Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Organizational Pitching Depth

Re: Organizational Pitching Depth

Another possible starter is Wirfin Obispo. He's been touted as having an outstanding arm, and he performed very well in the Dominican Summer League (couldn't get stateside because of visa problems). I believe he'll be 22 this coming year. My guess is that he'll be in the rotation in Dayton and will move up (a la Cueto) if he overmatches hitters.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Another possible starter is Wirfin Obispo. He's been touted as having an outstanding arm, and he performed very well in the Dominican Summer League (couldn't get stateside because of visa problems). I believe he'll be 22 this coming year. My guess is that he'll be in the rotation in Dayton and will move up (a la Cueto) if he overmatches hitters.
    I thought of him but I thought he was younger and assumed he'd be in rookie ball. Dayton could be crowded. Might need to go back to tandem starters just to fit 'em all in. It doesn't seem like any will be ready for Sarasota or Chattanooga where they may be needed to fill out the rotation. I've listed Thompson and Valiquette at A+ but they should probably start at Dayton as well.

Could Ravin be ready for A+ already?

No, Ravin will not be ready for A+ next year. He needs to work on his control, and most HS pitchers usually spend all of their first full season in low A, just to get used to professional baseball.

Nicholas Wandless and Adam Pointer pitched at GCL last year. Both did well and could be candidates for Dayton, I would think. You might consider adding them.

Wandless was a 36th pick last year. At age 22 (now 23) he went to GCL. Since he is a college type, a bit older, I would expect him to try Dayton next year.

Pointer is 22, was drafted 22nd last year, did well at GCL, then went to Billings for a few innings. My guess is they will try him at Dayton.

Another possibilty is Josh Roenicke who pitched relief at both Rookie levels for the Reds. Wouldn't be surprised if he is in the Dayton bullpen. 10th pick from UCLA.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-31-2006 at 06:58 PM.

Richie is doing great and we are all looking forward to the 2007 baseball season.

Thanks for the update Baseballmom.

Updated again based on comments. Lotta guys at Dayton.

Code:
    Spot #	Majors	        AAA	        AA	        A+       	A-
    1	Aaron Harang	Homer Bailey	Johnny Cueto	Travis Wood	Josh Ravin
    2	Bronson Arroyo	Tom Shearn	Sam Lecure	Carlos Fisher	Jordan Smith/Winfrin Obispo
    3	Kyle Lohse	Phil Dumatrait	Camilo Vazquez	Phil Valiquette	Daniel Guerrero/Jamie Arneson
    4	Eric Milton	Bob Livingston	James Avery	Daryl Thompson	Anthony Gressick/Misael Dejesus
    5	Eliz. Ramirez	Tyler Pelland	Eric Junge	Francisco Mateo	Brandon Rice/Nick Wandless
    6	Matt Belisle	Steve Kelly	Richie Gardner	Chris Gruler	Rafael Gonzalez/Adam Pointer

Pen Spot
    1	Mike Stanton	David Schafer	Calvin Medlock	Sean Watson	Derrick Lutz
    2	David Weathers	Jon Coutlangus	C. Bohorquez	Robert Manual	Brandon Camardese
    3	Todd Coffey	Brad Salmon	Nick Moran	Damien Ursin	Lee Tabor
    4	Bill Bray	Carlos Guevera	James Paduch	R. Haltiwanger	Terrell Young
    5	Rheal Cormier	Wes Wilkerson	Brock Till	Logan Ondrusek	Josh Roenicke
    6	Gary Majewski			Jon George
    7       Brian Shackelford
    8       Jared Burton

This is a great chart. You wonder who will emerge and who will fall off.

I hope mth 123 or others can find a way to use this to follow the progress of pitchers in the organization during next season. Perhaps it can be updated every few weeks to show changes -- and also to reflect what happened to guys who have changed status. For example, notations can be made to names of pitchers who have been promoted, demoted, on injured list, traded, waived, recently acquired, etc.

I don't know exactly how it should be done, but following the organization's pitchers is obviously key to evaluating progress in 2007.

Thanks for putting this together.

Question: Does anybody know anything about the status of Jose Rojas, who pitched tremendously in relief last year for Dayton. He's listed as pitching in the Venezuelan winter league but is not identified as being with the Reds as his parent club. If he's with the club, he will likely be in the bullpen in Sarasota.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Question: Does anybody know anything about the status of Jose Rojas, who pitched tremendously in relief last year for Dayton. He's listed as pitching in the Venezuelan winter league but is not identified as being with the Reds as his parent club. If he's with the club, he will likely be in the bullpen in Sarasota.
    He was a 23 year old pitching in the Rookie League. He first started pitching professionally in 1999 with the Dodgers rookie league. He made it as high as AA in 2002 and again in 2004. Doesn't sound real promising but I don't see that he has been released. I'll add him to Sarasota.

Curious as to why you have Calvin Medlock repeating AA. He clearly has nothing left to prove there. He'll be in Louisville's pen, though he should be in the rotation.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Curious as to why you have Calvin Medlock repeating AA. He clearly has nothing left to prove there. He'll be in Louisville's pen, though he should be in the rotation.
    Just guessing that maybe the Reds want him to close. As I did this I found that there are too many guys for the majors/AAA and Too Many for A-, but not really enough in between. If they want him to actually get some closing experience, it doesn't look like AA has anyone else unless Watson jumps to AA (my initial thought).

I could be way off.

Updated with 1 small change.

Code:
    Spot #	Majors		        AAA		        AA		        A+		        A-
    1	Aaron Harang		Homer Bailey		Johnny Cueto		Travis Wood		Josh Ravin
    2	Bronson Arroyo		Tom Shearn		Sam Lecure		Carlos Fisher		Jordan Smith/Winfrin Obispo
    3	Kyle Lohse		Phil Dumatrait		Camilo Vazquez		Phil Valiquette		Daniel Guerrero/Jamie Arneson
    4	Eric Milton		Bob Livingston		James Avery		Daryl Thompson		Anthony Gressick/Misael Dejesus
    5	Eliz. Ramirez		Tyler Pelland		Eric Junge		Francisco Mateo		Brandon Rice/Nick Wandless
    6	Matt Belisle		Steve Kelly		Richie Gardner		Chris Gruler		Rafael Gonzalez/Adam Pointer

Pen Spot
    1	Mike Stanton		David Shafer		Calvin Medlock		Sean Watson		Derrick Lutz
    2	David Weathers		Jon Coutlangus		C. Bohorquez		Robert Manual		Brandon Camardese
    3	Todd Coffey		Brad Salmon		Nick Moran		Damien Ursin		Lee Tabor
    4	Bill Bray		Carlos Guevera		James Paduch		R. Haltiwanger		Terrell Young
    5	Rheal Cormier		Wes Wilkerson		Brock Till		Logan Ondrusek		Josh Roenicke
    6	Gary Majewski					                        Jon George
    7	Brian Shackelford		                                        Jose Rojas
    8	Jared Burton

I know that Rick Asadoorian has been moved from the field to the bullpen. I believe it is rumored that he will start in either A+ or AA.

Do you mind mind saying how you know? It's a smart move for him, he certainly wasn't going anywhere as an OF, and he has a great arm. Last I heard, he wasn't interested.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Turn Off Ads?