Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Screen, Plasma, LCD HDTV... HELP!!!

Re: Flat Screen, Plasma, LCD HDTV... HELP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Plasma sets last 30-40,000 hours (2-3 years) and LCD's 40-60,000 hours (3-5 years) so keep that in mind also, based on what I've read.
    These numbers are kinda misleading, CJ. There are only 8,760 hours in a year, so if you ran a TV 24 hours a day, it would take over 4.5 years to burn it out. Many Plasmas are now advertised at 60,000 hours, so that would work out to over 27 years of use at six hours a day. Of course, we won't know for over twenty more years if these claims are going to hold true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25
    Plasma-Probably the best picture quality of all the "High Definition" TV's, also the most expensive in most cases. The biggest downfall of a plasma is the have a relatively short life span since the plasma, much like blood in a human, has it's own "life" and will burn out after an average of 8 years as I understand it.

LCD-Very good quality picture second to only plasma, and to the naked eye probably no different at all. These TV's are a little less expensive in most cases depending on the size you want, if you want to see the picture quality of a LCD screen look no further than a laptop computer, LCD screens are standard with them.

DLP-This is a fairly new player in the high def game, these TV's are actually rear projection which is powered by thousands of tiny little mirrors inside the set. From what I've seen of these they are the best bang for your buck if you want to go high def, they may not "yet" be as sharp as plasma or LCD, but it is also a new technology which is still improving, and will still be a hell of a lot better than any standard def TV set. Probably the best thing about DLP is the fact that it will have the longest life span of the the big three due to it being projection instead of plasma or LCD which will suffer burnout.
    A distinction that should be made is that there are LCD Flat Panels, which are more expensive than Plasma in many cases, and LCD Rear Projection, which are among the least expensive HDTV's along with the other projection technologies (DLP, etc). And again, they're advertising flat panels (both LCD and Plasma) at 60K hours, so life span shouldn't be an issue. I don't know of anyone that keeps a TV more than 15 years or so anyway. Plus, rear projection TVs have a bulb that burns out and must be replaced at $200-300 a pop (I forget how many hours they're supposed to last).

Based on what I had read online, the wife and I had all but decided to go with a Sony rear projection. But after we saw them in the store, we realized that the side viewing angles were bad and the images just weren't as crisp as they were on the flat panels. It may have been the way the store had them set up and adjusted, I don't know. But regardless, we've now decided to keep saving nickels until we can get the 50" flat panel that we want.

TB, here are more links that may help you sort through all of this:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...e/tv_hdtv.html

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5102926-1.html?tag=prmo1
    (may be the same as the one Jpup provided)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZrAP3qq....aspx?g=260050

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

TB, if you don't plan to order digital cable or HDTV service, I would look for a 30-34" CRT HDTV. If you can find one with a built-in HD tuner you can at least get a few Hi-Def channels for free with an external antenna. Truly, though, standard definition broadcast on a LCD/Plasma/DLP is not awe inspiring. A CRT is much more forgiving - and, if you get a HD CRT, future proof as well. My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Sears has a 32" Sony flat screen SDTV with built-in ATSC digital tuner for $649.99. Is that a good thing? I think I'm willing to go as high as about $800, hopefully on sale so that I'll actually be getting an even better one.
    TB, I just went back and noticed this part of your post. The TV you referenced is a tube television. Perhaps the use of the words "flat screen" misled you. Flat screen is not the same as flat panel. Flat screen means that the glass that makes up the picture is flat and square, as opposed to curved outward and with rounded corners, like so many of the old TVs were. Most CRT (tube) TVs today (except for the lowest-end bargain models) have flat screens, but they're still tube TVs - they're thick and heavy, just like TVs have been for decades.

