Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Feds to get hands dirty...

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Feds to get hands dirty...

How long do you think it will take for the names to be "leaked"?

SAN FRANCISCO -- Government investigators are entitled to the names and urine samples of about 100 Major League Baseball players who tested positive for illegal drug use in 2003, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.

The court's ruling could bolster the government's perjury case against Barry Bonds if his name is among those who tested positive. The slugger has been the target of a perjury investigation since he testified before a grand jury that he didn't knowingly ingest illegal drugs.

Greg Anderson, Bonds' personal trainer, is currently in prison for refusing to testify in the perjury probe. Anderson was previously convicted of steroids distribution.

Investigators seized computer files containing the test results in 2004 during raids on three labs involved in the Major League Baseball testing program the previous year.

The samples had been collected by the league as part of a survey to gauge the prevalence of steroid use. The results were to be kept secret.

Michael Weiner, general counsel for the Major League Baseball Players Union, didn't immediately respond to a telephone call and e-mail seeking comment.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Feds to get hands dirty...

I want to know every single name.
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Here, Here! I 2nd that motion!!!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    You probably DO know every name. That's the sad part of this.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    You probably DO know every name. That's the sad part of this.
    That's an excellent point. This list would only "confirm" our suspicions.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

The confirmation of suspicions might actually lead to a more balanced game-plate for the MLB? If this is what it takes, and I do not by any means wish for the worst..but..

I know no one wants to hear their hero cheated, or their idol was a fraud but sometmes you have to ask yourself, if its for the best that we know or for the best we dont know?
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    The confirmation of suspicions might actually lead to a more balanced game-plate for the MLB? If this is what it takes, and I do not by any means wish for the worst..but..

I know no one wants to hear their hero cheated, or their idol was a fraud but sometmes you have to ask yourself, if its for the best that we know or for the best we dont know?
    I agree with that notion as well. What I fear is the fan backlash. Could the backlash be more severe than the last strike? Possibly.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I agree with that notion as well. What I fear is the fan backlash. Could the backlash be more severe than the last strike? Possibly.
    I think backlash from a cover-up would be worse.

Bud Selig and MLB really have no choice but to release those names to the public and suspend the players.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

So true. I don't know what to say to that, because the outcome of that is going to be walking into your house slapping the kids in the face than basically laughing while everyone else stands there going .
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    What do they have now?

Baseball hasn't exactly been forthcoming with information about steroid use during the last decade or so. It's been their dirty little secret for some time.

Bud Selig and MLB really have no choice but to release those names to the public and suspend the players.
    They are in the midst of a cover-up IMO. Time to pull a "Rose".

I like your suspension idea but that will never happen. Not to mention Baseball would be missing a large majority of the fans favorite players for awhile. Baseball would be like the '91 Reds. AAAA
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    What do they have now?

Baseball hasn't exactly been forthcoming with information about steroid use during the last decade or so. It's been their dirty little secret for some time.
    True, but it's becoming less and less of a secret. There are actual numbers now. Actual names, not just whispers and speculation.

It's getting harder to ignore the elephant in the room.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    They are in the midst of a cover-up IMO. Time to pull a "Rose".

I like your suspension idea but that will never happen. Not to mention Baseball would be missing a large majority of the fans favorite players for awhile. Baseball would be like the '91 Reds. AAAA
    What do you do then? Make an example of a few of the big-time offenders, sweep the debris under the rug and promise to keep a sharper eye on things from here on?

Not sure that the results would bolster a perjury charge. Supposedly(at least what has been reported) is that Bonds didn't deny taking steroids, he denied knowingly taking steroids. He left open the possibility that "supplements" given him by his personal trainer may have contained steroids. Of course we know he would be lying but without the testimony of Anderson it is hard to see them making a perjury charge stick. The test results may prove he was taking steroids but they wouldn't prove he knowingly took them(as absurd as that may seem in the case of Bonds).

True, but it's becoming less and less of a secret. There are actual numbers now. Actual names, not just whispers and speculation.

It's getting harder to ignore the elephant in the room.
    Yes, but I think a great reason why people are so upset by the steroid use is that they believe the MLB powers-that-be were well aware of what was going on for years and elected to turn a blind eye to it in the name of ratings and cash (I'm thinking specifically of Sosa-McGwire, and Bonds).

Now, whether or not there was an active campaign to supress evidence--I haven't yet seen an indication of that. But I think a lot of people view MLB as complicit in the negligent and illegal activities undertaken by their star players. MLB is now only acknowledging the painfully obvious.

Turn Off Ads?