Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brett Favre done???

Re: Brett Favre done???

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    You had better get used to these "coronations" each and every subsequent season, because Manning will own all of the major passing records when he hangs up his cleats.

And he still won't have a ring. Its not that I hate Manning, Heck on a nice Sunday afternoon in the dome on artificial turf in October hes as good as anybody, and his stats prove it. But come January when it counts, he just doesn't have what it takes. And this year, like so many years in the past, I will probably make a tidy sum betting against him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    And he still won't have a ring. Its not that I hate Manning, Heck on a nice Sunday afternoon in the dome on artificial turf in October hes as good as anybody, and his stats prove it. But come January when it counts, he just doesn't have what it takes. And this year, like so many years in the past, I will probably make a tidy sum betting against him.
    Peyton is a great Qb and seems like a great guy. Eli is a good guy and an average Qb. The problem I see with both of these guys is that they just don't play well unless the situation around them is perfect. Has anyone really ever watched a game and noticed Peyton Manning adapting and willing his team to win?

I just don't see it. I'm not trying to be cliche or stupid about this debate either. I don't think winning a ring is the end all to discussing the legacy of great players. I just can't put my finger on what Peyton and his brother seem to lack. Maybe it's just general toughness. Maybe it's the defense
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

"Willing a team to win" is one of the most overused cliches in sports. Basketball - maybe. Football, no way. Peyton Manning has laid some eggs in important games, and I certainly understand some of the criticism, but there's nothing he can do to "will" the defense to stop the run. That defense is terrible. John Elway supposedly couldn't win the big one either. Funny thing happened once his team had a running game and a good defense. I suspect that if Indy ever had a legitimately great defense, Peyton wouldn't have much problem "willing his team to victory." Very few QBs have ever won the Super Bowl without having either a great supporting cast on offense or a good to great defense. At the very least the defense has to be average. And football is the most complex of any of the major sports as far as what it takes to win.

The last 6 super bowl champs all had fantastic defenses and average to above average offenses. St. Louis in 2000 was the last team to win with a great offense. But even that St. Louis team had a damn good defense. In this day and age with such athletic defensive players, I think it's getting more difficult to win the Super Bowl without a great defense. As long as Indy's is bad (and the same goes for Cincy) they could have Joe Montana, John Elway, Terry Bradshaw, or any other QB from history and they wouldn't stand a chance.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    "Willing a team to win" is one of the most overused cliches in sports. Basketball - maybe. Football, no way. Peyton Manning has laid some eggs in important games, and I certainly understand some of the criticism, but there's nothing he can do to "will" the defense to stop the run. That defense is terrible. John Elway supposedly couldn't win the big one either. Funny thing happened once his team had a running game and a good defense. I suspect that if Indy ever had a legitimately great defense, Peyton wouldn't have much problem "willing his team to victory." Very few QBs have ever won the Super Bowl without having either a great supporting cast on offense or a good to great defense. At the very least the defense has to be average. And football is the most complex of any of the major sports as far as what it takes to win.

The last 6 super bowl champs all had fantastic defenses and average to above average offenses. St. Louis in 2000 was the last team to win with a great offense. But even that St. Louis team had a damn good defense. In this day and age with such athletic defensive players, I think it's getting more difficult to win the Super Bowl without a great defense. As long as Indy's is bad (and the same goes for Cincy) they could have Joe Montana, John Elway, Terry Bradshaw, or any other QB from history and they wouldn't stand a chance.
    Football is a game where you are playing the clock more than you are playing the opposing team. Peyton Manning on many different occasions has messed up time management with audibles to passes on VERY stupid situations with his team winning, and with the ball.

He's admitted that and that has happened in playoff games and very important regular season games.

I know Peyton Manning isn't to blame totally for the offensive scheme they are running, but you aren't going to win titles with the Indy offense. I know it's a little much to blame the Indy offense for their team not winning but I believe it to be true. You win by controlling the clock and possession, , special teams, and defense. You don't do your defense any favors when you run a wide open offense.
    Last edited by Cedric; 01-04-2007 at 10:34 AM.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Brett Favre has always seemed like a big kid to me with his love for the game. Some players tire of the pounding and apparently can leave the game with few regrets, as Tiki Barber is about to do. Favre seems to be different, with a love of the game and competition that reminds me of Pete Rose without the baggage. When he retires I expect that Favre will miss the game terribly. I hope he doesn't retire until he is certain that he is done.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Well, at least he didn't wait until after the draft to decide....