EDIT: I was composing my post as GIK was posting, and he is exactly right! Just because it seems that the whole world is jumping headfirst onto the big screen HDTV bandwagon, doesn't mean it is the best choice for everyone. Non-digital (analog) signals look better on a tube TV than anything else, and it will be several years before HDTV becomes the norm rather than the exception. By then, the price of sets will have come down drastically.
    Last edited by macro; 12-27-2006 at 11:41 PM.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I concur with GIK and Macro. If you aren't going to get any HDTV, don't get an HDTV. Standard broadcasts can be pretty fuzzy. It's a price some of us will pay to see HD (Sunrise Earth-wow!) but if it isn't your thing, don't get it. If you do decide to get it, for the over the air broadbasts on network (free), don't worry about an HD antennae, there really isn't one- HD is broadcast on UHF and VHF bands, and a standard antennae is fine, as long as it's specsa are appropriate.

You might want to PM RBA about this too.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Also on a wide-screen all those skinny Hollywood stars look normal with the SDTV stretched.

40" LCD TV with tuner $900 after $100 rebate.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...98146&t=409265

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    TB, if you don't plan to order digital cable or HDTV service, I would look for a 30-34" CRT HDTV. If you can find one with a built-in HD tuner you can at least get a few Hi-Def channels for free with an external antenna. Truly, though, standard definition broadcast on a LCD/Plasma/DLP is not awe inspiring. A CRT is much more forgiving - and, if you get a HD CRT, future proof as well. My 2 cents.
    I think this is the direction Mrs Ltlabner and I are going to go. We don't have digital cable and don't watch tons and tons of movies. We just want a little bigger screen and little bigger picture than what we already have.

We're looking at this one...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134703573897

We don't want to get much bigger with the overall size of the unit. If you get much bigger than this size it seems like the TV cabinet gets huge. So this is a good size, the price is right and compared to the wall of TV's at the store, the picture looked really good.

If anybody has any experience with this unit please let me know. I found a number of positive reviews on the web but am always interested if something measures up to the RZ standard.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

This is the CRT (tube) HDTV I have (30" version) in the living room:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138087658070

I absolutely recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I found a number of positive reviews on the web but am always interested if something measures up to the RZ standard.
    Start reading:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=634002

Also, if you find the TV you like at a local store, Circuit City has a temporary pricematch policy of 125 Percent.

Maybe this one...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OLEVI...oductDetail.do

OLEVIA 32" 2 Series LCD HDTV

Order anytime @ 1-800-843-2489 Home > TV & Video > Televisions > Flat Panel TVs > Product Information for OLV 232V
    Email a friend document.write(' Print'); Print

function createPageView(pageId,catId) { cmSetProduction(); cmCreatePageviewTag(pageId,catId,"","","","","","" ,"");}
    Enlarge
    More images
    3D View OLEVIA 32" 2 Series LCD HDTV (232V)

OLV 232V
    720p resolution
    1600:1 contrast ratio
    Widescreen (16:9)

Built-in HD tuner
    HDMI input
    PC-compatible

Price was:
    $899.99
    You save:
    -$300.00

You pay:
    $599.99

You absolutely want to get one with a built in HD tuner to pick up HD local broadcasts from networks. They are great. Don't buy a CRT. (dead man walking).

RBA, would you recommend one capable of 1080 just to be more future-proof?
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    You absolutely want to get one with a built in HD tuner to pick up HD local broadcasts from networks. They are great.
    Without a doubt. The best picture you're going to view on your HDTV are local HD signals. Only DVDs with component cables come close.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Don't buy a CRT. (dead man walking).
    I disagree 100%. You cannot currently match the picture quality of a CRT, especially with standard-def (which TB seems to want). If you have the space for one and don't want/need a picture larger than 34", they cannot be beat.

Do try and find a set with a built-in HD tuner, though, if you don't have/want a HD cable box.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Without a doubt. The best picture you're going to view on your HDTV are local HD signals. Only DVDs with component cables come close.
    Don't forget HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. I'm itching to go grab a player, I'm just worried I'll select the format that eventually goes the way of Betamax.

Turn Off Ads?