Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Organizational Pitching Depth

Re: Organizational Pitching Depth

Gruler has had multiple throwing arm surgeries. He left the GCL Reds in mid-August and is not expected back.
    Last edited by fargo55; 01-14-2007 at 11:34 PM. Reason: spelling

2. Turn Off Ads?

Great info there, thanks for posting it. First off, which seamer is he throwing 98? True, 98 is a nice fastball, the questions are the control and movement. Have you seen it personally? It has been said that when throwers add mph, the ball tends to flatten out, and taking some off actually increases control and spin.

Truth is, I wouldn't mind it if he fell back down to 93-94 if it meant nasty movement and more control. Give him a change up to compliment it, and he has all he needs. The splitter and slider are just a bonus.
    I will try and find out the answers to those questions. Rick has never been the type of person to talk about things if they were going well. I know that they wanted him to try and see how hard he could throw which was 98, even then he said he thought he might be holding back. Rick had shoulder surgery a few years ago i dont think it was anything to bad, but shoulder surgery is never a good thing now that he has moved to pitching. He did say that it still moved alittle at 98 but moved more between 93-95. Again how much i will have to find out. I can only imagine he will improve because his mechanics havent been touched since his senior year. Even then they just told him to throw as hard as he could, which he did and most kids couldnt touch it. Also i think his splitter is actually his second pitch. The reds pitching coaches will need to work with him on the change. I dont know though, for all i know is he has a good change as well.

Added Wilson, Removed George:

Code:
    Spot #	Majors	        AAA	        AA	        A+	        A-
    1	Aaron Harang	Homer Bailey	Johnny Cueto	Travis Wood	Josh Ravin
    2	Bronson Arroyo	Tom Shearn	Sam Lecure	Carlos Fisher	Jordan Smith/Winfrin Obispo
    3	Kyle Lohse	Phil Dumatrait	Camilo Vazquez	Phil Valiquette	Jamie Arneson
    4	Eric Milton	Victor Santos	James Avery	Daryl Thompson	Anthony Gressick/Misael Dejesus
    5	Eliz. Ramirez	Tyler Pelland	Eric Junge	Francisco Mateo	Brandon Rice/Nick Wandless
    6	Matt Belisle	Steve Kelly	Bob Livingston	D. Guerrero	Rafael Gonzalez/Adam Pointer

Pen Spot
    1	Mike Stanton	David Shafer	Calvin Medlock	Sean Watson	Derrik Lutz
    2	David Weathers	Jon Coutlangus	C. Bohorquez	Robert Manuel	Brandon Camardese
    3	Todd Coffey	Brad Salmon	Nick Moran	Damian Ursin	Lee Tabor
    4	Bill Bray	Carlos Guevara	James Paduch	Jose Rojas	Terrell Young
    5	Rheal Cormier	Wes Wilkerson	Brock Till	Logan Ondrusek	Josh Roenicke
    6	Gary Majewski	Jason Kershner	R. Asadoorian		        Richie Gardner
    7	B. Shackelford	Paul Wilson			                Chris Gruler
    8	Jared Burton

I updated this a bit and added some omissions. Michael Gosling is back I believe and I stuck him at AAA. I also added a couple columns for guys on Rehab and others from the 2006 draft who had no spot. Two guys who are interesting are Travis Webb and Jeremy Burchett who both were among the reds top 10 picks.

Code:
    Spot #	Majors	        AAA	        AA	        A+	        A-	        Rehab/Others	Rehab/Others
    1	Aaron Harang	Homer Bailey	Johnny Cueto	Travis Wood	Josh Ravin	Paul Wilson	Daniel Donaldson
    2	Bronson Arroyo	Tom Shearn	Sam Lecure	Carlos Fisher	Jordan Smith	Richie Gardner	Dane Mason
    3	Kyle Lohse	Phil Dumatrait	Camilo Vazquez	Rafael Gonzalez	Jamie Arneson	Chris Gruler	Christopher White
    4	Eric Milton	Victor Santos	James Avery	Daryl Thompson	Brandon Rice	T. Pauly
    5	Eliz. Ramirez	Tyler Pelland	Eric Junge	Winfrin Obispo	Travis Webb	R. Asadoorian
    6	Matt Belisle	Steve Kelly		        D. Guerrero	A. Gressick	Brandon Alford

Pen Spot
    1	Mike Stanton	David Shafer	Calvin Medlock	Sean Watson	Derrik Lutz	E. Guardado	Eric Schaler
    2	David Weathers	Jon Coutlangus	C. Bohorquez	Robert Manuel	Terrell Young	David Wilson	Matt Clark
    3	Todd Coffey	Brad Salmon	Nick Moran	Damian Ursin	Lee Tabor	Daniel Rincon	Ryan Williams
    4	Bill Bray	Carlos Guevara	James Paduch	Jose Rojas	Josh Roenicke	Kevin Gunter	Greg Dicso
    5	Rheal Cormier	Wes Wilkerson	Brock Till	Logan Ondrusek	Misael Dejesus	Jarred Leach	R. Medina
    6	Gary Majewski	Jason Kershner	Fr. Mateo	B. Camardese	Jeremy Burchett	Robert Nickols
    7	B. Shackelford	Mike Gosling		        Phil Valiquette	Adam Pointer	Justin Newman
    8	Jared Burton	Bob Livingston			Nick Wandless	Andrew Yount

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don't know why Krivsky took a Rule 5 pitcher unless he plans a trade so he can own the guy outright and keep him in the minors.
    It's not out of the realm of possibility that we flip him to someone with roster room to keep in in the Majors all year. I think that's a long shot, but still a possibility. But you're right, we could try to work a trade with Oakland too.

