Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harris to be dealt?!

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Harris to be dealt?!

Found this on another site, have not seen it here yet so I thought this might perk some interest. For those who know, what date was that he was DFA?

Brendan Harris expects trade
    Q'bury grad moved to make room on Reds for Conine

By WILL SPRINGSTEAD, springstead@poststar.com
    Friday, December 22, 2006 6:41 AM EST

Queensbury High School graduate Brendan Harris is getting a little too familiar with moving.

On Thursday, the Cincinnati Reds designated the infielder for assignment to the minors to make room for veteran first baseman/outfielder Jeff Conine. While moving to the minor leagues wouldn't be great, it wouldn't be unusual for Harris, 26, who has gone between Triple-A and the majors for three years now.

According to Harris, Reds General Manager Wayne Krivsky told him he'll likely be traded again. Since the 2004 season, Harris has played for the Chicago Cubs, Montreal Expos/Washington Nationals and the Reds.

"Basically, when they designate you for assignment, they have 10 days to trade me or I go to the minors," Harris said. "(Krivsky) could barely tell me the deal that was going down, but he said they'll probably trade me.

"I guess I had some value and some teams asked about me at the winter meetings," Harris added. "I'm really not thrilled about it."

According to the Cincinnati Reds' Web site, Harris was listed second on the depth chart at second base and fourth on the chart at shortstop. In acquiring Conine, however, it allowed the Reds to get a right-handed hitter who can platoon with left-handed first baseman Scott Hatteberg as well as play the outfield. Conine played both positions with Baltimore and Philadelphia last season, hitting .268 with 10 homers and 66 RBIs. He is a two-time All-Star who bats .303 against left-handers and .280 against right-handers.

Krivsky has made a name for himself as someone who is willing to make many moves in order to win as soon as possible. Conine was the 46th player Krivsky has acquired since beginning his duties in February.

Harris, who was originally a fifth-round pick of the Chicago Cubs in 2001, was traded to the Reds organization from the Nationals in July. He began his stint with the organization with the Triple-A Louisville Bats, but was called up later in the season. He appeared in eight games for the Reds and hit .200 (2-for-10) with one home run, one RBI, one walk and four strikeouts.

For his major-league career, Harris has appeared in 52 games with 110 at-bats and has a .209 average. Defensively, he has played in 36 games at third base, shortstop and second base and made only four errors.

Harris said Krivsky didn't tell him any specific teams that inquired about him. When asked if he had a preference, Harris said, "wherever I'm going to play."

When he was acquired in July, Krivsky called Harris "a gamer."

"He plays the game hard, has got some sock in his bat, " Krivsky said in July. "He's one of the old-type baseball players: first to show up, last to leave."

Assuming he will be traded, Harris said his stint with the Reds was too brief.

"I liked the group," Harris said. "This is unexpected, so it tweaks your perception of how things went."
    My guess is that Krivsky didn't necc. have an exact location in mind for Brendan. But knows of several teams that will offer for him and has a guy or 2in mind that he would be willing to accept for him. Guess that gives Ray-Ray a shot at making the roster, albeit a small shot.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Harris to be dealt?!

This is just a guess but I would not be surprised to see him land in KC. He is a Buddy Bell type player. Good luck to Harris.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Date Transaction

12/21/06 Acquired INF/OF Jeff Conine from the Philadelphia Phillies in exchange for Minor League INF Brad Key and Minor League OF Javon Moran; Designated IF Brendan Harris for assignment.
    Would need to be traded around jan 1, maybe its part of the three team deal thats being kicked around.

I guess for those saying his acquisition could have been a .....
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Krivsky has made a name for himself as someone who is willing to make many moves in order to win as soon as possible. Conine was the 46th player Krivsky has acquired since beginning his duties in February.
    46th player, I guess that he can't say that he hasn't had enough time or opportunities. I look forward to the next 46.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    46th player, I guess that he can't say that he hasn't had enough time or opportunities. I look forward to the next 46.
    Prediction is sometime during December 2007.

Though if they are in it at the all star break, it could be July 2006.

[QUOTE]1218170]Conine was the 46th player Krivsky has acquired since beginning his duties in February.
    QUOTE]

Throw enough crap on the wall and eventually something might just stick.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Harris should be out of options, so does he not have the right to refuse an AAA assignment?

I agree that chances are strongest that he'll be traded- hopefully for a reclamation-type pitcher or such- but I'd think that if I were Brendan I'd do everything I could to avoid more AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Prediction is sometime during December 2007.
    That soon!

Though if they are in it at the all star break, it could be July 2006
    Oh they will be in it alright, I am just wondering how deep!

same old same old

Whew. I thought you were talking about Lenny Harris. He really is the glue that holds this team together!
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

I say he'll land in down here in Atlanta...he'll get a hit in his first ab and the fans down here bow at the feet of Schuerholz and swear that playing for Bobby Cox had everything to do with his ability to get that hit! Now if only Leo was still around they'd swear he could make him a pitcher as well!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

[QUOTE=corkedbat;1218231]
    1218170]Conine was the 46th player Krivsky has acquired since beginning his duties in February.
    QUOTE]

Throw enough crap on the wall and eventually something might just stick.
    Bowden:Broken down veteran SP

as

Krivsky:Broken down veteran Util
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Whew. I thought you were talking about Lenny Harris. He really is the glue that holds this team together!

Careful not to give Wayne any ideas.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Though if they are in it at the all star break, it could be July 2006.
    I know WK's good, but if he can go BACK IN TIME, I'll give my first-born child.
    Here's to another record-breaking season from Adam Dunn ...another 40 homeruns (all coming with nothing on the line) and 200 Ks! We Want King Jay!!

Turn Off Ads?