Thread: Bengals vs. Steelers - Week 17

Re: Bengals vs. Steelers - Week 17

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Now watch SF upset Denver.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I look like an idiot now, don't I?

As ticked as I am with the Bengals, Broncos fans should be upset at their team, as well. They tanked at the end of the season, as well, and had the playoffs lying in their laps and lose at home to a team that was 6-9 entering the game.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I haven't read through this thread because I'm sure it is as ugly as that loss was, but one thing that really made this loss sting is that the Steelers were out there doing some serious head hunting today and seemed to be just as concerned with driving helmets into heads, chests and guts and slamming guys to the ground as they were about winning a football game. Fortunately, flags were thrown on two of the cheap shots, and Ike Taylor's hit was legal but head hunting as well. Just cheap, dirty football and all blessings to their 8-8 season as well. I hate the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I look like an idiot now, don't I?

As ticked as I am with the Bengals, Broncos fans should be upset at their team, as well. They tanked at the end of the season, as well, and had the playoffs lying in their laps and lose at home to a team that was 6-9 entering the game.
    Nah, its the NFL, like someone said last week, any given Sunday, all that stuff.

I haven't read through this thread because I'm sure it is as ugly as that loss was, but one thing that really made this loss sting is that the Steelers were out there doing some serious head hunting today and seemed to be just as concerned with driving helmets into heads, chests and guts and slamming guys to the ground as they were about winning a football game. Fortunately, flags were thrown on two of the cheap shots, and Ike Taylor's hit was legal but head hunting as well. Just cheap, dirty football and all blessings to their 8-8 season as well. I hate the Steelers.
    I made the comment during the thread that it's obvious that the Stealers would love to end Carson Palmer's career.

I'm really glad the Broncos lost, so that the Bengals would've made it had they shown up today. I want every person in the Bengals organization to spend the offseason stewing over how close they came and what they threw away with a seemingly unending streak of stupid moves. Maybe, just maybe, some lights will click on in some players' heads.

I think a better defense will make a lot of the character issues seem to vanish into thin air. Not because they went anywhere, but because the character issues have so little to do with why the Bengals lost football games this year. Today, Chris Henry proved the case all over again. He practically single-handedly won the game today. Unless it was alcohol on his breath that got a hold of Graham's kick and made it do a 90 degree right turn. What the heck hit Graham's kick? Wind gust? Too wobbly?
    But by the same token, if Chris Henry didn't take so many plays off, the Bengals might not have been in this position. What was up with that deep pass to him on the first play? If he had turned on the jets, he might catch that ball, but instead he looked more like he was the DB on that play. He slacked off the same way in previous weeks.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

His talent is soooo tantalizing... a shame you couldn't take the grit and determination of Kevin Walter and implant it in his body.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    But by the same token, if Chris Henry didn't take so many plays off, the Bengals might not have been in this position. What was up with that deep pass to him on the first play? If he had turned on the jets, he might catch that ball, but instead he looked more like he was the DB on that play. He slacked off the same way in previous weeks.
    Hey, I said trade Chris Henry, just because I was sick of the alligator arming the past couple of weeks. I did not see the play in question, didn't arrive at the in-laws until about halfway through the 1st Q. I'm not real sure it is "taking plays off." He is the #3 receiver with two pretty good options getting first looks.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Anyone looks like Vince Lombardi compared with those jokers.

This is perfect example of what is currently wrong with Cincinnati sports franchises. Nothing is expected and mediocrity is praised.

I honestly believe the success of this team has little to do with Marvin. He simply stepped in at the right time.

Lucky him.

What has the defensive-minded Lewis done for the defense since he's been here. It is a joke.

With the exception of drafting Palmer, which was a no-brainer, the offensive core was already in place when Marvin got here.

Actually he drafted two impact defensive players. One has been suspended all year and the other has a broken neck. I have to think it would be different if they were playing. This team is a bad snap on an extra point and/or a missed field goal from being in the playoffs. No one would be complaining if they got in. Have we forgotten the previous 15 years?

Marvin has kept Mike Brown in the background. That alone is worth its weight in gold IMO. When the team is back in 5 wins at best mode every year, then I'll agree that Marvin should go. I do wish he'd stop bringing in criminals though. Thurman really burned him this year.

To ease the pain of today's loss, I loaded up Madden on the Xbox360 and unloaded on the Steelers, 49-0. Too bad the Madden Tory James is way better than the real one. It's also kind of funny that the Madden coach that suggested my plays on D called a much better game than Chuck B. I was actually able to stop the Steelers on 3rd and Long.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Even if they would have gotten in, they underachieved and looked very dysfunctional at times this year. Ultimately, it doesn't matter, because there's no way they'd be playing in Indy and that's a bad matchup for the Bengals. Indy has their weaknesses and there are plenty of teams that can beat them, but the Bengals are a team I don't think can beat Indy. The onyl way a team can beat Indy is if they apply a lot of QB pressure and can slow the game down by slowing down their offense. I don't think Cincy is capable of beating Indy. So it would have been one and done again.

This might be good for them. They came into the season a little overconfident, IMO.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I absolutely love the fact that Denver lost. Hopefully that will open the eyes of the people who needs their eyes opened.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Actually he drafted two impact defensive players. One has been suspended all year and the other has a broken neck. I have to think it would be different if they were playing.
    That's the thing, if Marvin would take a bit of character into account when drafting, he wouldn't have ever taken Thurmond in the first place and they maybe wouldn't have been shorthanded there this season.

And Pollack? Tough luck, but I don't necessarily think he was a guaranteed impact player. I thought he was a bit of a reach. Sad, but we'll never know for sure one way or the other.

Marvin better clean the cancerous tumors out of the lockerroom and focus the entire draft on defense (ok, maybe a TE too).

He also needs to make sure that he re-signs everyone that has their contract up on the offense side of the ball. Anyone know who's up? I think Steinbach is, but since Willie has been re-signed we could franchise him, right?

Marvin also has to address offensive line. Braham is retiring and he has to be thinking a couple of years down the road when it comes to O-Line. IMO, there's nothing more critical to the Bengals (and we saw firsthand this season why) than O-Line. But I think that's their only offensive need. Everything else should be defense.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?