Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Screen, Plasma, LCD HDTV... HELP!!!

I'm toolsy.

Re: Flat Screen, Plasma, LCD HDTV... HELP!!!

While all of this tech talk is completely over my head, I have been doing a little research for my own purchase. I think I am sold on this Vizio:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Vizio_L32HDT...-31661373.html

It can be bought at Costco for $600 - $700. The CNet review isn't the best that I've read, but the customer reviews are a lot better. I think this is one of the best "values" in HDTVs right now. I'll be using this as a secondary bedroom TV.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I'm toolsy.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Don't forget HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. I'm itching to go grab a player, I'm just worried I'll select the format that eventually goes the way of Betamax.
    Still saving up for my PS3 (if I can ever fine one) with built in Blu-Ray player. The Xbox 360 is coming out with an add on HD-DVD player as well.

The XBOX360 HD-DVD add-on is out (launched in November). I have a 360 so it's definitely the most cost-effective way to go ($199), but it has its limitations (most notably in the sound department; it outputs DD5.1 but not TrueHD audio, ie lossless).

Don't forget HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. I'm itching to go grab a player, I'm just worried I'll select the format that eventually goes the way of Betamax.
    True. But I'm guessing that the cost of a Beta/VHS player back in the day represented a bigger chunk of the family income than a Blu-Ray--I don't know that, but technology seems in general more affordable nowadays. Plus, it would be cool to have a technological dinosaur, like a TRS-80, lying around in your attic.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Plasma-Probably the best picture quality of all the "High Definition" TV's, also the most expensive in most cases. The biggest downfall of a plasma is the have a relatively short life span since the plasma, much like blood in a human, has it's own "life" and will burn out after an average of 8 years as I understand it.
    Nah, plasma's will last just as long as any other television technology available today. And unless you buy a 1080p plasma television, the prices are pretty similar.

LCD-Very good quality picture second to only plasma, and to the naked eye probably no different at all. These TV's are a little less expensive in most cases depending on the size you want, if you want to see the picture quality of a LCD screen look no further than a laptop computer, LCD screens are standard with them.
    Trailing is pretty common on LCD tv's. And you can't compare the picture quality of LCD in hi-def with that of a laptop screen.

DLP-This is a fairly new player in the high def game, these TV's are actually rear projection which is powered by thousands of tiny little mirrors inside the set. From what I've seen of these they are the best bang for your buck if you want to go high def, they may not "yet" be as sharp as plasma or LCD, but it is also a new technology which is still improving, and will still be a hell of a lot better than any standard def TV set. Probably the best thing about DLP is the fact that it will have the longest life span of the the big three due to it being projection instead of plasma or LCD which will suffer burnout.
    Everything I've read about DLP is that the bulbs need replaced very frequently (every 8000 hours, which probably equals about 4 years), to the tune of $400 or so.
    you may be able to swing a 30 inch DLP in the 800-1000 dollar price range,
    I don't think they make DLP televisions that small.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    True. But I'm guessing that the cost of a Beta/VHS player back in the day represented a bigger chunk of the family income than a Blu-Ray--I don't know that, but technology seems in general more affordable nowadays. Plus, it would be cool to have a technological dinosaur, like a TRS-80, lying around in your attic.
    Sounds like a man with first-hand experience.

I'm sure I'll get one or the other...and soon. I'm not so good with the whole patience thing.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Everything I've read about DLP is that the bulbs need replaced very frequently (every 8000 hours, which probably equals about 4 years), to the tune of $400 or so.
    Every 4 years is very frequently?

I might be in the minority here, but I don't want to keep the same tv for 8 years. Technology grows leaps and bounds.

The XBOX360 HD-DVD add-on is out (launched in November). I have a 360 so it's definitely the most cost-effective way to go ($199), but it has its limitations (most notably in the sound department; it outputs DD5.1 but not TrueHD audio, ie lossless).
    Lossless? Really?

I don't know much about how they go about trying to achieve that, but even optical systems have a small amount of loss.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I know little about all this stuff, but did take the dive in November and purchased an Olevia 32" HD LCD monitor and really like it. Paid about $540 delivered through Target.com
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    While all of this tech talk is completely over my head, I have been doing a little research for my own purchase. I think I am sold on this Vizio:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Vizio_L32HDT...-31661373.html

It can be bought at Costco for $600 - $700. The CNet review isn't the best that I've read, but the customer reviews are a lot better. I think this is one of the best "values" in HDTVs right now. I'll be using this as a secondary bedroom TV.
    I have heard/read nothing but good reviews of the Vizio.

And Costco has a great return policy.

So do people like Vizio and Olevia. They are brands that are very new. What is their story, support, and system like? Olevia has a few 32" models that really interest me.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

RBA your response beat my question. I have seen that Vizio that FutureRedsGM, has and I like it, and have seen it priced as low as $650.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown View Post
    Getting bulbs replaced is one of many reasons why getting the extended service agreements are a good idea. I have a service agreement on my Sony 42" LCD rear projection TV and they will replace the bulbs as part of the service agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Every 4 years is very frequently?

I might be in the minority here, but I don't want to keep the same tv for 8 years. Technology grows leaps and bounds.
    4 years is pretty frequent. I don't know anyone who replaces a large TV such as that after 4 years...

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

4 years is pretty frequent. I don't know anyone who replaces a large TV such as that after 4 years...
    And I don't know many people who keep their TV for more than 8, so you have to change it once on average. Big deal.

Turn Off Ads?