Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Bengals vs. Steelers - Week 17

Re: Bengals vs. Steelers - Week 17

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I haven't read through this thread because I'm sure it is as ugly as that loss was, but one thing that really made this loss sting is that the Steelers were out there doing some serious head hunting today and seemed to be just as concerned with driving helmets into heads, chests and guts and slamming guys to the ground as they were about winning a football game. Fortunately, flags were thrown on two of the cheap shots, and Ike Taylor's hit was legal but head hunting as well. Just cheap, dirty football and all blessings to their 8-8 season as well. I hate the Steelers.

I totally agree with you. The Steelers' Raider-esque play had me angry during most of the game.

Bengals mistakes aside, the Steelers played dirty.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    They really are just a classless franchise, aren't they?

At some stage we're going to have to fight fire with fire.
    I'll never forget this...

Steelers-Bengals game on Monday night, Oct. 10, 1983. Keith Gary, a wild rookie defensive end for the Steelers, put a rush on All-Pro QB Ken Anderson, grabbed him by the face mask and buggy-whipped him, injuring him so severely that Anderson missed the next three games.

Gary grabbed Anderson's face mask and almost turned Anderson's head around 180 degrees. Pretty vicious and definitley cheap. Later in that same game Gary tried to hurt backup QB Turk Schonert.

Different times, but the same crap we see from that team a lot today. Two personal fouls in yesterday's game for cheap shots (one on Carson Palmer and one on Chad Johnson). I can deal with a late hit out-of-bounds (momentum thing) and other types of personal fouls, but the two I saw yesterday were cheap and malicious. Caleb Miller's was cheap too, but nowhere near risking an injury to a player like the two from the other side.

Not sure if I favor fighting fire with fire. However, the NFL needs to level suspensions for blatant personal fouls that can hurt a player. Fine them too like they normally do, but a suspension hurts rich people more than fines. Very rarely do you see suspensions like the Titans' Haynesworth got for his blatant thuggery against Dallas. It needs to happen more IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    At some stage we're going to have to fight fire with fire.
    I'd say the way to go is just kick their butts like the Ravens did.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I'd say the way to go is just kick their butts like the Ravens did.
    That would be the way to go.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    hmm
    What are you quoting?

I'd just like to point out that no Bengals were arrested last night. (as far as we know)

Baby steps.

Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket View Post
    Even if the Bengals decide to keep him, I think he is suspended by the league for the first four games. His year long suspension for his second violation didn't start until week 5. So that would carry over for the first four weeks of next season. The way Marvin has talked though I would be surprised to see him back. If he had been around this year though the Bengals are a playoff team. Oh well time to move on. Does anyone know what draft pick number we have?
    I believe instead of tacking on a year they merely switched his 4 game suspension to a year, so I think he will be able to play week 1. May not matter though if Marvin doesn't want him back.

from the Enquirer ... as were the earlier quotes

Selfishness gets the blame
    The 2006 Bengals: What went wrong?
    BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

Bengals players echoed their coach, as they often do, after the season-ending loss Sunday to the Steelers.

In Paul Brown Stadium's home locker room, selfishness was cited repeatedly as the reason the Bengals under-achieved in 2006.

"Small, every gap is small in football," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "There are not wide gaps in the NFL, very small. But it takes people that are selfless."

Said right tackle Willie Anderson: "We all know it is selfishness. We as a team will never get over the hump with the selfishness."

Lewis and his players stopped short of defining selfishness, but examples were on display all year.

Players who get into trouble off the field are viewed as selfish by their teammates, though no one would mention names.

Talented players such as wide receiver Chris Henry and linebacker Odell Thurman - examples 1a and 1b of the bad-boy Bengals - might come to work and work hard. But they're not at home getting rest, studying film or their playbooks when they're out into the wee hours of the morning and getting into trouble.

It's not a stretch to say the Bengals' defense missed Thurman's big-play ability at middle linebacker, where his consistency and knowledge of assignments as a second-year player would have had to improve over his rookie season.

When a bit player like rookie wide receiver Reggie McNeal got into trouble outside a Houston nightclub, Lewis defended him publicly, saying he was the victim of a bad arrest. Why didn't Lewis make an example of McNeal in some way? Instead, there was an air of "anything goes" in the locker room.

Talented players such as wide receiver Chris Henry and linebacker Odell Thurman - examples 1a and 1b of the bad-boy Bengals - might come to work and work hard. But they're not at home getting rest, studying film or their playbooks when they're out into the wee hours of the morning and getting into trouble.
    If they come to work and work hard, their personal life is just that. Now, obviously breaking the law is wrong, but to put up that false dichotomy, it sounds like some expectations need to be established and enforced.

