Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Screen, Plasma, LCD HDTV... HELP!!!

Flat Screen, Plasma, LCD HDTV... HELP!!!

I had a 32" Sony which bit the dust a couple weeks before Thanksgiving. They tried EVERYTHING to fix it, including a new circuit board. No dice.

So I'm in the market for a new TV.

First of all, I do not subscribe to any premium channels nor do I have digital cable (and won't be getting it in the near future) because to put it bluntly, I simply can't afford it on top of all the other stuff that nickle and dimes my budget these days. Regular cable is ok for me until it's no longer available.

I'm hoping to stick with Sony but am willing to consider other brands if they are good. Any brand suggestions and, if so, why?

The bigger question on my mind is, what type of television should I be considering (besides nothing with a picture tube)?

Plasma: I'm not sure I can afford it so that can probably be eliminated right off the top unless someone can give me a whole lot of reasons why that is the way to go.

LCD, HDTV, Digital, Flat Screen? I don't even know what all that means.

Sears has a 32" Sony flat screen SDTV with built-in ATSC digital tuner for $649.99. Is that a good thing? I think I'm willing to go as high as about $800, hopefully on sale so that I'll actually be getting an even better one.

Also, is it a good idea to buy the extended warranty? I never do and so far have never needed it (it wouldn't have helped with my Sony because it was too old).

I need a fairly quick education. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Flat Screen, Plasma, LCD HDTV... HELP!!!

I can't help you, but check this out:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ghlight=buying

Looks like some advice and redirects in here.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I just bought a 46 inch LCD for Christmas and am loving it like nothing else.

That doesn't really help you with what they all mean, I don't have time to go into all that but hopefully somebody else does.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Okay, I'll tell you what I know as I am in the market for a new TV myself in the near future and have done some homework.

Plasma-Probably the best picture quality of all the "High Definition" TV's, also the most expensive in most cases. The biggest downfall of a plasma is the have a relatively short life span since the plasma, much like blood in a human, has it's own "life" and will burn out after an average of 8 years as I understand it.

LCD-Very good quality picture second to only plasma, and to the naked eye probably no different at all. These TV's are a little less expensive in most cases depending on the size you want, if you want to see the picture quality of a LCD screen look no further than a laptop computer, LCD screens are standard with them.

DLP-This is a fairly new player in the high def game, these TV's are actually rear projection which is powered by thousands of tiny little mirrors inside the set. From what I've seen of these they are the best bang for your buck if you want to go high def, they may not "yet" be as sharp as plasma or LCD, but it is also a new technology which is still improving, and will still be a hell of a lot better than any standard def TV set. Probably the best thing about DLP is the fact that it will have the longest life span of the the big three due to it being projection instead of plasma or LCD which will suffer burnout.

The only other info I have to offer is that of resolutions, SDTV which I believe you asked about in your post stands for "Standard Definition TV" This means it is broadcast in 480I resolution, this number is the same for all SDTV's. The next levels are all considered HDTV or "High Definiton" These resolutions are, from worst to best, 720I, 720P, 1080I, and 1080P. "I" stands for interlaced and "P" stands for progressive, which is how the pixels get sent across the screen, progressive is better, but again, more expensive.

My best advice to you, go HDTV, it makes a world of difference and soon SDTV's will be obsolete. In your price range I would recommend staying away from plasma, glance at the LCD's, and take a good long hard look at DLP, you may be able to swing a 30 inch DLP in the 800-1000 dollar price range, hopefully this info helped you out in your decision.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Wow, TJ! Thank you soooooooooo much!

It's definitely HDTV all the way. I'm on the fence regarding LCD vs DLP. New technologies that are not yet tried and true always scare me; plus, you say it isn't yet as good as LCD. Hopefully, I won't be buying another TV for many years so I should probably go with LCD at this time.

I'm still thinking though... again, thanks so much.

And VP, I'll take a look at that link too. ty.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

If you watch sports, chose plasma.

I bought a 42" LG plasma in November...nice set. Panasonic also makes great TVs in the plasma market.

the only reason to choose LCD (TODAY) is if you watch TV in brightly lit rooms. I have several windows in the room where my TV is and I have no problems.

