Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Screen, Plasma, LCD HDTV... HELP!!!

Man Pills

Re: Flat Screen, Plasma, LCD HDTV... HELP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post

This is just a horrible dilemma for me. I stood there like a deer caught in the headlights and most of the things I read here and thought I'd committed to memory just went right out of my head!
    Don't be ashamed to make a list and bring it with you. I've got occasional swiss cheese brain, so I have to. If you feel the guy at the store's giving you the runaround or the bait-and-switch, say sayanora. But now that most places don't work on commission, most people tend to be more honest with you than at times in the past.

And if you don't know exactly what he/she's talking about, pretend as though you do....

I think the key is basically knowing three things: 1. your price range (be honest with yourself) 2. the quality of picture--you don't have to be a rocket scientist--you know what looks good to you. 3. the reliability and support of the company making the TV.

My wife and I just purchased an Olevia 27" screen (I think Phillips may actually produce the LCD screens for the Olevia company) for $475 at Circuit City on Black Saturday, a progressive scan DVD player, component cables, and we're in hog heaven. But your mileage may vary. I'm not a tech geek; I'm a bargain hunter who knows what I want in the hunt.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would still get one that has 1080 rather than 720. You won't have to pay more.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

I started looking at some today but still haven't made any kind of final decision. Once I do, and see what I want in a store, I'll check out the same models on the websites RBA recommended (thanks RBA).

If I go LCD HDTV I think I've decided on either 37" or 42". Initially, I thought 32" was big enough, but after really looking at them, I don't think so. My living room is fairly large and the sofa is 10-12 feet away from the TV.

I just HATE the weight of CRT TVs. My 32" Sony took 3 men and a gorilla to move (I have no men nor any gorillas at my disposal). And I just hate to keep bothering my male neighbors to do the heavy lifting. Plus, if CRT TVs really are being phased out, I don't want to be left empty handed when cable goes completely digital. I keep my TVs until they die and don't want to have to replace it anytime soon.

Anyway, this is what I read on the box of the one that caught my eye today (the picture looked really good); let me know what you think:

Magnavox 37" LCD HDTV: $997 (regularly $1394).

- receives digital, analog, and aired local signals
    - HDMI
    - max 720 p display capability
    - 1366x768 resolution
    - 1200:1 constant ratio (whatever that means)

I also looked closely at a Symphonic 32" with a built-in digital tuner (don't know if the one above had one or not). Again, the picture looked really nice but I've not seen that anyone has recommended this brand and you guys know a whole lot more than I do.

Every single one that I saw received local digital signals.

This is just a horrible dilemma for me. I stood there like a deer caught in the headlights and most of the things I read here and thought I'd committed to memory just went right out of my head!
    From 10-12 ft. you are going to need, at least, a 50" TV if you are expecting to ever get HDTV. 37" is way too small from that distance. If you are going to strictly stick with SD, you will be fine. I don't know if you looked at the link that I gave you, but it will help you understand all of these things. CNET is a great resource for new tech. If you really want to learn the basics and get the most out of your TV, you should check it out.

I would also not reccommend getting a Magnavox or Symphonic. I would stick with either Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG, or Hitachi. avsforum.com is another invaluabe resource when considering all things tech. If you go to a big box retailer such as best buy, remember that you don't have to pay the sticker price. You can save hundreds of dollars if you go with a higher end set. Also remember that the picture in the store is nothing like what you will see when you get it home.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Also remember that the picture in the store is nothing like what you will see when you get it home.
    That's not entirely true. It's just that stores amp the brightness up.

Plus, if CRT TVs really are being phased out, I don't want to be left empty handed when cable goes completely digital. I keep my TVs until they die and don't want to have to replace it anytime soon.
    I completely understand your reasons for wanting a plasma/LCD in terms of weight, but do not think for one moment that a CRT will be worthless in a few years. As long as you pick a HD unit, it's "future proof". That being said, enjoy whatever you get!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    That's not entirely true. It's just that stores amp the brightness up.
    the stores don't do anything. they ship from the manufacturers that way. the picture will look much, much better when you get it dialed in at home.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I would still get one that has 1080 rather than 720. You won't have to pay more.
    Jax, are you referring to one particular set or across the board? Because 1080p LCDs run about $1000 more than 720s of the same size and brand.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    I completely understand your reasons for wanting a plasma/LCD in terms of weight, but do not think for one moment that a CRT will be worthless in a few years. As long as you pick a HD unit, it's "future proof". That being said, enjoy whatever you get!
    Here I go again being stupid.