Could the Bengals have possibly won one or two more games with Thurman and/or Henry in there? I think so.

Listening to WLW every morning while driving home, the biggest topic, since the Pitt loss is that there is a character problem on this team that needs to be deeply addressed in the off-season.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Please, correct me if this has not already been mentioned since I have not read all the responses to the final Steelers game, but I personally feel if the Bengals are to truly find that missing link to their defense they need to do one or possibly two of these two things. First, they need to fire Breshnean. Throughout the year, it has become ever so apparent to me that this guy is simply not smart enough to run a competent scheme in Cincinnati. I know it is somewhat irrational of me as a fan to call a defensive coordinator in the NFL incompetent, but I truly feel he is. Reasons and evident for this is as follows:
    First, Marvin and Mike Brown paid for experience this year in Sam Adams who was undeniably a force that made the run defense far better than it was last year. It's arguable that Adams is on the wane as far as his prime goes but he showed some serious heart and hustle when it came time in big game situtations. He and other d lineman held Larry Johnson in check, held J Lewis in check, beat New Orleans with their two big rushers Bush and McAllister. Not to mention, they made Manning throw the ball in Indy despite one big run by Indy's rookie running back. However, Breshnean failed to realize that this was the strength of the Bengals defense the entire year and practically invited Manning to throw all over them in Indy and did the same against Cutler in Denver. This is a lack of brains on his part. I'm no sage when it comes to football, but in anything it is obvious to me that you need to exploit your strengths in football and less expose your weakneses. Chuck failed to do this many times this year. His lack of adjustments at halftime are sure evidence of this. The San Diego game being one of the many examples of this. I don't know if it's been reported here on Redszone, but an ESPN writer flat out said that he had viable advice from a NFL guru that anyone with half a brain could out smart Breshnean when it came to defense. This tells me that this guy needs to go. He was given a shot with better players to make the defense better and he didn't. So, ggggggeeeeeet ouuttttt.
    My second point is ever the more controversial and is probably prime to raise a few rebuttles by Bengals fans. That is, the most expendable person big name on the Bengals offense is Chad Johnson. Don't get me wrong, I love the energy and the news coverage he brings to this team, but he hasn't shown me that he has any more talent then Henry or Housh. Henry has proven when his head his straight to be the next Randy Moss. Moss, Minnesota, not Oakland. Housh has shown he can run better routes, go across the middle, and make big catches in big games to make this team really tick. I think Housh has proven himself to be the best wide receiver on over half of any other NFL teams. That being said, I would reccomend that Ocho Cinco be traded to a team with more of a dire need for offense in exhange for a defensive playmaker especially at linebacker or defensive end, both areas that I feel where the Bengals are lacking. This team is not very far away from a Super Bowl run and I think that an intimidating force on defense is what this team needs to put them over the hump. Now, I don't know if this trade is even legal in Chad's contract or even feasible but I tend to think that he would catch a far bigger fish on defense than would a Henry or a Housh. Henry, wouldnt command as much because of his obvious off the field problems and Housh for his lack of experience as being the number one guy. Chad as shown me time and time again, that he freezes up or even chokes in big games. It's almost as if he talks big to make up for his lack of confidence in his game in these situtations. The dropped passes and fumbles in the Denver and Indy game are sure evidence of this. Don't get me wrong I love OCHO Cinco but stellar games against the Browns, Saints, and Panthers are mute when compared to his lack of show against the Broncos, Indy, and the Steelers. Some may say that this was because of the cornerbacks he faces being the top wide receiver or the double team coverage, but I think his drops against Indy and Denver plus his fumble there assures me the right to make this argument. I think we have a bonafide Hall of Famer in Palmer who will only get better, but with a lackluster defense we need to understand this offense needs to be willing to give up some of its integral pieces for defense to truly become a Super Bowl caliber team.

Finally, I understand there are other issues at stake. Obviously, Marvin's on the field decisions, the time out in Indy in the first quarter, the allowing of the letdown in Tampa after the bye week, and the debacle that happened before the Graham field goal attempt this past week are obvious evidence that he needs to do "his job" in Cincinnati. But, I feel he has stretched himself so thin with incompetent coaches espcecially Breshnean and to a lesser extent Bratatowski. If he starts to employ former coaches ALA Jim Mora and Romeo Crennel (if fired) I think the surrounding effects will improve this team. Let's hope these improvements are made and we look forward to that Super Bowl year we have all been patiently waiting for. Who Dey!
    Last edited by forfreelin04; 01-03-2007 at 04:21 AM. Reason: ,

Turn Off Ads?