Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Bengals vs. Steelers - Week 17

Re: Bengals vs. Steelers - Week 17

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I laughed, but was not surprised.

If there was no time left or the kick was for the win, I understand using one or even both timeouts to ice the kicker.

But, heck, with a minute left and Carson and the offense with the rock at home, you need all the time you can get to give yourself a chance.

To use that to ice a kicker on a chippy?

Very amatuer.
    And when Cowher did it to ice Graham was he a genius.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Actually, when Marvin called the time-out TV showed Cowher looking at Lewis and laughing. I almost think that Cowher called the time-out as kind of a joke with Lewis, his former assistant coach.

Rem

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I always love it when people say that Marvin Lewis is overrated. We could bring back David Shula, maybe Bruce Coslet, heck lets call on good old Dick Lebeau.
    Anyone looks like Vince Lombardi compared with those jokers.

This is perfect example of what is currently wrong with Cincinnati sports franchises. Nothing is expected and mediocrity is praised.

I honestly believe the success of this team has little to do with Marvin. He simply stepped in at the right time.

Lucky him.

What has the defensive-minded Lewis done for the defense since he's been here. It is a joke.

With the exception of drafting Palmer, which was a no-brainer, the offensive core was already in place when Marvin got here.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

He had no choice. That was for the game. There was no time left.

He should have used them both, but obviously he didn't need too.

I always love it when people say that Marvin Lewis is overrated. We could bring back David Shula, maybe Bruce Coslet, heck lets call on good old Dick Lebeau. Ultimately Marvin has made some bad choices in his time with the Bengals but many coaches have. Do changes need to be made anyone can see that by looking at the defense every game. But keep in mind the players have also done a poor job of executing this entire year.

"You are what your record says you are."

I'm not calling for Marvin's head yet, but using the 90's as some sort of measuring stick for what we should expect from him is not going to win this team any ball games. The most important thing is to maintain forward momentum, the demonstration of progress being made. This year was a big step backwards for EVERYONE involved with this organization -- Players AND Coaches.

Maybe Marvin should take control of the defense and assign other activities to other personnel...

There are MANY problems to be addressed this off-season to get the Marvin train heading back in the right direction.

You're not understanding the relative context of the game situation when those timeouts were used.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    when Marvin called the time-out TV showed Cowher looking at Lewis and laughing
    Equal parts bemusement and incredulity, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Anyone looks like Vince Lombardi compared with those jokers.

This is perfect example of what is currently wrong with Cincinnati sports franchises. Nothing is expected and mediocrity is praised.

I honestly believe the success of this team has little to do with Marvin. He simply stepped in at the right time.

Lucky him.

What has the defensive-minded Lewis done for the defense since he's been here. It is a joke.

With the exception of drafting Palmer, which was a no-brainer, the offensive core was already in place when Marvin got here.
    When Marvin arrived on the scene in Bengal Land the team was in the midst of non-stop losing seasons and if I remember correctly the decision was between Lewis, Coughlin, and Mularky. In my opinion I feel that the other two based on what they have done with their coaching since could not have gotten the Bengals any further than Lewis did in his tenure so far.

As far as draft picks go Palmer was not a sure thing some people even had Boller rated higher than Palmer coming out of college. Lest we forget Palmer's best year was his last at USC.

You know what's sad? I *knew* Graham was going to miss. There was no doubt in my mind. Then there was no doubt that they were going to lose the toss, and that the Steelers would score.

What irritated me was the the Bengals seemed to have little interest in being there today. I drove almost 20 miles in a near blizzard to watch a team that didn't seem to care. In contrast, on the TV right next to the one the Bengals were on was Kansas City who were playing with fire and urgency. Same for Tennessee. It was different with the Bengals.

I like Marvin Lewis as a head coach and am glad he's in Cincinnati. But this team needs a major personality overhaul. They're missing something and I can't quite figure what it is. They need more leadership from players other than Carson Palmer. They need someone on defense who can play the role of field general.

But most of all they need a new defensive coach. Bresnehan should have his pink slip already. That defense is embarassing to watch. Pittsburgh made it look easy in the 4th quarter. It's as bad as any defense in the NFL and one of the worst the Bengals have ever had, and that's saying something.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

"You are what your record says you are."

I'm not calling for Marvin's head yet, but using the 90's as some sort of measuring stick for what we should expect from him is not going to win this team any ball games.
    Exactly. This team is no better right now than the 1995-97 teams of Blake and Pickens. Hopefully the next few years will go better than things did in the late 90s and early 00s. While I don't think they'll revert back to the 3-13 and 4-12 laughingstocks they once were, I'm not holding my breath for a 13-3 Super Bowl season, either.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Equal parts bemusement and incredulity, IMO.
    That's actually probably a better description of what I was trying to convey.

Rem

You're not understanding the relative context of the game situation when those timeouts were used.
    I do understand the concept of time management, and I would not have used those timeouts at that time. But what bothers me is we are discussing a point that was made moot by the bomb to Henry and the subsequent missed field goal by Shayne Graham. Execution killed the Bengals not a blown time out.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    You know what's sad? I *knew* Graham was going to miss. There was no doubt in my mind. Then there was no doubt that they were going to lose the toss, and that the Steelers would score.

What irritated me was the the Bengals seemed to have little interest in being there today. I drove almost 20 miles in a near blizzard to watch a team that didn't seem to care. In contrast, on the TV right next to the one the Bengals were on was Kansas City who were playing with fire and urgency. Same for Tennessee. It was different with the Bengals.

I like Marvin Lewis as a head coach and am glad he's in Cincinnati. But this team needs a major personality overhaul. They're missing something and I can't quite figure what it is. They need more leadership from players other than Carson Palmer. They need someone on defense who can play the role of field general.

But most of all they need a new defensive coach. Bresnehan should have his pink slip already. That defense is embarassing to watch. Pittsburgh made it look easy in the 4th quarter. It's as bad as any defense in the NFL and one of the worst the Bengals have ever had, and that's saying something.
    Our identity lies solely with the offense we have Chad, TJ, Rudi, Carson and the list goes on and on. Name one player you would buy a ticket to see on defense... None. This team needs balance on both offense and defense and until we get that we are in for an up and down ride.

if the Bengals were smart they would cut bait on all the off the field losers that have pulled them down and made them the laughingstock of the NFL.

I do understand the concept of time management, and I would not have used those timeouts at that time. But what bothers me is we are discussing a point that was made moot by the bomb to Henry and the subsequent missed field goal by Shayne Graham. Execution killed the Bengals not a blown time out.
    Believe me, I'm definitely not trying to point to that decision as the reason the Bengals lost, but calling that timeout when Marvin did, in that situation, with the gameclock sitting where it was, stopped, with the prospect of around a minute remaining when you will receive the ball in a game that you MUST win is ALWAYS the wrong decision.

It's just one more brick in the finally completed outhouse that succinctly represents the 2006 Bengals franchise.

Turn Off Ads?