Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: List your Bengal changes here.

List your Bengal changes here.

Well after a downer of a season I think most of us agree that changes need to be made to this team. This thread is a the perfect place to list what you feel needs to be done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: List your Bengal changes here.

1. Fire Chuck and replace him with someone who will call aggressive blitzing defense. None of this sit back and let teams have 12+ play 80+ yard drives.

2. Make sure Chris Henry has someone from the organization with him at all times, even when he's sleeping.

3. Resign Justin Smith

4. Sign a real DT or DE in free agency

5. Sign a CB to go along with Joseph and make sure O'Neal and James are not on this team next season.

6. Draft the best defensive player available in the 1st round of the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    1. Fire Chuck and replace him with someone who will call aggressive blitzing defense. None of this sit back and let teams have 12+ play 80+ yard drives.
    We had the aggressive blitzing scheme with Leslie Frazier, but that didn't work out too well either. I think that the defense actually improved against the run this year, but took a definite backslide against the pass. Maybe a part of that was losing 2 starting linebackers in Thurman and Pollack. I think they have a lot of talent on D, but I don't believe the defensive coaches are using a scheme that fits well with this team's talent. I think they need to get rid of Bresnahan and look for a D coordinator who is inventive and can come up with a scheme that best fits the personnel on this team.

I think the big change they need to make is to evaluate which players are on board and which players need to go play somewhere else. I think it was very clear that some players on the Bengals had already book their tickets home. This has been an ongoing problem that Marvin Lewis has been rooting out since become coach. Unfortunately, it appears that this attitude has been popping up like a weed with some of the new guys.

Overall, I think the future still looks bright. I'm not happy that they finished 8-8, but considering the schedule, the time it took Carson Palmer to feel comfortable in the pocket again (still looks a little off), the injuries to the offensive line and the loss of key personnel on defense really hurt this team. However, the line started to gel later in the season and key back-ups now have valuable game experience.

Key areas of need: I don't know that I resign Justin Smith. Maybe I look to the free agent market and the draft, but they need better play at DE, LB and they might need another CB opposite Joseph if O'Neal doesn't return to last year's form. On offense, I'd look for more depth in the interior line. I think Ghiachiuc may do better next season now that he's got a season under his belt and I think Witworth could replace Steinbach if he goes. I think they may need to consider that Chris Perry is never going to be healthy for a season and start looking for a back to spell Rudi. I would also look for some draft day steals at WR if it allows me to use Henry as trade bait. As much talent as he has, he just takes way too many plays off, even when the ball is coming to him, to be a reliable receiver.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

No way am I bringing back Justin Smith for the money he'll be demanding.

Draft DE and pair 'em with Geathers.

2. Make sure Chris Henry has someone from the organization with him at all times, even when he's sleeping.

Don't forget about Odell. 24/7 on him and Henry, and watch our defense get better next year.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    No way am I bringing back Justin Smith for the money he'll be demanding.

Draft DE and pair 'em with Geathers.
    We definitely need a pass rush, I'm for drafting either a CB in round one or a DE. The Bengals haven't had a pair of pass rushing ends since the early 80's.

1. Fire Chuck Bresnahan

They Need A Defense Coach

(i'm kidding of course but..) do not allow the bengals to be on primetime tv near the end of the season..when they do it's choke time

They need to sign a defensive veteran (this is football, not baseball) who has played on dominant defenses, even if this veteran is a touch past their prime. And I'm not talking someone like Sam Adams. That doesn't count. This team needs a field general on defense to light a fire when they're on the field. I'm a big believer when it comes to football that this matters a lot.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    They Need A Defense Coach
    The Bengals defense allowed 25 fewer points in 06 than they did in 05.

The offense scored 48 fewer points in 06 than they did in 05.

Who knows with this team?

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    We definitely need a pass rush, I'm for drafting either a CB in round one or a DE. The Bengals haven't had a pair of pass rushing ends since the early 80's.
    you can't blitz from the corners if you don't have linebackers. Both of our starting linebackers, both 1st round picks, are not even on the team.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

1.Fire Chuck Bresnahan.

This may be a long shot, and I know a lot of Bengal fans will hate me for suggesting this, but if Cowher is done in Pittsburgh as is being implied, whoever replaces him may decide to employ a scheme other than the 3-4. Enter Dick LeBeau. If by default Lebeau is let go and we decide to go with an agressive blitzing defense(not to mention switching schemes), why not the guy who was largely responsible for our defense being successful before Marvin arrived?

Other defensive possibilities I would consider are Dom Capers(if Saban leaves Miami), Tim Lewis, and Romeo Crennel if he is let go in Cleveland.

2.Let Justin Smith and Eric Steinbach leave.

We have the replacements in house already. Whitworth slides over to guard and Frostee Rucker once he comes back replaces Smith. I would sign or draft a DE on day one as an insurance policy, but right now, Rucker is the guy.

3.Sign Asante Samuel to replace Tory James and Deltha O'Neal.

Samuel teamed with Joseph solidifies the cornerback position.

4.Draft Day.

I would address the defensive line with the first pick, particularly the tackles. DeMarcus Tyler is my first round pick. The rest of the draft should be used to fill offensive line and defense.

Defense-

DE-Robert Geathers
    DT-DeMarcus Tyler
    DE-Frostee Rucker
    LOLB-Landon Johnson(David Pollack when/if he returns)
    LILB-Odell Thurman(he will be given a second chance)
    RILB-Ahmad Brooks
    ROLB-Brian Simmons
    CB-Asante Samuel
    CB-Jonathan Joseph
    FS-Madieu Williams
    SS-Dexter Jackson

The player changes arent much, but I think a change in the coaching staff will make a bigger difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

WVRed, that looks pretty good except you're missing Peko. He'll be a/the starter at defensive tackle, and he's earned it.

A good team defense attorney may be a wise investment.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Turn Off Ads?