Updated with recent signings and trades. For a guy who wants prospects in AAA, Krivsky seems to have more Journeyman vets than AAA can hold and I wonder if Bailey won't start at AA now.

Code:
    Spot #	Majors	        AAA             AA	        A+	        A-	        Rehab/Others	Rehab/Others
    1	Aaron Harang	Homer Bailey	Johnny Cueto	Travis Wood	Josh Ravin	Paul Wilson	Daniel Donaldson
    2	Bronson Arroyo	Tom Shearn	Sam Lecure	Carlos Fisher	Jordan Smith	Richie Gardner	Dane Mason
    3	Kyle Lohse	Phil Dumatrait	Camilo Vazquez	Rafael Gonzalez	Jamie Arneson	Eliz. Ramirez	Christopher White
    4	Eric Milton	Victor Santos	James Avery	Daryl Thompson	Brandon Rice	T. Pauly
    5	Kirk  Saarloos	Tyler Pelland	Eric Junge	Winfrin Obispo	Travis Webb	R. Asadoorian
    6	Matt Belisle	Steve Kelly	Luke Lockwood	D. Guerrero	A. Gressick	Brandon Alford

Pen Spot
    1	Mike Stanton	Brad Salmon	Calvin Medlock	Sean Watson	Derrik Lutz	E. Guardado	Eric Schaler
    2	David Weathers	Jon Coutlangus	C. Bohorquez	Robert Manuel	Terrell Young	David Wilson	Matt Clark
    3	Todd Coffey	Mike Bumatay	Nick Moran	Damian Ursin	Lee Tabor	Daniel Rincon	Ryan Williams
    4	Bill Bray	Carlos Guevara	James Paduch	Jose Rojas	Josh Roenicke	Kevin Gunter	Greg Dicso
    5	Rheal Cormier	Wes Wilkerson	Brock Till	Logan Ondrusek	Misael Dejesus	Jarred Leach	R. Medina
    6	Gary Majewski	Brian Meadows	Fr. Mateo	B. Camardese	Jeremy Burchett	Robert Nickols
    7	B. Shackelford	Michael Gosling	Mike Flannery	Phil Valiquette	Adam Pointer	Justin Newman
    8	Jared Burton	Bob Livingston	Jason Kershner		        Nick Wandless	Andrew Yount
    Last edited by mth123; 02-01-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

MTH, honestly I would take Obispo off the list until he gets here....becuase from the sounds of it, he probably wont ever get here.

Off the schneid

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It's not out of the realm of possibility that we flip him to someone with roster room to keep in in the Majors all year. I think that's a long shot, but still a possibility. But you're right, we could try to work a trade with Oakland too.
    Since the Saarloos trade included a PTBNL for each team, Burton could well be the PTBNL coming to the Reds from the A's if he pitches well in Spring Training. This would allow him to be kept at AAA.

I've added Ligtenberg and thought I would bump this up as pitchers report for spring training. I'm guessing: 1.) Saarloos wins the 5th starter spot, 2.) Burton becomes the PTBNL in the Saarloos deal and goes to AAA, 3.) Ramirez starts on the DL as he comes back from off-season surgery 4.) Belisle is the long reliever, 5.) Shackelford and Dumatrait are exposed to waivers and 6.) a glut of veteran Non-Roster guys will be thinned as some choose free agency over AAA. Given the numbers in camp with the Reds, I have to wonder if Bailey won't start out in AA with Santos, Livingston, Dumatrait, Shearn, Kelly, Gosling, Meadows, etc eating up the spots at AAA. It will be interesting to see where the minor leaguers end-up, who washes out and if anyone emerges as some one to watch. I imagine a lot of the younger guys start in extended spring training and go to short season leagues later on with some being cut as this year's draft choices start to sign and take their spots.

Code:
    Spot #	Majors	        AAA            	AA	        A+	        A-	        Rehab/Others	Rehab/Others
    3	Kyle Lohse	Phil Dumatrait	Camilo Vazquez	Rafael Gonzalez	Jamie Arneson	Eliz. Ramirez	Christopher White
    4	Eric Milton	Victor Santos	James Avery	Daryl Thompson	Brandon Rice	T. Pauly	Winfrin Obispo
    5	Kirk  Saarloos	Tyler Pelland	Eric Junge	D. Guerrero	Travis Webb	R. Asadoorian	Phil Valiquette
    6	Matt Belisle	Steve Kelly	Mike Bumatay	Luke Lockwood	A. Gressick	Brandon Alford

Pen Spot
    1	Mike Stanton	Brad Salmon	Calvin Medlock	Sean Watson	Derrik Lutz	E. Guardado	Eric Schaler
    3	Todd Coffey	K. Ligtenberg	Nick Moran	Damian Ursin	Lee Tabor	Daniel Rincon	Ryan Williams
    5	Rheal Cormier	Wes Wilkerson	Brock Till	Logan Ondrusek	Misael Dejesus	Jarred Leach
    6	Gary Majewski	Brian Meadows	Fr. Mateo	B. Camardese	Jeremy Burchett	Robert Nickols
    7	B. Shackelford	Michael Gosling	B. O'Connor	R. Medina	Adam Pointer	Justin Newman
    8	Jared Burton	Bob Livingston	Jason Kershner	Mike Flannery	Nick Wandless	Andrew Yount
    Last edited by mth123; 02-17-2007 at 05:53 AM.

Ehashey

Hey Cummins, Been a long time bud. its Ed hashey back from the old days hope all is well and say hello to Rick for me and wish him well this year.

Turn Off Ads?