Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: According to FOX Sports, the worst call in the NFL this season was...

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: According to FOX Sports, the worst call in the NFL this season was...

that call in Tampa wasn't a game-ending call.
    You are entitiled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

The Bengals sacked the QB, caused the fumble, recovered said fumble, and the game was over until the referee made a blatantly incorrect call for which the league officially apologized for.

Why don't you gice us an example of another team this year overcoming a game ending play like that? Just one, bro.

If there are all these great teams overcoming lousy calls, show me where one like this was overcome.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    You are entitiled to your own opinion but not your own facts.
    Last I checked, both teams continued to run plays after the call. Bengals even got the ball again afterwards with a chance to get into field goal range.

And, as for teams overcoming, look no further than these Pittsburgh Steelers, who got absolutely hosed on a call against the Colts last year when Polemalu's INT was overturned because he hadn't been touched down before he knocked the ball out of his own hands.

They still managed to win the game, because they're well coached, talented and showed poise in the face of adversity.

Whatever -- I'm not going to convince you of anything, you're not going to convince me of anything. There's no point in continuing this.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by duh_vinci View Post
    Way to not read my post. But thanks for the feedback.
    But when you have TWO teams to contend against any given Sunday it is disgraceful. The zebras have sucked not just this year and not just in Bengal games. It's pretty bad, and they need to address it by making the ref's FULL time and holding them accountable.
    I read just fine. Two teams? I guess the refs that worked the 8 games the Bengals won didn't get the memo on how to screw them over or weren't in on the NFL conspiracy meetings on how to make the Bengals lose. Some teams can overcome misfortune. The Bengals aren't one of them. One thing goes wrong with them and they wither up and die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I'm saying that when the officials change a game ending call, it costs you the game.
    No, it only cost the Bengals the game in this instance because they play bullfighter defense.

BTW, seems like the exact same bugaboo, not being able to stop another team when it counts, reared its head twice today. Pittsburgh sliced right through the Bengals' defense for a late game tying field goal and then needed only one possession in overtime to knock the Bengals out of the playoffs.

Just remember where you heard this: "If the playoff door opens for the Bengals this weekend, it's entirely possible they'll have to close out a close game to earn entrance into the next round."

Bad as that call against the Bucs may have been, all it did was expose a fairly massive flaw with the Bengals.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

After reading this thread and watching every Bengals game this season I have come to some conclusions:

1) That ref absolutely cost the Bengals the game vs. T.B. There's no if's, and's, or but's about it. The game was over if he had made the right call. Over. And, in the NFL, it's not all that hard to drive 25 yards for a touchdown with just under 2 minutes left.

2) Even if the correct call was made, who knows what would've happened to this team. I have no idea if they'd be in the playoffs right now. What I do know is they are an extremely soft team. They have no idea, whatsoever, how to handle any type of adversity and have to be one of the most disappointing teams I've ever watched.

3) The Bengals are a bunch of characters, but have no character. This team is very individualistic and lacks most of the intangibles that it takes to be a championship football team.

4) I truely believe Marvin's lack of clock management at the end of this game was the icing on the cake, in my mind, that he is a really bad coach. His coaching in the last 2 minutes lost this game. It's hard to fathom what he was actually thinking during that time frame. I'm not saying he should be fired, at least not yet, but how in the world does an NFL coach screw up so many things in the last 2 minutes of a game with the season on the line? Mind-boggling.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    1) That ref absolutely cost the Bengals the game vs. T.B. There's no if's, and's, or but's about it. The game was over if he had made the right call. Over. And, in the NFL, it's not all that hard to drive 25 yards for a touchdown with just under 2 minutes left.
    I agree with this statement. It's one thing to give a team another bite at the apple, but to give them another bite + 15 yards, it's pretty hard to defend against that. I think that if the call had been made earlier, the Bengals would have had the opportunity to adjust. The problem was that calling that penalty on the last drive made it confusing as far as what one could do to tackle the QB without getting a penalty.

2) Even if the correct call was made, who knows what would've happened to this team. I have no idea if they'd be in the playoffs right now. What I do know is they are an extremely soft team. They have no idea, whatsoever, how to handle any type of adversity and have to be one of the most disappointing teams I've ever watched.
    Also true. This team had the tendency to play well for a half, then get complacent to sit back, defend against the big play, and let the opposing QB pick them apart. A championship-caliber team plays the same with the lead and when behind, always executing. Winning in Tampa may have only resulted in them getting complacent and losing to someone else.