Are you saying that if I get a CRT TV that all I really need to keep in mind is that it should be High Definition?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    the stores don't do anything. they ship from the manufacturers that way. the picture will look much, much better when you get it dialed in at home.
    Actually FCB is right, amping up the brightness is exactly what they do. I was doing some work for Panasonic in November I traveled to most of the Best Buy stores in Indiana and one of the things I did was make sure their TVs had the brightness turned up to the correct setting, which was much higher than most people watch it at.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    Actually FCB is right, amping up the brightness is exactly what they do. I was doing some work for Panasonic in November I traveled to most of the Best Buy stores in Indiana and one of the things I did was make sure their TVs had the brightness turned up to the correct setting, which was much higher than most people watch it at.
    I am not disagreeing that the brightness is turned up, I know that. The manufacturers are the ones who turn it up. Just like you stated that you went and around and made sure they were turned up. If you get a brand new TV out of the box, the brightness will also be unusually high. The stores just take them out of the box and turn them on the default factory settings. BTW, it makes them look terrible. Anyone who could watch a TV on factory settings has some serious sight issues.

I just bought a Samsung 1080p 50" DLP and I am having some serious calibrating problems.

Are there any guides out there that will get your TV calibrated properly?
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    I just bought a Samsung 1080p 50" DLP and I am having some serious calibrating problems.

Are there any guides out there that will get your TV calibrated properly?
    what do you mean by calibrating problems? Explain and maybe I can help. If you are just talking about the basic settings on the TV, then you should pick up the Avia Guide to Home Theatre. That is what I use and it did wonders for basic adjustments. If you are have more serious issues such as geometry issues, bowing, etc. then I would just take the television back to where you got it from since you said that you just bought it. There is also the professional calibration route that you could go, but that could cost upwards of 400 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/AVIA-Guide-Hom...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Digital Video Essentials is another calibration disk that is out there and has gotten great reviews but it's said to be much harder to use. I don't know as I don't have it. The HD-DVD version is coming out at the end of January if you have a hd-dvd player, you might want to go that route.

Just explain your situation and I'm sure I can help you out. Check out avsforum and look for you specific model number to see if your problems are common or not.
    Last edited by Jpup; 12-29-2006 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Jax, are you referring to one particular set or across the board? Because 1080p LCDs run about $1000 more than 720s of the same size and brand.
    I wasn't referring to 1080p, but if you are investing $1,000 in a set, might as well get one that takes full advantage of Hi Def.

"In North America, Fox, My Network TV (also owned by Fox), ABC, and ESPN (ABC and ESPN are both owned by Disney) currently broadcast 720p content. NBC, Universal HD (both owned by General Electric), CBS, The CW, HBO, Showtime, Starz!, INHD, HDNet ,TNT, and Discovery HD Theater currently broadcast 1080i content."

She's looking at a 37" for $1,000 that does 720 max, here's a 37" that does 1080i for same price.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4529487
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-29-2006 at 10:30 AM.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Here I go again being stupid.

Are you saying that if I get a CRT TV that all I really need to keep in mind is that it should be High Definition?
    Yes.

For example, any of the following (CRT, HDTV, digital, widescreen):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134703573897
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138087675171
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1149207784284
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138087658070

They also ALL have built-in HDTV tuners (ie, free HDTV from local over-the-air stations).

I still say that if you can deal with the 'bulk', a HDTV CRT is your best bet with what you plan to do with it.

I bought a CRT widescreen HDTV last year. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. Reasons:

1. It weighs a ton.
    2. I move a lot, since I'm military.
    3. Some base/post housing is cramp. And it takes up a lot of space from the wall.
    4. It adds to the allowable weight when I move.
    5. I have a wife who likes to move things around every two months.
    6. It weighs a ton.

Turn Off Ads?