Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Flat Screen, Plasma, LCD HDTV... HELP!!!

Re: Flat Screen, Plasma, LCD HDTV... HELP!!!

My daughter is buying a flat screen television this weekend. Since there are no Best Buy or other large electronic dealers in her area, she is going to buy one at Walmart.

She took a well paying job in the area in February and has been renting a nice home. She is not planning on mounting it on the wall because she is pretty sure the landlords will not let her drill holes and mount a bracket of some sort. My wife, son, and I are going up this weekend (three hours away) for a visit, and I plan to help her install it.

I have a few questions.

1) Are there any problems transporting flat screen TVs? I plan on putting it in the back seat of our family sedan.

2) Since she won't be mounting it on the wall, is there a suggested kind of stand? She plans on putting it in the corner of the livingroom.

3) Which tools am I likely to need in installing it? Any installing tips?

4) Are there any surprises I'm likely to encounter? I remember a friend buying one a couple of years ago and was surprised when he got it home. I don't remember what surprised him, but he is really, really long-winded and...well, I'd rather ask you guys.

Thanks.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Walmart has some very good prices on flat-screens. Online, there are a lot more options at very good prices, too. Deals are always out there if you're willing to wait for delivery. Sites like this help: http://www.techbargains.com/

To answer your questions:

1) It should be fine in the back seat. Just keep it upright and don't put pressure on the sides.

2) Stands (TV shelf) can be found at Walmart or Target. Just pick one that suits your taste and budget.

3) You'll likely only need a screwdriver. Flat panels come with a pedestal for when you don't mount it on the wall. You'll likely have to slide the TV down onto posts and use the provided screws to secure the TV to the pedestal.

Chances are, cables will be provided with the TV. However, if your daughter uses satellite or a cable box to watch TV, be aware that you have to have either "component" or "HDMI" cable to view HD signals. If you have to buy either one of those, they will cost you FAR more in the store than you'll pay online. We're talking 4-5X more in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Walmart has some very good prices on flat-screens. Online, there are a lot more options at very good prices, too. Deals are always out there if you're willing to wait for delivery. Sites like this help: http://www.techbargains.com/

To answer your questions:

1) It should be fine in the back seat. Just keep it upright and don't put pressure on the sides.

2) Stands (TV shelf) can be found at Walmart or Target. Just pick one that suits your taste and budget.

3) You'll likely only need a screwdriver. Flat panels come with a pedestal for when you don't mount it on the wall. You'll likely have to slide the TV down onto posts and use the provided screws to secure the TV to the pedestal.

Chances are, cables will be provided with the TV. However, if your daughter uses satellite or a cable box to watch TV, be aware that you have to have either "component" or "HDMI" cable to view HD signals. If you have to buy either one of those, they will cost you FAR more in the store than you'll pay online. We're talking 4-5X more in the store.
    Good point about the cables. For HDMI cables I recommend a site called monoprice.com. You will get good quality cables for a few dollars. Big stores will try to get you to buy Monster cables don't buy those the prices is horribly high.

Thank you very much, guys! I really appreciate the information. I was not sure what tools I needed or even what I needed to know to install this thing. I feel much more confident now! Thanks!
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Good point about the cables. For HDMI cables I recommend a site called monoprice.com. You will get good quality cables for a few dollars. Big stores will try to get you to buy Monster cables don't buy those the prices is horribly high.
    +1 on monoprice.com. Quality stuff at very good prices.

+3 for Monoprice.

Monoprice gets a big thumbs up from me, too.

Monoprice is great!
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?