Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adam Laroche is on the block and here's how the Reds can get him.

Adam Laroche is on the block and here's how the Reds can get him.

Per Fox Sports

The Braves are still talking to teams, trying to add another quality arm and perhaps a leadoff man, but they’re not going to trade Adam LaRoche or anyone else unless it’s a deal they believe makes their team better — now.

Reds get Adam Laroche

Braves get Ryan Freel and Brendan Harris.

The Braves have a hole at second and need a leadoff hitter. I think this works for both teams and gives the Reds that second power bat.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adam Laroche is on the block and here's how the Reds can get him.

I honestly don't see Laroche as an answer to any question. The Reds need another power bat but they need a RH bat. he has some rather nasty righty/lefty splits as well.
    Last edited by flyer85; 12-27-2006 at 01:58 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I thought they traded him to Pittsburgh for Gonzalez or something? Laroche hit 32 homers last year. Why in the world would they trade him for a leadoff hitter and a mediocre prospect? I'm confused. Are we talking about the same Laroche?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

We need another guy at 1B who can't hit lefties. Trade for LaRoche and do what with Votto? The trade to be made was Freel or Harris for Giles with Phillips moving to short... Krivksy thought Seabass was a better acquisition.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Are we talking about the same Laroche?
    the Braves do a really good job in assessing their young talent. Laroche has been mentioned in numerous trade offers. I am guessing the Braves think the 2nd half of the 2006 season is more of a fluke than a new level of performance.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I thought they traded him to Pittsburgh for Gonzalez or something? Laroche hit 32 homers last year. Why in the world would they trade him for a leadoff hitter and a mediocre prospect? I'm confused. Are we talking about the same Laroche?
    Pretty much the same thing I was thinking. Not to mention Freel would have a hard time trying to play 150+ games.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Would you do Hatteberg and Freel for Laroche?

Adds power to the lineup this year, keeps Votto at AAA and gives ability to to trade Laroche or Votto later for pitching.

If we're dealing with the Braves I'd rather package something together in the hopes of getting Tim Hudson.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Pretty much the same thing I was thinking. Not to mention Freel would have a hard time trying to play 150+ games.
    The deal fell apart at the last minute
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06341/744246-63.stm

The Braves are looking for a leadoff hitter which is what Freel is. They also have a need at 2B. Freel can fill both needs. Freel might also be able to avoid getting hurt so much if he can not be running and diving in the OF. Freel is a quality leadoff hitter and Harris is a throw in. He's a guy who was a pretty good infield prospect just a couple of years ago. A change of scenery might do him good. If I'm either team I would consider that deal.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

How about a 3 way deal:

Pirates Get: Laroche
    Reds Get: Mike Gonzales
    Braves get: Harris/Freel and Bray

I know the deal fell apart because Schuerholtz wanted both Gonzales and Sanchez. The Pirates alledgedly countered with Sanchez and Gonzales for Laroche and Davies (I believe), which wasn't enough for the Braves.

I like it, just don't know if the Pirates FO could deal with Gonzales in the same division. I would rather keep Freel and Bray but it's not likely too happen, if you want quality you must deal quality or at least potential quality.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 12-27-2006 at 02:56 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    the Braves do a really good job in assessing their young talent. Laroche has been mentioned in numerous trade offers. I am guessing the Braves think the 2nd half of the 2006 season is more of a fluke than a new level of performance.
    I think it has more to do with Corporte profits and a ready and cheaper Scott Thorman. Those 32 HR will drive up the arb cost. I'd be happy if the Reds got Laroche and I don't think it unrealistic for a cheap lead-off guy to get him, but I'd prefer Freel be used for a pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    The deal fell apart at the last minute
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06341/744246-63.stm

The Braves are looking for a leadoff hitter which is what Freel is. They also have a need at 2B. Freel can fill both needs. Freel might also be able to avoid getting hurt so much if he can not be running and diving in the OF. Freel is a quality leadoff hitter and Harris is a throw in. He's a guy who was a pretty good infield prospect just a couple of years ago. A change of scenery might do him good. If I'm either team I would consider that deal.
    Would you really give up Freel for a LH 1B? I'd rather see a 32 HR RH. JMO.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

You mean Vlad? Yeah sure if Freel can net him I'd be all for it..

Oh wait...
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    You mean Vlad? Yeah sure if Freel can net him I'd be all for it..

Oh wait...
    Sounds good to me!
    Cedric 3/24/08

So would I TC. But the Reds are in need of power right now (in addition to other needs) Right side, left side, or both sides, it doesn't matter. The Reds need power. Freel is one of the more tradeable players the Reds have and I think the Reds can afford to lose him. I like Freel but he's averaging 126 games a year played. That's 36 games a season where his considerable skills are not out there on the field. Getting the kind of offensive numbers that Laroche has is a lot harder to get than what Freel offers. Some say that Laroche doesn't hit lefties well enough but I know that he still wound up 10th in OPS in the NL this season and the vast majority of NL Central starters are righties. He is also still young and has plenty of room for improvement. I would take that over a talented but oft-injured OF'er who's now 30 years old and who has had off the field issues pop up more than once.

Turn Off Ads?