Favre will play in 2007
    / Associated Press
    Posted: 16 hours ago

With subzero temperatures descending and a hated division rival playing in the Super Bowl, Green Bay Packers fans received an unexpected jolt of good news Friday.

Brett Favre is back.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson said the three-time MVP called him to say he was "going to give it another shot" and return for his 17th NFL season — thus bringing his now-annual flirtation with retirement to an end far earlier than he had in the previous two offseasons.

"I am so excited about coming back," the 37-year-old quarterback said Friday on the Web site of the Sun Herald in Biloxi, Miss. "We have a good nucleus of young players. We were 8-8 last year, and that's encouraging."

Thompson said Favre knew it was better for the team to make a decision earlier than later.

"There were fewer uncertainties going into this offseason," Thompson said. "Last year there was a coaching change and other things that I think they had to work through, but you'll have to ask him specifically about that. But all along, I mean, he's a football guy, he's a coach's son, so he understands a football team."

Thompson said Favre didn't give him a specific reason why he was returning, but Thompson figured it was a sign that he is happy with the direction the team is headed.

"In our conversations prior to the end of the season, I knew he was having a good time and he liked the team," Thompson said.

Favre seemed to echo those comments to the Biloxi newspaper.

"My offensive line looks good, the defense played good down the stretch," Favre said. "I'm excited about playing for a talented young football team."

Thompson said he was in a meeting Friday morning when Favre called. Thompson said Favre did not give him a commitment beyond 2007, and might still have the offseason ankle surgery he skipped out on the day after the season ended.

It had been shaping up as a rough offseason for Packers fans. Favre led many to believe he intended to retire when he became emotional during a television interview after the Packers beat the Chicago Bears in the regular-season finale — and then the rival Bears marched through the playoffs to earn a spot in Sunday's Super Bowl.

Packers chairman and CEO Bob Harlan said he already is receiving faxes from "delighted" Packers fans around the country.

"I think this helps our fans a great deal," Harlan said. "They could see the direction the team was going in last year, and with Brett coming back it's even better."

Messages left with Favre's agent, Bus Cook, were not immediately returned. Packers coach Mike McCarthy was on vacation and would not be available for comment, the team said.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the news was great for the league.

"He's obviously been an incredible performer for the NFL," said Goodell, in Miami for the Super Bowl.

Favre has started 257 consecutive games including the playoffs, an NFL record for quarterbacks. Favre broke Dan Marino's record for career completions (4,967) in 2006 and is closing in on Marino's marks for career touchdown passes (420) and yards passing (61,361).

As he has done in the past several offseasons, Favre returned to his home in Mississippi after the season to deliberate about his future. Last year, Favre waited until late April to tell the team he was returning.

Favre complained about nagging injuries and the drudgery of practice toward the end of last season, then choked back tears as he talked about missing the game and missing his teammates in a television interview immediately after the regular-season finale in Chicago — leading many to believe his retirement was imminent.

Apparently, he couldn't resist one more chance to try to lead the Packers back to the playoffs after they won their final four games and were in playoff contention until the final weekend of the regular season.

Favre's accomplishments include three league MVP awards — he shared 1997 honors with Detroit Lions running back Barry Sanders — and throwing two touchdown passes in a 35-21 victory over New England in the 1997 Super Bowl to give the Packers their first championship in 29 years. Earlier in that championship season, Favre spent time in the Menninger Clinic in Topeka, Kan., battling an addiction to painkillers.

Favre led the Packers back to the Super Bowl the following season, but they lost to John Elway's Denver Broncos 31-24.

I'm glad he's coming back.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

So am I...and I'm glad he made a relatively quick decision this time around.

I guess Aaron Rodgers will never get his chance.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    The Packers are young and going to be a lot better next year. I bet he'll be back. If you can still play, it's hard to let it go.

Rep points anyone????
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Rep points anyone????
    I went ahead and repped your 6th sense.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?