Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chris Reitsma close to coming back to Cincinnati?

StantontheRed

Re: Chris Reitsma close to coming back to Cincinnati?

It came from somewhere,exactly were I dont know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I agree. He did well til the league saw him the second time.
    Disagreed. Here is a post a made on ORG a while back.

I am a big Lizard fan, and I think he just hit some sort of wall last year.

Look at his starts:
    7 IP, 2 ER
    6 IP, 3 ER
    4 IP, 1 ER (6 unearned, 7 total)
    6 IP, 2 ER
    5 IP, 3 ER
    6 IP, 4 ER
    6 IP, 2 ER
    6 IP, 3 ER
    8 IP, 0 ER
    6 IP, 4 ER
    6.1 IP, 2 ER
    5 IP, 6 ER
    6 IP, 3 ER
    6 IP, 3 ER
    5 IP, 5 ER
    6.2 IP, 1 ER

At that point, he had thrown 95 innings as a starter and given up 44 earned runs. That's a 4.10 ERA. That's very good.

Then we hit August.

4.2 IP, 5 ER
    1.2 IP, 6 ER
    0.1 IP, 1 ER (not a start)
    1.1 IP, 5 ER

That is 8 IP and 17 ER. That is a 19.10 ERA.

He ended up throwing 103 innings, and giving up 61 ER. That is an ERA of 5.33 You can see what those 4 appearances in August did to him.

In 2003, he threw 157 innings in A ball. In 2004 he threw 138 innings combined. In 2005, 153. Last year he threw 124 innings in A (1 start), AAA, and in Cincinnati. The question is, did he hit a wall or did they figure him out? I just find it hard to believe he pitched so well in 95 innnings, and it just fell apart for him in August.
    95 innings is alot more then once aorund the league. He had 4 bad appearances last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    I guess we say Bye Bye to Rule 5 Draftee Mr. Jared Burton..
    And Hello Louisville Brad Salmon. The Reds need to be packaging a few of these relievers not bringing in more. In theory bringing in Reitsma on a minor league incentive based contract is good. Then I try like heck to trade Cormier, Majewski and a prospect or 2 to get a young up and coming rotation candidate. When the dead wood is cleared away, give a clear shot to the Burtons and Salmons of the world with a guy like Reitsma as a fallback.

I'm guessing a guaranteed major league deal for way too much money that will force the Reds to DFA another player is what will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

95 innings is alot more then once aorund the league. He had 4 bad appearances last year.
    I count 8. Anytime your starter can't go 6 innings, he's not much IMO.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I count 8. Anytime your starter can't go 6 innings, he's not much IMO.
    Oh yeah, sorry. I was just counting the 4 in a row that really inflated his ERA. He doesn't go more then 6 often, so that is definately a fair critisism.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

I count 9.
    School's out. What did you expect?

If memory serves, Elizardo ended up the season with an injury of some point. If we assume he didn't simply get hurt and stop pitching, then he was pitching with that injury for some period of time -- say, maybe a few starts?

Then we're going to complain at his stamina. Excluding those starts in August, he averaged 5.94 IP/GS. Is that great? Heck no. But we're talking about a minimum cost, 24 year old, who looks capable of 6 IP per start and a 4.50 ERA. That would give us one of the best #5 starters in baseball. Does August concern me? Of course, but it seems sometimes people would rather a guy with a 5% chance of being a #2 and a 80% of never doing anything over they guy they've got with a really good chance at being a servicable major league starter.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I count 9.
    My point was his last 4 appearances inflated his injury.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Belisle has maybe 1-2 MPH on his fastball over Ramirez. EZ has a better changeup, better control, and is 3 years younger. He does lack movement on his FB, but That's something I think he can learn.

Ramirez in a landslide over Belisle.

That said I want both of them in the rotation.
    Ramirez has almost no movement on any of his pitches. His fastball comes in straight as an arrow, and his breaking balls don't get that big bite needed to make them true out pitches. I don't recall many pitchers learning to put natural movement on their fastballs -- it is usually something a pitcher either has or he doesn't.

For a pitcher that is only 6' tall, not having that movement is a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 01-01-2007 at 05:08 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Ramirez has almost no movement on any of his pitches. His fastball comes in straight as an arrow, and his breaking balls don't get that big bite needed to make them true out pitches. I don't recall many pitchers learning to put natural movement on their fastballs -- it is usually something a pitcher either has or he doesn't.

For a pitcher that is only 6' tall, not having that movement is a recipe for disaster.
    He has a pretty good movement on his curve.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If memory serves, Elizardo ended up the season with an injury of some point. If we assume he didn't simply get hurt and stop pitching, then he was pitching with that injury for some period of time -- say, maybe a few starts?

Then we're going to complain at his stamina. Excluding those starts in August, he averaged 5.94 IP/GS. Is that great? Heck no. But we're talking about a minimum cost, 24 year old, who looks capable of 6 IP per start and a 4.50 ERA. That would give us one of the best #5 starters in baseball. Does August concern me? Of course, but it seems sometimes people would rather a guy with a 5% chance of being a #2 and a 80% of never doing anything over they guy they've got with a really good chance at being a servicable major league starter.
    Agree. Well said.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    And Hello Louisville Brad Salmon. The Reds need to be packaging a few of these relievers not bringing in more. In theory bringing in Reitsma on a minor league incentive based contract is good. Then I try like heck to trade Cormier, Majewski and a prospect or 2 to get a young up and coming rotation candidate. When the dead wood is cleared away, give a clear shot to the Burtons and Salmons of the world with a guy like Reitsma as a fallback.

I'm guessing a guaranteed major league deal for way too much money that will force the Reds to DFA another player is what will happen.
    Sad but true...

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Once again, I don't mind Krivsky bringing in Reitsma as long as it is to a responsible deal. If this deal is for one year and less than a million, I'm completely up for it. Another one of Wayne's low risk, potentially high reward moves. I don't mind Wayne throwing a bunch of relievers on the bullpen "wall" and seeing what sticks.

Furthermore, I don't mind having the Salmons and Burtons prove their worth to Wayne in Louisville. If they absolutely tear apart AAA hitting, they will get their shot in the majors. Wayne has been known to cut his losses before (Womack, Mays, etc.) and certainly not all of the veteran pitchers Wayne brings into Sarasota will make it out. I'd rather Salmon and Burton earn their spot in the bullpen, rather than have them inherit one.

If Reitsma is brought in for a dispensible cost, then I'm all for this move. However, Wayne shouldn't count on him being a significant contributor to the 2007 Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Furthermore, I don't mind having the Salmons and Burtons prove their worth to Wayne in Louisville. If they absolutely tear apart AAA hitting, they will get their shot in the majors. Wayne has been known to cut his losses before (Womack, Mays, etc.) and certainly not all of the veteran pitchers Wayne brings into Sarasota will make it out. I'd rather Salmon and Burton earn their spot in the bullpen, rather than have them inherit one.
    Except he keeps spending money on things he already has or could pick-up for free, then tells us that the things he really needs cost too much.

Agreed. It's one thing to pay a few reliable major league veterans. But WK is so busy filling the pen with those guys that there's no room for legitimate, cheap in house options.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?