Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess what I just got for Christmas?

Re: Guess what I just got for Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I got it. I love how it's teeming with extras. I really hope they do similar sets for 76 and 90.

It looks as if MLB is being pretty judicious about what Championship teams it's willing to showcase.

Looks to me like it's a "best of the best" series, and the 1976/90 series were sweeps.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Once again, can ANYONE decipher that chant?

It's killing me.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Once again, can ANYONE decipher that chant?

It's killing me.
    I think they're saying, "THERE IS. A. NATIONAL LEAGUE."

Not sure why, though, except that the commentary in this game has been about how the Reds are finally playing the way they'd been all season.

108 wins, only 18 losses at home, no more than two losses in a row at home, major league reacord for team base-stealing percentage, 56,000 plus in attendance. Sigh...

By the way, the catcher scored on two sac flies.

Not sure why, though,
    Because Gowdy who was a former Bosox announcer mentioned the Red Sox 3 times to every Reds mention, I just watched the first 2 innings of game one and Gowdy said that the Red Sox had the nucleolus for the next 10 years and they were just were the A's were in 72.. then he mentioned the Reds had been on a good run, but were more of a vet group. That stuff continued throughout the series.

BTW Rose had an 8 pitch AB in his first AB and then Morgan grounded out on the first pitch of his at bat.... that stuff drove me crazy back then too.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    At the end of game five in Cincinnati, the fans started a little chant around the seventh or eighth inning. It went something like "Blah...Blah...National League!"

Johnny Bench's wife was extremely hot, too.

In game five, she was wearing a tight red shirt with the words Johnny Bench emblazoned on the chest in sparkely lettering.
    Game 5... you happen to mention? The game that saw a Boston righthanded reliever make his only appearance in a World Series against the BRM in the eighth inning. Faced two batters. Walked both... one scored. Leaving him with a career World Series ERA that is infinity. Doesn't get any higher than that. WS Record.

Dick Pole.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Haunted by walks

This is threatening to turn into a game thread.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

I have all 4 games on VHS of the 90 series. I watch game 1 the night before opening day to get fired up!

I really don't know why I did not tape the NL Championship series. It was one of the best ever.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    My sister got that for me too.
    My sister got me an Adidas hoodie.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ANE072940

41.97, that's cheapest price that I can find on it. Anyone ever ordered from there?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

My family bugged me for the month prior to Christmas, begging for ideas. I gave them the old, "I don't know, I can't think of anything". How could I forget about this? I can't believe it
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Because Gowdy who was a former Bosox announcer mentioned the Red Sox 3 times to every Reds mention, I just watched the first 2 innings of game one and Gowdy said that the Red Sox had the nucleolus for the next 10 years and they were just were the A's were in 72.. then he mentioned the Reds had been on a good run, but were more of a vet group. That stuff continued throughout the series.
    You're right. In the ninth they were chanting, "Hey NBC and Mr. Gowdy...:"

The Yankees-Red Sox obsession didn't start with ESPN.

Watching those guys beyond the highlight reel, pitch by pitch....It's really understandable that they are considered one of the top five teams ever.

I was too young to realize it at the time, and as I got old enough to really pay attention, they were past their primes.

These DVDs really drive the point home. What an amazing ballclub.

Man Pills

When I watch old baseball clips, all I can think of is:

"Good God, what a monstrously huge strike zone they got!"

Makes me appreciate what the newbies do even more.

The strike zone should be larger today. It would be a much better game.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I have all 4 games on VHS of the 90 series. I watch game 1 the night before opening day to get fired up!

I really don't know why I did not tape the NL Championship series. It was one of the best ever.
    I have every game from that post-season. I'd like to get them switched to dvd or something before the tape breaks down.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?