Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making a website

Making a website

I've been thinking about making my own website about a few different things that I'm interested in. I don't mind spending a few bucks if it's necessary, but could anyone knowledgable about this kind of thing recommend some good free sites for personal website creation as well as sites that are for pay?

Which do you recommend?

Is there any good free web-page creation software out there?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Making a website

About 6 years ago I built 3 websites for a company (different markets, different faces) on the Yahoo! platform. It was pretty cheap and very easy. There's probably a link at Yahoo! that gives the details.

BTW, those 3 sites produced about $1.5M in business their first year so I would say they did what was asked for in terms of allowing customers to access the site.

Rem

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I've always been interested in getting into my own web page as well.

Sorry this post was no help lol.

I have had a freewebs though. www.freewebs.com Not sure if it's really what you're talking about. It's template based and they're capable of being ported over to a domain(which i don't know how to do)

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

godaddy.com is pretty cheap as well.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Templates Box has a whole bunch of web related templates you can use for free - the download package includes a photoshop file, and some images & html files. Good stuff if you find one you like.

http://www.templatesbox.com/

I've used Godaddy.com a lot - I have a friend that works for them, and they have a really good deal if you just want to straight out buy domain names. I "cybersquat" so to speak on a batch of domains (firejerrynarron.com/firewaynekrivsky.com/firedanobrien.com etc etc) so Godaddy is awesome for that. But I've never used them as a hosting service - so I can't speak as to how they are quality wise.

If you want hosting as well, I use siteground.com. The best part of siteground - in addition to the fact that your domain name is free with the purchase of space - is when you buy space on their server they have a scripting program setup to install CMS engines. Meaning if you want to start up a community, or start a blog, you can pick any number of engines or programs (phpnuke, wordpress, vbulletin, mediawiki, or my personal fav Drupal) and by just the click of a button the script will install on the site.

Say you wanted to create a site - and have a forum, and a blog. You setup two subdomains, and on one you can use vbulletin(which runs Redszone) and on the other you can use Mambo or PHPNuke or Drupal or Wordpress to setup your blog.

Really cool stuff, I've had them for a while with no complaints or issues.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 12-30-2006 at 12:55 AM.

bravenet isn't bad.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I host my sites through Yahoo, all three the 2 baseball sites and my own business site. Each has a different cost, the cheapest is like 9 bucks IIRC.

Thus I can monitor the mail for them all in one place as well. As for building a site, the easier the tool the more likely your code will be full of junk, my suggestion is to stay away from Front Page as a tool. I use Dreamweaver and Homesite (to code pure HTML) for file transfer I use Filezilla.

Supreme Jar Opener

I'm inclined to agree that the geocities/yahoo sites are decent. I've had a few personal websites there. But really it would be easier to get a MySpace or something like that, if it's just to showcase your interests and hobbies.
    Last edited by zombielady; 12-30-2006 at 03:57 PM.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I favor the Content Management System approach to building sites. Find a host whose accounts include a script installer like Installatron. Use Installatron to install a CMS like Joomla or Mambo and either tweak the default template to fit the site or replace the default template with one from a template builder.

If you use a CMS, you can tweak your site from any Internet-connected computer and you aren't limited to working with the site from computers that have your publishing software and files on them.
    /r/reds

alterhosting.com is what we use for our ems site for work.. nothing special.. and not much time put into it

www.wayneems.com

me and my partner did it all.. me mostly lol.. just no time for it and medic class so its kinda just hanging out for now
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

godaddy blows. www.lunarpages.com will host you for about 8 bucks a month. You get about 4-5 CMS products to choose from, message boards, blogging tools, podcasts, email addresses and unlimited mySQL databases. The whole nine yards.
    Suck it up cupcake.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Whoa, reading all this is liking trying to learn chinese. Is there a Building a website for dummies? I have an idea for a site let's call it canocorn.com and the hypothetical idea behind it is to create an online auction type deal or something, something with hopefully a ton of traffic eventually (think ebay big). How do I get started with absolutely no experience in anything even remotely related to building one?

Also if I type in canocorn.com and I get re-directed to a site with another name attached to it or I get re-directed to a domain broker how do I go about getting that name I want? What if I just come up empty and it can't find a site with this name, how do I cybersquat (if that is a term used to obtain that domain name for myself free of charge)?

I have always been under the impression I can't build such a massive site without a whole host of computers in my living room, a ton of money, etc. SO any and all information is welcome. Also what is the best way to advertise it economically speaking? Thanks in advance.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I'd recommend Wordpress, either self hosted, or their free option which is here:

http://wordpress.com/

This is going to be one of your more user friendly options. That's without knowing exactly what you want to do, but Wordpress will handle just about anything, be it personal or business.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Google sites is one I just found it it is easy and free. Lots of free templates for you to mess around with. And it's Google, so how bad can it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I'd recommend Wordpress, either self hosted, or their free option which is here:

http://wordpress.com/

This is going to be one of your more user friendly options. That's without knowing exactly what you want to do, but Wordpress will handle just about anything, be it personal or business.
    I'm a full-on Wordpress disciple. It's really powerful, you can make it look and behave any way you want (not just as a "blog") and the 3.0 release coming "soon" will offer some very nice improvements.

Plus, it's free!

Total co-sign on Wordpress.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Turn Off Ads?