Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you have Time Warner Cable...your screwed!

Re: If you have Time Warner Cable...your screwed!

We left cable for Dish Network several years ago. More channels for less money and better reception and service.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    We left cable for Dish Network several years ago. More channels for less money and better reception and service.
    I left Directv several years ago for cable (Charter) because at that time I couldn't get local channels, they didn't offer HS internet, and the local cable system (which was terrible) made huge fiber optics improvements and was "absorbed" by Charter Communications.

But I have not been too happy with this local Charter affiliate (they all aren't the same I guess). Their channel selection has gotten worse, they have refused to add certain popular selections (don't get the "On Demand" stuff on the movie channels). Their 3 MG HS internet is pretty good though.

Did Dish and Directv combine forces? Does anyone have their internet? What is it like?
    Last edited by GAC; 12-31-2006 at 08:10 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

No, as of now, Dish and DirestTV are separate. I had the distant local package for ABC, since there is no affiliate here in Terre Haute. I lost that, and the nearest one is about 55 miles away. I thought about putting another aerial pointed towards it, and keeping the one I have pointed at the locals, but I already have one aerial and 2 satellite dishes on my roof. I don't want to look like NASA.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I'm browsing around the Dish Network site now, looking at their various packages and using their Cost Calculator.

Based on a 4 room installation (and I'd need 5), selecting the HD receiver, the America's Top 120 package (which will be $40 after 10 months), and local channels, I'm looking at $68 + tax.

Right now, with Charter, I'm getting their deluxe package that has all the premium movie channels (HBO, Encore, Starz, etc) (which I never watch, but my wife does), and their HS internet, and it's costing me $135/month (which I find ridiculous).

So - if I kept my HS internet with Charter ($40) since Dish doesn't offer it, and went with Dish Network for the channels, I don't see where I'd be saving that much at all. Especially after I'd probably have to add in the extra monthly fee for that 5th room.

Plus, I would be losing all the premium movie channels that I currently have with Charter.

So I don't see where it is worth it for me at this time.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-31-2006 at 08:23 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I have grown very quickly to lathe (c) time warner and even if the dish does cost me more, i will still switch as soon as I am out of the apartment.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The fat lady hasn't sang yet

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/apps/p...IES02/61230015

I am assuming that it is not custom for local affiliates to charge a cable company. However, Time Warner could have at least worked out to make these channels optional with a de minimus surcharge to defray the costs. Just an example of innocent customers getting in the middle of bull-headed corporate spats.

This is all caused by a FCC ruling a few years ago. More and more Over-the-Air channels are demanding compensation for their channel. In years past they were happy just to be on the cable systems to able to reach more consumers for their advertising revenue. Now they have found out they have little to lose and much to gain if they play hardball with the cable companies. With the Satellite companies carrying local channels too, the cable companies have a lot to lose if they don't carry one of the top 4 networks or even the CW now.

I side with the cable companies on this issue. If the broadcaster is using the public airwaves to broadcast their signals than it should be fair for the cable and satellite companies to pick up the signal for free and and pass it on to the consumers. After all, that is what commercial television is suppose to be about. Plus broadcast stations are suppose to operate in the public's best interest if they are using the public spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    I have grown very quickly to lathe (c) time warner and even if the dish does cost me more, i will still switch as soon as I am out of the apartment.
    Could you make them into a nice bat or towel rack?

Or did you mean "to blathe," which we all know means "to bluff." You must have been playing cards with time warner...

You'll get no argument from me on Time Warner and its evils. I think they just about have monopoly power in the cable markets up here, now that they've bought out some of their chief rivals.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

By the way, I think Dish has raised prices this year and Directv is going to be raising prices pretty soon. So much for competition reducing prices. I think the only ones benefiting from the increase competition is the broadcast and cable networks who squeeze the cable and satellite companies for the best deal for them.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Could you make them into a nice bat or towel rack?

Or did you mean "to blathe," which we all know means "to bluff." You must have been playing cards with time warner...

You'll get no argument from me on Time Warner and its evils. I think they just about have monopoly power in the cable markets up here, now that they've bought out some of their chief rivals.
    hehe...ooops!

loathe (c) - puffy
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

For a Level Playing Field

And let us not forget the Time Warner annual 7% increase. 7%, in real dollars, becomes a higher increase each year. For those of you that receive 7% pay increases every year... congrats. I do not know of too many people that do in today's world. It is easy for most of us to complain about increasing gasoline prices. But cable rates seem to increase at much more of an increasing rate to this consumer. Unlike gasoline, which goes down at times due to supply and demand (so they say!), cable rates only move in one direction. Pay $75 now to Time Warner... look for $80.25 after the new year. You paid $70.09 the year before that... so your $4.91 increase last year is now a $5.25 increase this new year. It will be a $5.62 increase in 2008.

What did you pay for cable TV 5 years ago? What do you pay today? Is it that much better? Do you have a bunch of new channels that you watch and feel are worth the additional dollars spent each month?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Do you have a bunch of new channels that you watch and feel are worth the additional dollars spent each month?

It would be worth it for all the Lifetime channels they add every few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

This only affects you if your local Fox Network (or ABC in one case) is a Sinclair owned station. This does NOT affect Cincinnati's Fox affiliate. It affects a West Virginia ABC station, a WV Fox station and a Kentucky Fox station. I know there were some issues in parts of Ohio too. I've got experience with Sinclair; as much as TW is a pain I think the blame can be deflected to Sinclair on this one.

According to the web site, they have extended negociations(sp?) until Jan
    12th. At least it won't affect the bowl games, and the first round of the NFL playoffs.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Turn Off Ads?