Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Top 50 NL Pitchers (3 Reds)

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: ESPN Top 50 NL Pitchers (3 Reds)

This has to be for fantasy baseball, if not it's just flat out moronic.

Anyone who thinks that Chad Billingsley & Rich Hill are better pitchers that Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux & Pedro Martinez should be taken out behind the barn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    This has to be for fantasy baseball, if not it's just flat out moronic.

Anyone who thinks that Chad Billingsley & Rich Hill are better pitchers that Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux & Pedro Martinez should be taken out behind the barn.
    Where do you think the poll was conducted in the first place jm? There was no room at the inn.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Dodgers have 5 guys in the top 50. Not too shabby.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I almost spewed when I saw Rich Hill as high as he is. The Cubs are so freaking overrated, every single off-season.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I feel that expectations had alot to do with where pitchers are ranked on this list. Lets face it Maddux, and Glavine aren't getting any younger and Pedro is always an injury risk. Hill and Billingsley are young with a ton of potential. It really depends on if both of these young pitchers have the breakout years that the writer expects out of them. It also depends on if Glavine and Maddux can continue to pitch at a high level at their age. Both are risky propositions at this point.

[QUOTE=Unassisted;1219313]I agree. In fact, seeing him on the list immediately made me question the value of the rest of the list.[
    /QUOTE]

Pedro will probably miss most of the 2007 season. It is hard to put him above anyone when he probably won't even play.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I almost spewed when I saw Rich Hill as high as he is. The Cubs are so freaking overrated, every single off-season.
    I have Rich Hill as a keeper in my fantasy league for $1. I think he's going to be a stud this season. Take a look at what he did down the stretch.

BTW, this did come from the fantasy ESPN site.

Just because this info came from a Fantasy site doesn't mean it was being discussed in that manor. So why was it moved??

Well, what's more fun to jump off of? A step stool or the roof of a house? Cubs fans thrive on being disappointed. For a fan of any other non W.S. winning team it's "Just wait 'til next season." For a Cubs fan it's " Thank you sir. May I have another?"

Ah. This makes more sense on the fantasy board.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

And I spit up my fruit punch when I saw Homer Bailey on this list.

This kid will be lucky to start the year in AAA.

Other things I noticed...

Smoltz is too high. Old man river shouldn't be in the top 10 anymore.

Chris Young is a product of his homepark. Put him anywhere else and his ERA jumps 1/2 run.

Cole Hamels is in the Ben Sheets injury mold, plus to say Hamels is better than Arroyo is criminal.

Mark Prior, pitch a full season over 200 IP, and then maybe we can pass judgment on you. Until then, you're the 2nd best injured pitcher on that Cubs team behind Kerry Wood.

Ted Lilly, 35? Come on. I would bet a large sum of money his ERA is on the wrong side of 4.50 for 2007. He's supposed to be the Cubs #3?

I think Oliver Perez should be way higher. He's quite possibly the most underrated commodity on this list.

-----

Homer Bailey #45, give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

Homer Bailey #45, give me a break.
    Of that kit-kat bar that Dunn loves so much
    Most Vottomatic Player

In fantasy baseball, I bet Homer is a good bet as the $45 SP next year. He will be in Cincinnati by June. He will have his ups and downs, but he will strike guys out and that surely helps your fantasy stats.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Chris Young is a product of his homepark.
    Since this is posted in a fantasy forum, I'd say the homepark effect makes him attractive.

I'd say the park effect is going to be what makes Homer have not much fantasy value while at home.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

These ratings take in injuries every year that is why Pedro is down so far. Clemens simply because they are not sure he will pitch. Maddux because it is fantasy ratings and he does not put up enough Ks anymore to be as valuable as he used to be and the same is basically true of Glavine. Bailey is rated on potential, Hil somewhat the same with the success he had at the end of the season he could be a fantasy gold mine. BUT YOU HAVE TO KEEP IN MIND IT IS FOR FANTASY BASEBALL!!

Turn Off Ads?