3) The Bengals are a bunch of characters, but have no character. This team is very individualistic and lacks most of the intangibles that it takes to be a championship football team.
    I think there's some truth to that statement. From what I've seen in the media, it almost seems like there are at least two cliques on this team, the Carson/Willie clique and those not in it. Comments after the game from those two indicate that "selfish" players were responsible for the losing. Willie and Carson are on the same page. Who are the guys not on board with the team concept?

4) I truely believe Marvin's lack of clock management at the end of this game was the icing on the cake, in my mind, that he is a really bad coach. His coaching in the last 2 minutes lost this game. It's hard to fathom what he was actually thinking during that time frame. I'm not saying he should be fired, at least not yet, but how in the world does an NFL coach screw up so many things in the last 2 minutes of a game with the season on the line? Mind-boggling.
    Well, the clock management in this game and others leaves a lot to be desired, but we have no idea what was going on down on the field. Were there shenanigans being pulled by some of these "selfish" players that required burning a time-out? Burning one to ice the kicker seems pretty standard. Marvin has used it earlier in the season as had Cowher. Now it may be the equivalent of calling for a bunt with a runner on second, but it's still in the standard coach's "play book." There were a few times that required burning a timeout because guys just didn't have their head in the game (avoiding a penalty for 12 men on the field?). Players have to have their head in the game. Still, having to call a timeout after a spike was just dumb. Either spike to to stop the clock or call timeout, but not both. They lost both the down and the timeout on that one.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

C'mon Yachtzee, even Pee Wee coaches know that you don't burn one of your 2 remaining timeouts to try and ice a kicker when the kick is basically a gimme and you're going to get the ball back with the score tied and over a minute to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I read just fine. Two teams? I guess the refs that worked the 8 games the Bengals won didn't get the memo on how to screw them over or weren't in on the NFL conspiracy meetings on how to make the Bengals lose. Some teams can overcome misfortune. The Bengals aren't one of them. One thing goes wrong with them and they wither up and die.
    I was not trying to say that the Bengals lost the game because of the refs.

Perhaps we aren't too far off in our thinking. I was trying to say that the league needs to look at the quality of officiating and see if there isn't something that can be done to augment it.

That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Burning one to ice the kicker seems pretty standard.
    It does, but not in this scenario with over a minute left, knowing that they'll get the ball back having to approximately 45 yards to have a chance to win it. Wasting that timeout cost them the game, IMO. They didn't deserve to win the way they played, but still, they probably would have won if they had that extra timeout. There's no excuse for trying to ice the kicker with over a minute left.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Still, having to call a timeout after a spike was just dumb. Either spike to to stop the clock or call timeout, but not both. They lost both the down and the timeout on that one.
    I agree, I put that debacle on Marvin. I could see that happening in a junior high game or even high school, but for that to happen in an NFL game, WITH THE SEASON ON THE LINE, is inexusable. Not everything is Marvin's fault, but he really needs to be held accountable for his pitiful use of clock management late in this game.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I know i am really late to respond to this thread......lost password and all....

BUT being a bengal fan since 1974........ this is par for the course with this team.

Always something missing.......always too young, immature.

By thje time they put it together and make a run...it lasts 1 year and then they go into the tank for 3-5 years (1978-1980) (1983-1985, 1987)....and of course the horrific run of the 90's.

Why this team...and even some of those 80's teams....seem to lack character to win a big game....or sustain a good run sometimes mystifies me but most times i attribute it to...the way the Brown's run things.
    The "we tried our best so it's okay" attitude that Mike Brown has.... always seems to seep it's way into the Bengal way of playing.
    This is the guy who was quoted (and never denied) as saying "It would cost more to have a Super Bowl winner" than a team who competed but mainly never really went anywhere."

Heck...i still have not gotten over Paul Brown letting Bill Walsh leave after 1975. So i really have a hard time dealing with his son who has none of his father's football acumen BUT all of his tightness and inability to change his methods.

Turn Off Ads?