Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 117

Thread: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    713

    Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

    Now that the major free agent pitchers are off the market it would seem that this might be an ideal time to start shopping Bronson Arroyo around to see what we can get for him. After missing out on Zito the Mets might be an ideal trade partner given their desparate need of starting pitching and the number of good prospects in they have in the high minors. I'd love to see Pelfrey and Milledge in Reds uniforms...
    Last edited by nmculbreth; 12-28-2006 at 02:35 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,641

    Re: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

    I've been an advocate of this for quite some time...but it won't happen.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

  4. #3
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,087

    Re: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

    Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Now that the major free agent pitchers are off the market it would seem that this might be an ideal time to start shopping Bronson Arroyo around to see what we can get for him. After missing out on Zito the Mets might be an ideal trade partner given their desparate need of starting pitching and the number of good prospects in they have in the high minors. I'd love to see Pelfrey and Milledge in Reds uniforms...
    I'd open my wrists if all the Reds got back was Milledge and Pelfrey. Hypesville.

  5. #4
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,699

    Re: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

    I don't want to trade Arroyo. I am sick of the 'rebuilding' that never comes to fruition. We have a good 1-2 punch of SP. If we can come up with a 3rd somehow and Bailey lives up to the hype the Reds rotation will be good.

    Now if after 2007 Arroyo doesn't want to sign a contract extension THEN look at trade options.
    .

  6. #5
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,753

    Re: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

    Only for an absolute kings ransom. Arroyo is too cheap relative to his performance to trade for anything less.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  7. #6
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd open my wrists if all the Reds got back was Milledge and Pelfrey. Hypesville.
    I rather have some guys from Arizona(who is in the market for pitching).
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  8. #7
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,491

    Re: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Only for an absolute kings ransom. Arroyo is too cheap relative to his performance to trade for anything less.

  9. #8
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,314

    Re: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd open my wrists if all the Reds got back was Milledge and Pelfrey. Hypesville.
    I'd be all over this offer, but I don't see the Mets going for it.

    But to answer your question, I would start shopping him. The only difference he will make to this team is by worsening the 2008 draft position. They're not going to the playoffs with him anyway.

  10. #9
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,087

    Re: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'd be all over this offer, but I don't see the Mets going for it.

    But to answer your question, I would start shopping him. The only difference he will make to this team is by worsening the 2008 draft position. They're not going to the playoffs with him anyway.
    I see Pelfrey and think Bailey. Let's say another team possessed Bailey instead of the Reds, I sure as hell wouldn't give up Arroyo for Bailey and Milledge. A sure thing for two long, longshots.

  11. #10
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,296

    Re: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

    They question to ask would be does Arroyo have more trade value now or will he have more at the deadline in july??? When are teams more likely to give up more, in the offseason when they have aspirations of contending or at the deadline when they know what they need to have in order to contend?

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    407

    Re: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

    Milledge, Pelfrey?? for Arroyo... I'd LOVE IT!

  13. #12
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,013

    Re: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I see Pelfrey and think Bailey. Let's say another team possessed Bailey instead of the Reds, I sure as hell wouldn't give up Arroyo for Bailey and Milledge. A sure thing for two long, longshots.
    Substitute Heilman for Milledge and I might do it. I wouldn't want to deal Arroyo, but a reasonable replacement and highly rated prospect isn't bad. I'd need to research some more.

  14. #13
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,491

    Re: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

    Well, Majewski, Bray, etc. netted Kearns and Lopez . . .

  15. #14
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,628

    Re: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I don't want to trade Arroyo. I am sick of the 'rebuilding' that never comes to fruition. We have a good 1-2 punch of SP. If we can come up with a 3rd somehow and Bailey lives up to the hype the Reds rotation will be good.

    Now if after 2007 Arroyo doesn't want to sign a contract extension THEN look at trade options.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  16. #15
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,181

    Re: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

    I'd do Arroyo for Milledge/Pelfrey and Heilman in a second. Heilman is really the guy I want. Solid ground ball tendencies, good K/9, good K/BB, and solid "frame" suggesting he could be a horse. Purely from the numbers persepective (I don't know his repitiore), he reminds me of another Aaron Harang.

    The reason I trade Arroyo now and not after this season is because, quite frankly, I think he's going to regress. Because his deal is so good and he's coming off a great year, his value is as high as it will ever be. Better to cash in now than to "waste" his value on a mediocre Reds squad in 2007.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 12-28-2006 at 03:22 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25