Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is RedsZone's #4 prospect?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Johnny Cueto

36 43.90%
  • Josh Hamilton

10 12.20%
  • Paul Janish

2 2.44%
  • Sam LeCure

2 2.44%
  • Milton Loo

0 0%
  • Drew Stubbs

7 8.54%
  • Chris Valaika

2 2.44%
  • Sean Watson

2 2.44%
  • Travis Wood

21 25.61%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is RedsZone's #4 Prospect?

Re: Who is RedsZone's #4 Prospect?

I go with Wood over Cueto, barely. I like the combination of lefthandedness and an excellent changeup.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wood, but just because he's a lefty... I like both about the same

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'm excited as having Josh Hamilton as the next, but his last significant baseball experience was putting up a .303/.359.507 as a 21 year old in high A with a troubling strikeout rate. He'll be 26 in May. Frankly, I'd be impressed by an .800+ OPS in AA, and some people think he can breakout at the major league level?

Anyways, I voted for Cueto though he and Wood are functionally even in my mind. I'm most excited to see if Janish can repeat his Howie Kendrick-eque performance.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

This is a good exercise since it makes you think about each prospect in depth. Wood gave up 14 home runs in A ball, by far the most on the team. Was very impressed with Cueto's performance late in the season at High A. So have to give him the edge.

As you go through the list, you wonder whether the Reds' system has improved that much. The top three guys are great, maybe even the top 5, but after that it's hard to find bona fide top ten list candidates.

In dealing with minor league guys, I often wonder if there are unknowns in the system who the FO really project much higher but just don't hype right now.

Last year's draft seems to have added a lot of depth in the organization, but I wonder if anyone will emerge as a true top ten candidate. I think next season will say a lot (as each season does).

Cueto is my vote. Its close with him and Wood and Stubbs.

FYI, since this one is not quite the runaway the others have been, I'll probably wait until tomorrow to post poll #5.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

I voted Wood

I went with....

!. Bailey
    2. Bruce
    3. Votto
    4. Cueto

Hmmm

I voted for Cueto , then saw that he was getting ~50% of the votes.
    I don't know whether this is good or bad.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I gotta give it too Wood. Just watching him pitch he seems to have that maturity as a pitcher already, in short he's a pitcher and not a thrower already IMHO. Plus he's a very good defender and seems to exude both confidence and an A+ level of competitive fire. He really does remind me of a young Tom Glavine with maybe a slight tick higher athleticism.

Combine those commodities with his talent and too me he's a sure fire Major Leaguer at some point if he can avoid injury. This is assuming he continues to improve his pitches which likely wouldn't be from a lack of effort if he didn't.

I like Hamilton and Cueto also, it was close and if it weren't for my fondness for Wood's style of play I may have chosen one of them. Who knows what '07will bring but hopefully some more exclamation points!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Good question, KC. I've been thinking about doing a study about where the best players in the league came from. Who is great that we just plain "missed"? Is there a pattern to the type of guy who slips through the scouting cracks?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Cueto over Wood for one reason.

Background.

I know no in depth details about either, but my feeling is Wood had access to better instruction. That makes Cueto's accomplishments all the more impressive.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?