Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angels sign Shea...

Angels sign Shea...

Ken Rosenthal reports that the Angels have signed Shea Hillenbrand to a one-year deal. ESPN adds that the contract includes an option for 2008. RotoWorld has the dollars: $6MM in 2006 with a $6.5MM vesting option for '08. Should the Halos use him at first base, it could indicate a trade of Casey Kotchman or Kendry Morales is on the horizon.

10 years younger and 4 million more, which makes Conine look slightly worse now...
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Angels sign Shea...

Shea:
    SPLIT G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BA OBP SLG
    Season 141 530 73 147 27 1 21 68 1 .277 .313 .451

Conine:
    SPLIT G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BA OBP SLG
    Season 142 489 54 131 26 4 10 66 3 .268 .325 .399

I would agree that shea is better. But I don't know if I would pay three times as much for him . The age is not that big of a factor considering he is just stopping in for a year to be a stop gap.

Don't forget, he was pretty much punted off of Toranto.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Hillenbrand doesn't play OF.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Hillenbrand doesn't play OF.
    Also a good point, but I think the point he was trying to make is that they both would be considered RH 1st base platoon guys. The majority of the time.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Also a good point, but I think the point he was trying to make is that they both would be considered RH 1st base platoon guys. The majority of the time.
    My point was...Hillenbrand could play every day First. Hatte moves to the bench. Conine moves to the bench. Where they need to be.

Doesn't Conine need a walker to cover right field?
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Man Pills

I had the pleasure of watching Conine field for the Phils in RF last season. Pretty rough.

I'd say Conine and Hillenbrand are about as polar opposites of clubhouse guys as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I had the pleasure of watching Conine field for the Phils in RF last season. Pretty rough.
    So you're saying he's worse than Wily Mo in the field?
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    True. I shudder to think of a Reds OF of Dunn/Griffey/Conine.

That may be potentially the worst defensive OF ever.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Maybe we should trade for Manny Ramierez..that'll make it better..
    -Hunter S. Thompson

hollywood mid westerner

The guy can hit and play a good 1b (he was an all star 3b with the Red Sox a few years back)

for 6 mil versus 2 mil and Conine..cmon guys..i know you hate me and all but this has to be an easy one.

If Conine ever starts (barring the once in a blue moon getaway day) in RF, then Narron should be fired as soon as they post the lineups.

As many said last year, shame on WK for providing Jerry with older, washed up players...it's like putting a 6 pack in the fridge of an alcoholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    My point was...Hillenbrand could play every day First. Hatte moves to the bench. Conine moves to the bench. Where they need to be.

Doesn't Conine need a walker to cover right field?
    we really wouldn't want Hillenbrand playing against RHP. His 3 year OPS against RHP is .756 and it was .728 last year. Hatteberg's 3 year splits against RHP show a .790 OPS with a .374 OBP. Shea probably would be a better platoon partner at 1B with hatteberg than Conine but that's too much money to pay someone just to play against LHP.

Plus, I'd be worried about Narron playing Shea over EE.

As for Conine, he's really not a solution for anything, except maybe as a PH.

I'd prefer the Reds play Dunn at 1B against LHP and get Denorfia/Freel in the lineup.

I'd prefer the Reds play Dunn at 1B against LHP and get Denorfia/Freel in the lineup.
    I'd perfer Dunn at first on a daily basis with an outfield of Freel, Griffey the right handed bat thats NOT Conine.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    I'd perfer Dunn at first on a daily basis with an outfield of Freel, Griffey the right handed bat thats NOT Conine.
    Barring an acquisition, i'd be fine if that was Denorfia. I don't ever want to see Conine start.

I'm not terribly hot on the idea of Freel starting everyday. He really doesn't do all that well against RHP.

Turn Off Ads?