Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

Now that the major free agent pitchers are off the market it would seem that this might be an ideal time to start shopping Bronson Arroyo around to see what we can get for him. After missing out on Zito the Mets might be an ideal trade partner given their desparate need of starting pitching and the number of good prospects in they have in the high minors. I'd love to see Pelfrey and Milledge in Reds uniforms...
    Last edited by nmculbreth; 12-28-2006 at 01:35 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Time to Start Shopping Arroyo?

I've been an advocate of this for quite some time...but it won't happen.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Now that the major free agent pitchers are off the market it would seem that this might be an ideal time to start shopping Bronson Arroyo around to see what we can get for him. After missing out on Zito the Mets might be an ideal trade partner given their desparate need of starting pitching and the number of good prospects in they have in the high minors. I'd love to see Pelfrey and Milledge in Reds uniforms...
    I'd open my wrists if all the Reds got back was Milledge and Pelfrey. Hypesville.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I don't want to trade Arroyo. I am sick of the 'rebuilding' that never comes to fruition. We have a good 1-2 punch of SP. If we can come up with a 3rd somehow and Bailey lives up to the hype the Reds rotation will be good.

Now if after 2007 Arroyo doesn't want to sign a contract extension THEN look at trade options.

Only for an absolute kings ransom. Arroyo is too cheap relative to his performance to trade for anything less.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd open my wrists if all the Reds got back was Milledge and Pelfrey. Hypesville.
    I rather have some guys from Arizona(who is in the market for pitching).

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Only for an absolute kings ransom. Arroyo is too cheap relative to his performance to trade for anything less.

I'd be all over this offer, but I don't see the Mets going for it.

But to answer your question, I would start shopping him. The only difference he will make to this team is by worsening the 2008 draft position. They're not going to the playoffs with him anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'd be all over this offer, but I don't see the Mets going for it.

But to answer your question, I would start shopping him. The only difference he will make to this team is by worsening the 2008 draft position. They're not going to the playoffs with him anyway.
    I see Pelfrey and think Bailey. Let's say another team possessed Bailey instead of the Reds, I sure as hell wouldn't give up Arroyo for Bailey and Milledge. A sure thing for two long, longshots.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

They question to ask would be does Arroyo have more trade value now or will he have more at the deadline in july??? When are teams more likely to give up more, in the offseason when they have aspirations of contending or at the deadline when they know what they need to have in order to contend?

Milledge, Pelfrey?? for Arroyo... I'd LOVE IT!

I see Pelfrey and think Bailey. Let's say another team possessed Bailey instead of the Reds, I sure as hell wouldn't give up Arroyo for Bailey and Milledge. A sure thing for two long, longshots.
    Substitute Heilman for Milledge and I might do it. I wouldn't want to deal Arroyo, but a reasonable replacement and highly rated prospect isn't bad. I'd need to research some more.

Well, Majewski, Bray, etc. netted Kearns and Lopez . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I don't want to trade Arroyo. I am sick of the 'rebuilding' that never comes to fruition. We have a good 1-2 punch of SP. If we can come up with a 3rd somehow and Bailey lives up to the hype the Reds rotation will be good.

Now if after 2007 Arroyo doesn't want to sign a contract extension THEN look at trade options.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I'd do Arroyo for Milledge/Pelfrey and Heilman in a second. Heilman is really the guy I want. Solid ground ball tendencies, good K/9, good K/BB, and solid "frame" suggesting he could be a horse. Purely from the numbers persepective (I don't know his repitiore), he reminds me of another Aaron Harang.

The reason I trade Arroyo now and not after this season is because, quite frankly, I think he's going to regress. Because his deal is so good and he's coming off a great year, his value is as high as it will ever be. Better to cash in now than to "waste" his value on a mediocre Reds squad in 2007.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 12-28-2006 at 02:22 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?