Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOF Ballots Due Dec. 31--Who Gets In?

Ex-Tree

HOF Ballots Due Dec. 31--Who Gets In?

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sports...?event_id=2593

Checklist at ESPN.com. Voted for Dawson, Gwynn, Morris, and Ripken. Who ya got?
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: HOF Ballots Due Dec. 31--Who Gets In?

Ripken, Gwynn, Dawson, Blyleven, Morris.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Gossage, Gwynn, Ripkin & Bichette.

Except for Bichette.

I could've voted for a couple more, but I'm in a bad mood.

Voted Blyleven, Dawson, Gossage, Gwynn, McGwire, Ripken, Smith, and Trammell.

I almost wanted to vote for Albert Belle. If his hip hadn't fallen apart, we'd be talking about him as one of the greatest hitters of this generation. Of course, I have to wonder if steroids played a role both in his success and his decline, but that's another can of worms. That Puckett got in easily and Belle won't even sniff staying on the ballot bugs me. Character should count, but not for that much.

I think Trammell is going to be the most overlooked candidate. By almost any measurement, he's one of the top 10-15 best shortstops of all-time.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Senor Votto

Ripkin and Gwynn

Ripken and Gwynn , unless the voters want to continue to dilute it.

I voted Ripken, Concepcion, Gwynn, Gossage and Blyleven.

Blyleven. How is he not it yet? Bruce Freakin Sutter got in last year. He is #5 all-time in strikeouts and had one of the sweetest curve balls in the game! People look poorly on him because of his win-loss record, a team-dependent stat. It's like not voting for the #5 all-time home run hitter because he didn't get enough RBI. In my opinion, the others can wait until he gets in.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I usually put Rik Aalbert on my list, but skipped him this time because I've been thinking less of the cumulative stat guys ever since Palmeiro joined the 500-HR club. Even before the steroid stuff, I couldn't think of him as a hall of famer.

Admittedly, Blyleven's more deserving. I should have put him in, but I'm having a bad day.

Ripken Gwynn E. Davis Concepcion Parker

I didn't vote for either, but it slays me that Scott Brosius and Eric Davis are tied with 3.8% of the vote.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I didn't vote for either, but it slays me that Scott Brosius and Eric Davis are tied with 3.8% of the vote.
    there's something horribly wrong with that. Davis was far, far superior to Borsious...he'd be a first balloter if he had a bit of body fat....
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I probably voted for way too many people, but I figure the final results eventually calculate mine out. There are just too many I have a soft spot for.
    Gwynn, Ripken, The Goose, Smith, Blyleven, T.J., and Concepcion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Blyleven. How is he not it yet? Bruce Freakin Sutter got in last year. He is #5 all-time in strikeouts and had one of the sweetest curve balls in the game! People look poorly on him because of his win-loss record, a team-dependent stat. It's like not voting for the #5 all-time home run hitter because he didn't get enough RBI. In my opinion, the others can wait until he gets in.
    Exactly how I feel. Not only does he have the numbers (except the dreaded W/L record playing on some horrible teams) but the best hitters of his day spoke in awe of the man's curveball.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Exactly how I feel. Not only does he have the numbers (except the dreaded W/L record playing on some horrible teams) but the best hitters of his day spoke in awe of the man's curveball.
    I'm pretty stingy as to who I believe belongs in but I think Blyleven definitely belongs in. He never was a dominant pitcher but his over all career numbers put him up there with the best. I think that had he played in a large market instead of small markets like Minnesota, Cleveland and Pittsburgh he would have been in a long time ago. Just look at Don Sutton, had Sutton not played in LA all those years I doubt if he would be in now.

Any way my picks were Ripken, Gwynn, Blyleven.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 12-27-2006 at 10:06 AM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?