Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Screen, Plasma, LCD HDTV... HELP!!!

Re: Flat Screen, Plasma, LCD HDTV... HELP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I wasn't referring to 1080p, but if you are investing $1,000 in a set, might as well get one that takes full advantage of Hi Def.

"In North America, Fox, My Network TV (also owned by Fox), ABC, and ESPN (ABC and ESPN are both owned by Disney) currently broadcast 720p content. NBC, Universal HD (both owned by General Electric), CBS, The CW, HBO, Showtime, Starz!, INHD, HDNet ,TNT, and Discovery HD Theater currently broadcast 1080i content."

She's looking at a 37" for $1,000 that does 720 max, here's a 37" that does 1080i for same price.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4529487
    You aren't going to see much difference between 1080i and 720p. You will notice a difference with 1080p.

1080i, yes, technically displays more pixels - but not as many as you'd think because it is interlaced and not progressive (1.037 million for 1080i, .922 million for 720p and 2.074 million for 1080p).

720p, because it's progressive, will resolve artifacts better than 1080i during motion sequences. You'd really only see any sort of difference during a stationary shot with 1080i.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've had several people tell me that the Blu-Ray players will lose the battle in HD DVD components. They said that the Blu-Ray image isn't as sharp as a regular HD DVD player and that the Blu-Ray disks are going to be $10-25 more expensive than the HD DVD disks to purchase.

I'm not relaying the gospel here, but just info I was told from some people in the industry. Makes sense to me. Why would you choose a player that has a worse image and pay $10-25 more for each disk?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I bought a CRT widescreen HDTV last year. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. Reasons:

1. It weighs a ton.
    2. I move a lot, since I'm military.
    3. Some base/post housing is cramp. And it takes up a lot of space from the wall.
    4. It adds to the allowable weight when I move.
    5. I have a wife who likes to move things around every two months.
    6. It weighs a ton.
    Great point.

TB, if you plan to move the TV around at all then a CRT is probably not your best bet. However, if it will be set up and then sit for years then I wouldn't discount it.

I also have no problem moving my 150-lb CRT. RBA must be getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    You aren't going to see much difference between 1080i and 720p. You will notice a difference with 1080p.

720p, because it's progressive, will resolve artifacts better than 1080i during motion sequences. You'd really only see any sort of difference during a stationary shot with 1080i.

This is why ABC/ESPN decided on the 720P because sports show up better on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I've had several people tell me that the Blu-Ray players will lose the battle in HD DVD components. They said that the Blu-Ray image isn't as sharp as a regular HD DVD player and that the Blu-Ray disks are going to be $10-25 more expensive than the HD DVD disks to purchase.

I'm not relaying the gospel here, but just info I was told from some people in the industry. Makes sense to me. Why would you choose a player that has a worse image and pay $10-25 more for each disk?
    Blu-Ray has been fighting an uphill battle this first year and, yup, the image between movie titles has not been as consistent as HD-DVD. However, movies being produced today show no distinct advantage in PQ between the two. That being said, Blu-Ray has A LOT more industry support than HD-DVD does.

For example, here's the movie studio breakdown:

Blu-Ray exclusive:
    1. Sony
    2. Disney
    3. Fox
    4. MGM
    5. Lions Gate

HD-DVD exclusive:
    1. Universal
    2. Weinstein

The rest support both formats. Blu-Ray, as you can see, has a huge edge on titles right now, and if they play their cards right, have an excellent shot at being the leader. The PS3 should also aid Blu-Ray.

*btw, I have HD-DVD (but may purchase a Blu-Ray player shortly). CES will, hopefully, offer a lot of insight as to where this fight is heading.

I also have no problem moving my 150-lb CRT. RBA must be getting old.
    Actually, it's in the bedroom and it sits about 5 feet up, so we can see it from the bed. It just getting it up that last foot that kills me.

Blu-Ray has been fighting an uphill battle this first year and, yup, the image between movie titles has not been as consistent as HD-DVD. However, movies being produced today show no distinct advantage in PQ between the two. That being said, Blu-Ray has A LOT more industry support than HD-DVD does.

For example, here's the movie studio breakdown:

Blu-Ray exclusive:
    1. Sony
    2. Disney
    3. Fox
    4. MGM
    5. Lions Gate

HD-DVD exclusive:
    1. Universal
    2. Weinstein

The rest support both formats. Blu-Ray, as you can see, has a huge edge on titles right now, and if they play their cards right, have an excellent shot at being the leader. The PS3 should also aid Blu-Ray.

*btw, I have HD-DVD (but may purchase a Blu-Ray player shortly). CES will, hopefully, offer a lot of insight as to where this fight is heading.
    Thanks for the info, GIK.

