Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Reitsma close to coming back to Cincinnati?

Chris Reitsma close to coming back to Cincinnati?

per rotoworld:

Agent Mike Paolercio said Cincinnati is one of the teams he's well into negotiations with regarding free agent Chris Reitsma.

Reitsma has offers on the table from six teams. Not included are the Marlins or Braves. There was speculation Atlanta would try to re-sign him after non-tendering him last month. "I have not heard from the Atlanta Braves whatsoever," Paolerico said. "I'm assuming at this point they did not want to follow up on that."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Chris Reitsma close to coming back to Cincinnati?

Some may not welcome his return, but I think he would be another Belisle for us, which is certainly better than a Weathers or an Elizardo Ramirez.

Give Reitsma another shot in the Queen City, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't disappoint.

Reds talking with Reitsma (Reitsma leaving Atlanta --AJC 12/31)

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...a_leaving.html

At the risk of spoiling the New Year’s celebration for many of you, l’m going to cut to the chase and tell you that Chris Reitsma will not be returning to the Braves.

OK, stop the derisive applause.

This according to the beleaguered reliever’s agent, who told me Sunday that Atlanta wasn’t among the dozen teams that expressed interest in Reitsma after the Braves non-tendered him last month.

Agent Mike Paolercio said six teams have made “legitimate offers” for Reitsma, who posted an 8.68 ERA and .362 opponents’ average in 27 appearances before the All-Star break, then went on the DL and had season-ending elbow surgery.

He’s been throwing off a mound since September and plans to be at full strength for spring training. But the Braves, in probably the best move for all parties given Reitsma’s performance and fall from favor here, apparently decided to cut the cord.

GM John Schuerholz said three weeks ago, when arbitration-eligible Reitsma and Marcus Giles weren’t offered contracts, that the Braves might try to re-sign Reitsma to a lesser contract (he could’ve expected $2 million-plus through arbitration). Not happening.

“I have not heard from the Atlanta Braves whatsoever,” Paolerico said. “I’m assuming at this point they did not want to follow up on that.”

He said he’s well into negotiations with “several teams” including Cincinnati, where Reitsma was a setup man, closer and fan favorite before being traded to Atlanta before the 2004 season.

(Yes, he was a seriously popular pitcher in Cincy, much as Dan Kolb was in Milwaukee and Bob Wickman in Cleveland. Hey, at least one of them didn’t see his career fall to pieces in Atlanta.)

Reitsma had stints as closer with the Braves but eventually blew ‘em all. He converted just 25 of 45 save opportunities in three seasons for the Braves.

There were some rough times in his tenure with the team, none worse than the day Reitsma was walking with his young daughter in their Newnan neighborhood when a guy in a pickup truck rolled down his window and shouted “You suck!” to Reitsma.

On the field, his performance since the summer of 2005 did, for the most part. He never made excuses, but after the elbow surgery he confided that the condition caused periodic numbness in his pitching hand since the World Baseball Classic last fall (that damn Classic _ did anything good come of it?)

Anyway, to his credit, Reitsma didn’t use the elbow as an excuse for the 2005 season, when he was NL Rolaids Relief Man of the Month in July, then the source of much antacid consumption by fans and team officials the rest of the season.

Talk about your precipitous declines, consider this epic fall: After converting 9 of 9 saves while posting a 1.04 ERA and .153 opponents’ average in 17 appearances July 1-Aug. 6, 2005, Reitsma had a 7.68 ERA and .358 OA in his final 51 appearances for the Braves.

He went 1-6 and blew 9 of 17 saves in that awful stretch.

He was often booed at home, but struggled even more on the road, posting a hard-to-fathom 11.39 ERA and .430 opponents’ average in his final 21 road games for the Braves, with 46 hits and five homers surrendered in those 21-1/3 innings away from Turner Field.

So again, it’s probably good it’s over here. You turn the page and hope the story gets better.

While most of you never met him, let me go on record as saying Reitsma was about as decent and good a dude as I’ve ever met in 12 years covering baseball. I know that probably doesn’t mean a lot to you, because, as I said, he did stink for most of his final 12 months here.

But next time he visits Turner Field, it really wouldn’t hurt to give him a little polite applause. Or at least quiet indifference. At least don’t roll down your window and yell obscenities at him. If you guys ever got to meet him and talk to him, you’d know what I mean. Good dude.
    I know this has been discussed, but this is something official, I guess since it's basically coming from Chris' agent. I would say that those "several teams" are much like Scott Boras' "mystery teams."
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Re: Reds talking with Reitsma (Reitsma leaving Atlanta --AJC 12/31)

hey mods, maybe merge this one with the other one. We posted about the same time, sorry.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Hey now, Chris was one of the 25 most popular guys on the 25 man roster who weren't on the DL.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

got alil captain in u?

i wouldn't mind having reitsma back in reds uniform atleast he aint old as some of our current bullpen memebers are

Belisle < Ramirez

I would take him back, my only thought is we would seem to have a pretty full bullpen. I would like to see some of the younger players get a chance but Im sure a couple of the old guys will spend some time on the DL so it will all work out.

I haven't heard that name in a long time. I remember him being on the team a few years ago but there's not much that I remember about him. Is he a starting pitcher or a relief pitcher?
    Most Vottomatic Player

Relief pitcher with a wicked changeup (or at least it used to be).

Man Pills

What a waste of time and resources.

I remember people posting in about 2001, that Reitsma was a star, and they could not wait until his next stat, some distaff poster used to claim, only 4 more days until Reitsma's next start. Talk about myopic drivel.

IF his arm checks out and you think he upgrades the BP, I say do it if you think you can turn some of the other bullpen excess into something useful. Add talent wherever and whenever you can in the off season. If you get a bit crowded somewhere it gives you a chance to trade for something else.

I'm praying that KrivO can still accomplish a thing or two before ST. If so, a couple of bullpen arms might work to sweeten a deal or two.

We gave Chris away when he was in his prime...his numbers have gone downhill since.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

If he's cheap, sign him up. If it requires Cormier money, don't.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?