive issues as a result of injuries and the collapse of Odell Thurman or if he'll take it out of Chuck's hide.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Well, this would be two down in Marvin's tenure for what is supposed to be his specialty if that happens. I think the D is a talent problem first and a coaching problem second, but I'd say that both need significant changes. What it takes to fix both is probably the draft and free agency. I'd say you could argue that all of the LBers need replaced and two of the Dlineman. I'd let Justin Smith walk and find more playing time for Peko. Geathers is finally looking like a pass rushing end, but the rest need upgraded. Leave the offense alone, focus on the D and the offense won't be falling all over themselves to try to win the game, which is what I think the turnovers are coming from. Oh yea, and I'd trade Chris Henry.
    I don't think getting rid of Henry leaves the offense alone. I'd keep him, but I'd assign a mommy to him 24/7.
    I'd add a tight end.

The linebacker situation has to change. Too bad the Bengals had such impact players at that position go down (or out as was the case with idiot Thurman). I think that really set the progam back by quite a bit. I agree about the line, but unfortunately, there is a lot needed and it's hard to revamp so much in one offseason. I'd be tempted to move Geathers to LB, then try to bring in a quality interior lineman for starters, but can they get as lucky in the draft as they did when they landed Pollack? They sorely need a hitter to replace him at LB.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanatic View Post
    I am really going to enjoy watching the Jets get blown out by whoever they play in the playoffs because that is a bad football team. They have no talent. Only reason they are in the playoffs is because of there joke of a schedule.
    No talent?

Chad Pennington - has led his team to the playoffs every year he has started more than 10 games and despite his lack of arm strength is still a top 10 NFL QB. Sure, QB is a rather weak position in the NFL right now, but he's still near the top.

Laveranues Coles - one of the toughest WRs in the NFL. Would probably play through a broken leg as long as it was still attached. He is also finishing up another 1,000+ yard season.

Jerricho Cotchery - his first season as a starter he has worked his way to one of the better #2 WRs in the NFL and is 92 yards short of the 1,000 yard mark. If you haven't heard his name yet you will next year. Watching the kid play this year has been a treat.

Nick Mangold & D'brickashaw Ferguson - two rookies starting on the o-line, one of which at the toughest position (LT), yet have had played like seasoned veterans. Nick Mangold is playing at a Pro Bowl level and D'brick isn't too far behind.

Dewayne Robertson - after being a waste of space under Herm Edwards he has finally shown his potential with an actual coach in Eric Mangini. The kid is good.

Kerry Rhodes - is having the best season of any AFC safety and is an absolute playmaker. He was one of the biggest Pro Bowl snubs this year. He is a stud.

Jonathan Vilma - is having a down year due to the switch to the 3-5 defense. He is finally coming around at the end of the season and will be back next year. He was a premier LB last season and will be back to that level next year, IMO.

As for getting blown out in the playoffs? They lost to the Colts by 3 in week 4. This time they would play in the dome where Chad Pennington is downright ridiculous. Look up his stats if you want.

They lost to the Pats by a TD the first time and beat them in Foxboro the second time.

Yeah, they got smacked in the mouth by Jacksonville, but that game was a complete aberration.

Since the break, week 8, the defense has been stellar. They have given up just over 13 points per game in that span.

Call me a homer if you want, but when doing things like this I try to be objective as possible. I know the Oakland game isn't a given but I am fairly confident they will win the game.

Also, don't forget this team was chosen by most, if not all, to fight for the #1 draft pick in next years draft. It just goes to show what good coaching and discipline will do to a team.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Chad Pennington - has led his team to the playoffs every year he has started more than 10 games and despite his lack of arm strength is still a top 10 NFL QB. Sure, QB is a rather weak position in the NFL right now, but he's still near the top.
    To say that Chad Pennington is a top 10 quarterbacks speaks more about the lack of talent at the position than Chad Pennington.

He's just okay. Inconsistent, injury prone...16 TDs this season. Nothing to write home about.

Put him on your fantasy team and see how far you go. Heck, put him on your real team and see how far you go.

Laveranues Coles - one of the toughest WRs in the NFL.
    Is this anything like 'scrappy" for a baseball player?

He has 6 touchdowns and averages about 70 yards a game. Wow.

It just goes to show what good coaching and discipline will do to a team.
    You forgot chemistry.

The Jets victories this year: TN, BUF, MIA, DET, NE, HOU, GB, and MIN.

I'm thinking they are going all the way.

Whenever I think about Chad Pennington, I think about one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television when, on "Inside the NFL" on HBO, Cris Carter asked the guys if they wanted to see his Chad Pennington impression and proceeded to pull out a little water gun and squirt Marino. Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    To say that Chad Pennington is a top 10 quarterbacks speaks more about the lack of talent at the position than Chad Pennington.

He's just okay. Inconsistent, injury prone...16 TDs this season. Nothing to write home about.

Put him on your fantasy team and see how far you go. Heck, put him on your real team and see how far you go.

Is this anything like 'scrappy" for a baseball player?

He has 6 touchdowns and averages about 70 yards a game. Wow.

You forgot chemistry.

The Jets victories this year: TN, BUF, MIA, DET, NE, HOU, GB, and MIN.

I'm thinking they are going all the way.
    Hey, even I said QB is weak right now. He's still one of the better QBs in the league. He doesn't wow you with stats but he gets the job done more often than not.

As for Coles and his 71 yards per game, that's good enough for 7th in the AFC. He doesn't score a lot of TDs because the Jets aren't a TD factory like the Bengals and the Colts. They rely more on their defense. Coles is also #3 in receptions in the AFC.

Also, the Jets don't pick their schedule, so they can't help who they end up playing and beating. It's still an NFL schedule and they have still won 9 games (soon to be 10, hopefully) which is good enough to get you in to the playoffs.

As a Jets fan I couldn't be happier with this season. I thought going in to the year that 5 wins was the best to hope for. Now we have a chance to double that number and make a run in the playoffs. Who would have thought? Not even the biggest Jets homer in the world could have expected this.

I know the Raiders will probably lose but give them a chance. I'm a Raiders fan.

I'm a Browns fan who, for today only and because I want to see the Bengals in the post-season since my team is not, is dressing up in full Raider regalia

But if you guys blow it too the Steelers then somebody is gonna have to pay for this!!!!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

And as a Browns fan, it's maddening that of the 4 wins, 3 have winning records.

You think Bengals have it bad, think of the Packers.

Green Bay can clinch playoff berth with:

1) GB win + GB clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over NYG**

**Packers clinch strength of victory tiebreaker over NY Giants if all of the following occur:
    ARI win, DET win, MIA win, MIN win, SF win, CAR loss, HOU loss, TB loss.
    The Cleveland Browns can effectively knock the formerly hated Eastern Divisional rival Giants out of the playoffs if they beat the Texans.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    And as a Browns fan, it's maddening that of the 4 wins, 3 have winning records.

You think Bengals have it bad, think of the Packers.

The Cleveland Browns can effectively knock the formerly hated Eastern Divisional rival Giants out of the playoffs if they beat the Texans.

That's hope, right there.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

He doesn't wow you with stats but he gets the job done more often than not.

and it all came down to that missed field goal. all the other ducks fell into line for the bengals.
    School's out. What did you expect?

san fran just kicked a fg to win in ot. what a kick in the a$$ to be a bengals fan right now. as much as i like the bengals they REALLY didn't deserve to make the playoffs. to lose your last 3 games of the season like they did( stupid mistakes) is unbearable to think about.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Turn Off Ads?