Here is where I am. I'm going to finish our basement starting the first of the year. Hope to have it completely finished by the start of MLB season. I want to add a new HDTV, a DVD player and a new surround sound receiver for the basement. So, my purchasing will all occur in early spring. I'm hoping to learn a bunch about TV's, HD DVD players and other stuff by the time I'm ready to purchase. I'm also hoping that the battle between HD DVD and Blu-Ray will be decided by then. That gets me to another problem. I wanted to buy a video game console. At first, I thought it'd be smart to buy a PS3 with a Blu-Ray DVD already installed (kill two birds with one stone). The problem? I have two younger kids (7 and 3) and I've heard that the Nintendo Wii is the better option for them. My oldest has a Nintendo GameCube now and loves the games he has. They are compatible with the Wii. The problem is, if I get them a Wii, I still need to buy an HD DVD player as the Wii does not come with one. Trying to be somewhat fiscally responsible in all of these purchases, and at this time, it just doesn't look like there's a good way to do it.

So right now here's what I have in mind (and all or most of this will probably change by the time I buy):

Sony receiver with 5.1 digital surround.
    I already own Harmon-Kardin surround speakers with subwoofer that I will move to the basement. I really like those speakers.
    Nintendo Wii for video game console (GameCube games will play on it, so no re-buying).
    Sony Grand Wega 50" Rear Projection 1080p TV.
    Sony HD DVD player?

I think that's the way I'm leaning right now. As I said, that may change, though.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

That'd be a Sony Blu-Ray player.

Toshiba (and RCA but it's just a re-badged Toshiba) only makes HD-DVD players.

If you're thinking Blu-Ray, the PS3 is *right now* the best option for a player. I may buy the 20GB version for just this purpose. The cheapest Blu-Ray player, after the PS3, is the Samsung at $799. HD-DVD players start at $499 (if you have an XBOX360 the HD-DVD add-on drive is $199).

Again, I'm really hoping that CES (http://www.cesweb.org) has a lot of great announcements re: both formats.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I wasn't referring to 1080p, but if you are investing $1,000 in a set, might as well get one that takes full advantage of Hi Def.

"In North America, Fox, My Network TV (also owned by Fox), ABC, and ESPN (ABC and ESPN are both owned by Disney) currently broadcast 720p content. NBC, Universal HD (both owned by General Electric), CBS, The CW, HBO, Showtime, Starz!, INHD, HDNet ,TNT, and Discovery HD Theater currently broadcast 1080i content."

She's looking at a 37" for $1,000 that does 720 max, here's a 37" that does 1080i for same price.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4529487
    Oops, yep, I forgot about the 1080i / 1080p thing. My comment was based on comparisons of 46"+ LCD Flats, 720p vs 1080p.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Red Leader, you might want to think about a projector for your basement. If it doesn't get any light, a Projector would work well and some people enjoy the cinema-like movie experience they provide. See AVSForums for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Red Leader, you might want to think about a projector for your basement. If it doesn't get any light, a Projector would work well and some people enjoy the cinema-like movie experience they provide. See AVSForums for more info.
    Thanks, RBA. I've read posts by you and Johnny Footstool about projectors in other threads. It is something I'll have to consider. I didn't realize that they were cost competitive with HDTV's and could display in 1080p HD. Out basement has two glass block windows that are about 10" high and 30" wide. That's the only light that gets into the basement. Surprisingly, it seems well lit during the day because the side of the house that those windows are on is the side of the house that gets the most sunlight. When I re-do the basement I'll frame those windows and probably hang curtains or some window dressing where I could block out the light if I wanted to. That would open up the option for getting a projector. I've always thought that projectors were pretty cool.

How much would you say you spent on your projector and a home made screen for it? Are components (video game, DVD, home theatre) as easy to hook up to projectors?
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

The good thing (at least to me) is that at this point I have all options open to me. I'm not limited by amount of light in the room, space, or anything else. I have the whole enchilada available to me to choose from on everything, from TV to projectors, to video game console, to DVD player, to receiver. I can choose anything in anyone of those categories pretty much and not have limitations. So I got that going for me, which is nice.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

My newest projector ran about $700 and the screen that I built cost under $100 (104" 16:9 diagonal).

There are excellent deals to be had right now on 720p projectors (Optoma HD70, Mitsubishi HD1000U) for under $1000. A 1080p projector will set you back $4K+.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

My newest projector ran about $700 and the screen that I built cost under $100 (104" 16:9 diagonal).
    What did you build your screen with?

I built mine with a white 4'x8' panel (Polywall) but I am considering experimenting with gray screens.

GL

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

A 1080p projector will set you back $4K+.
    I saw a brand new Sony 1080p on ebay for $3500, which is a steal considering they retail over $5000.

Turn Off Ads?