Do the research...with all of the crazy stuff before Christmas, I paid $1,199 for my set (at Circuit City). Not bad.

You won't be disappointed. Great purchase.
    VBR IS LIVING IN CINCINNATI...I FEEL GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

How could we forget the magic that was Rob Dicken?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

This should answer most of your questions:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Televisions/...9.html?tag=dir
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I would keep my eyes peeled for a deal on one of the Hot Deal forums such as Fatwallet.com or Slickdeals.net.

At Fatwallet you can also enter in a keyword such as "LCD" or "Plasma" and you will be automatically notified when a deal comes up. I would aim for an 37 inch HDTV with integrated ATSC tuner LCD or Plasma for under $700. It's real possible to get a deal in that price range and than some.

With an ATSC tuner it is very possible to get HD channels CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox etc. with a small antenna in some areas.

Enter your address in at antennaweb.org to see what local HD channels you can get and what type of antenna you would need.

With no cable digital or HD channels, you're basically buying a DVD screen.

My 42" Plasma looks fantastic with my Sony up-converting HD DVD player - and anything broadcast in HD - but anything else looks pretty crappy. Digital channels do look better than analog broadcasts, but I think the FCC has mandated all broadcasts to be digital at some point in 2007, HD in 2009. Right now the digital-only broadcasts look better on a CRT TV with a digital tube, and smaller LCD's (minus 32 inches or so) if you use an S-Video or HDMI cable etc..., But the big, heavy CRT's with a digital tube with flat screens look great across the board, and will, for the next 3 years at least. Again Plasma's and LCD's only are worthwhile in digital broadcasts, HD and DVD format (because it is also digital - preferably a DVD upconvertor that can display in HD 16:9 and at least 720p).

Plasma sets last 30-40,000 hours (2-3 years) and LCD's 40-60,000 hours (3-5 years) so keep that in mind also, based on what I've read.

I would go the LCD route if you're set on an HD TV, and you will really enjoy your DVD movies, ecspecially if you get a $115-$150 DVD upconvertor player for HD, and it will last longer than your Plasma and cost a bit less.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

Wow! I just read this entire thread (thx for the link) and my head is spinning! I'm now more confused than ever and have absolutely no idea what to buy... IMHO, each type has a serious downside that doesn't justify the upside (or the cost)... burn-in, side angle viewing, special cables, imperfect blacks, lamp replacement, costly warranties... good Lord!!

It really really shouldn't be this hard to buy a TV that will last and give you a decent picture... which is all I want and perfectly describes a CRT television. But unfortunately, they are being phased out so I don't want to waste my money... plus, they're so heavy. My 32" weighed a ton.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

I would not buy a plasma unless you buy a commercial plasma (like at airports) these are expensive about double the price. They say that the half like if 8-10 years on a regular plasma. That's crappy!!! That means in 8 years the TV will be half as bright as when you bought it. I guess that also means that it will be 25% less bright in like 4 or 5 years. No thanks. LCD is your best bet for the money.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

This one isn't bad for about $900 plus tax....

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polar...oductDetail.do

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Wow! I just read this entire thread (thx for the link) and my head is spinning! I'm now more confused than ever and have absolutely no idea what to buy... IMHO, each type has a serious downside that doesn't justify the upside (or the cost)... burn-in, side angle viewing, special cables, imperfect blacks, lamp replacement, costly warranties... good Lord!!

It really really shouldn't be this hard to buy a TV that will last and give you a decent picture... which is all I want and perfectly describes a CRT television. But unfortunately, they are being phased out so I don't want to waste my money... plus, they're so heavy. My 32" weighed a ton.
    I hear you. I have been looking for a new TV for my bedroom. I would like a 32" TV, and am limited by how deep the TV can be as it goes in an armoire. That thread just left me paralized. I would like to spend the same or less than you want to. What do most people think about Olevia and Vizio? They recieve alot of advertising and they seem to fit both mine, and TeamBoone's parameters. One more question, what is the life expectance of an LCD TV?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

I also don't understand what all the ratios mean.

You guys are great; thank you so much for all your help.

Turn Off Ads?