Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to expect from Ross?

What to expect from Ross?

Looks like David Ross is going to have the starting job to lose. He put up great numbers last year so the question is what will he do with awhole season this year? Some people think last year was a fluke, I do not.

My guess is
    .260 31HR 94RBI

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What to expect from Ross?

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    Looks like David Ross is going to have the starting job to lose. He put up great numbers last year so the question is what will he do with awhole season this year? Some people think last year was a fluke, I do not.

My guess is
    .260 31HR 94RBI
    I hope you are correct. If he does that, the offense will be OK. Counting on it is a mistake though.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

My guess is
    .260 31HR 94RBI
    .260 seems accurate

31 HR is ridiculously high

94 RBI? Is the sun in your eyes?

.260 25 80 seem to be a lil more realistic, and I still think these might be high

.245 19 Hr 67 Rbi
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    .260 seems accurate

31 HR is ridiculously high

94 RBI? Is the sun in your eyes?

.260 25 80 seem to be a lil more realistic, and I still think these might be high
    I'm expecting .240/12/55. Hence my continued cries for more power. Even .260/25/80 might be enough to provide the missing threat.

You guys are making me feel a little better about the offense. If Ross can be the power threat suggested here, then carrying Hatte at 1B is less a problem.

Last year .255 21 HR 52 RBI in 247 at bats and not all of that with consitent playing time.
    In only 671 career AB hes got 40 Homeruns. With our ballpark and his power I think 30 homeruns is reachable.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Last year .255 21 HR 52 RBI in 247 at bats and not all of that with consitent playing time.
    In only 671 career AB hes got 40 Homeruns. With our ballpark and his power I think 30 homeruns is reachable.

The RBI number was the one that really concerned me. It would take him 1.5 seasons to sniff 90 RBI.

I also have a feeling we'll be seeing far too much Chad Moeller in 2007, which will limit Ross' at bats.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

.240/19/62

The guy has legit power, but I don't think we can expect him to hit for average at all. He'll take a walk, but his contact rate is pretty low and he'll strikeout a ton. He reminds me a lot of LaRue offensively, only with a bit more power.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Optimistically.

.270/30/80

Pessimistically.

.240/10/30

Mean.

.250/20/50

Thats my call.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm expecting .240/12/55. Hence my continued cries for more power. Even .260/25/80 might be enough to provide the missing threat.

You guys are making me feel a little better about the offense. If Ross can be the power threat suggested here, then carrying Hatte at 1B is less a problem.
    I think you hit it on the head right there. He's not a high average hitter and is terribly streaky. My guess is just between your .240 and .260. I'll call it about .250. I think 15 HR is about right with 55-60 RBI.

I'm certain that Krivsky and Narron think he'll continue with his power numbers, but for a team so occupied with defense these days, it's surprising they are putting all their eggs in the Ross basket. I found him more unacceptable as a defensive catcher than Junior as a defensive center fielder, contrary to most on here.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I'm certain that Krivsky and Narron think he'll continue with his power numbers, but for a team so occupied with defense these days, it's surprising they are putting all their eggs in the Ross basket. I found him more unacceptable as a defensive catcher than Junior as a defensive center fielder, contrary to most on here.
    Aw you mean when he "dropped" the balls on head-on collisions to avoid getting hit? Yeah I screamed "BRING BACK LARUE!!!" on plays like that.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Watching Larue stabbing and trying to receive the baseball for the majority of his career will not be missed from where I sit. Not to mention the prolonged, "I don't have a clue periods at the plate."
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I think to expect anything near what he did last year is way too optimistic.

Career minor league line: .259/.351/.431

That includes exactly one good season in a full-season league...which happened to be the PCL (shocker) where he hit .297/.384/.519 in 2002 as a 25-year-old.

Ross can take a walk and has shown some power, but I would be absolutely shocked if he produces anywhere near his 932 OPS of last year at any point the rest of his career. Everything points to last year being a complete anomoly.

.244/9/34

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

.240/14/60

Turn Off Ads?