Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Concepcion Get the Plaque?

Ex-Tree

Will Concepcion Get the Plaque?

http://concepcionforcooperstown.org/

ESPN has had a number of HOF discussions this week. This link was mentioned in an article that discussed a high-tech approach to lobbying for one's favorite players.

I love Davey--but I don't see how he will get in. Ozzie dominated the era defensively in the minds and hearts of the sportwriters.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Concepcion Get the Plaque?

The Wizard was overhyped... I don't know that I can honestly say that, being too young to see him play.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

The only plaque he's going to get is at the confluence of his teeth and gums.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Argos View Post
    http://concepcionforcooperstown.org/

ESPN has had a number of HOF discussions this week. This link was mentioned in an article that discussed a high-tech approach to lobbying for one's favorite players.

I love Davey --but I don't see how he will get in. Ozzie dominated the era defensively in the minds and hearts of the sportwriters.
    I love Davey to, but if AlanTrammel cant get in then I dont have alot of hope for him. Maybe in several years the sportswriters will induct him but anymore they have been stingy as to who gets in.

I think for now the Reds need to at the very least officially retire his #13!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I love Davey to, but if AlanTrammel cant get in then I dont have alot of hope for him. Maybe in several years the sportswriters will induct him but anymore they have been stingy as to who gets in.
    It makes me wonder how many of these sports writers who get to vote on the HOF today actually saw many of these guys play?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    The only plaque he's going to get is at the confluence of his teeth and gums.
    Unfortunately, you're right, in that he won't get voted in. I however, believe that this is a bad case in judgement by the voters.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I heard today that 40% of Americans weren't alive when Gerald Ford was President. That also means the same percentage weren't alive to see Davey at his peak. Most likely, all of the HOF voters were alive then, but I still don't think it bodes well for him getting in.
    /r/reds

He's got a better chance of getting the plague than the plaque. It's wrong, but unfortunately it's reality.

This was asked of Cast at the RedsFest conference on Concepcion and he stated in fairly certain terms that it would be happening.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

He will not get in until the oldtimers committee votes him in, someday in the future.

But he should be in, and now.

He changed the way the position of SS was played in MLB, pure and simple.

Dave Concepcion remains the most under-rated member of the Big Red Machine.

But not to me.

I believe the list of eligible shortstops who deserve induction into the Hall of Fame begins with Trammell, once Cal Ripken Jr. is voted into the HOF next month. If Trammell doesn't make it, Davey won't.
    I would have held out hope that the veterans committee would eventually induct Davey, but the way the committee is presently constituted, that appears unlikely. The committee now includes all current players in the HOF, and hasn't voted to induct anybody. Mike Schmidt recently observed that he attitude of HOF players appears to be one of wanting to make the honor as exclusive as possible, since they are already in the Hall, and that the players are taking the attitude that if a candidate couldn't be elected by the media, then the candidate clearly doesn't deserve induction. I expect Schmidt's observation is correct, and it ironically gives the media credit for much greater wisdom than athletes usually are willing to concede.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I heard today that 40% of Americans weren't alive when Gerald Ford was President. That also means the same percentage weren't alive to see Davey at his peak. Most likely, all of the HOF voters were alive then, but I still don't think it bodes well for him getting in.
    Agree. A lot of these guys may have been around then, but probably didn't become sophisticated fans (some still aren't) until after the SS spot became a place for some power guys. I don't think the voters will be smart enough to see through the era of clean-up hitters playing SS to recognize that Concepcion was the best SS of his era.

He should, but he will not. I certainly don't have the numbers anywhere near, but I don't think he has been at all close in previous years. Nothing will change that.
    And, unfortunately, I believe RedsBaron is right about the veterans committee. They do not seem interested at all in allowing others into their inner circle, which is too bad. With the new voting rules there, Veterans Committee voting practices have become even worse than they previously were, at least in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    It makes me wonder how many of these sports writers who get to vote on the HOF today actually saw many of these guys play?
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I look at the Hall of Fame based on a players peak years, not the padding the stats that gets players 3000 hits, 500 HRs, 300 wins, etc

Concepcion was the best shortstop in the NL from the early 1970s to the early 1980s. He was a nine time All Star. This makes him a Hall of Famer in by book.

I also agree that he won't get in

The era of steroids/expansion/small ballparks made SS another offense first position ( hopefully the pendulum will start swinging the other way ).
    Back in the 1970s SS was a defensive position and Davey was the best.
    The fact that he could also contribute offensively is what made him a great player.

Turn Off Ads?