Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Spring Training Advice

Spring Training Advice

Guys,
    I am a frequent reader for more than 5 years now but rarely post. I thought this would be a good place to get some do's and don'ts about attending Reds Spring Training. I am looking at going down for an extended weekend with my wife and 20 month old son. I have never been to the Reds camp but did get out to Arizona to see the Padres and several other teams when visiting my relatives about 7-8 years ago. I know I have read several stories in the past about visits to Sarasota and Ed Smith so let the advice begin.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Spring Training Advice

Stay out in Siesta Key. WAAAAY better than staying in Sarasota/Bradenton. The restaurants are plenty and the drive from Siesta Key to Ed Smith is a breeze. There is a Chocolate/Fudge store in "downtown" Siesta Key that you would die for.

You may catch an autograph or two down the RF line. Hang out by the foul pole. There is a hitting cage and a bullpen at that end. You'll catch quite a bit of traffic. You will also be able to see the players come and go from the parking lot and the clubhouse. Pretty exciting if you do not get to see those events that often.

Ohhh yeah... Parking. You can park VERY close to the stadium. Do not park out by the Minor League complex if you don't feel like walking. Pay the extra $5 and park near the main entrance to Ed Smith.
    Last edited by Team Clark; 01-02-2007 at 04:07 PM.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I went to one ST game a few years ago. I had a great time but my girlfriend got fried to a crisp. Take plenty of sunscreen. She was wearing a sleeveless shirt and you can still see where she was burned that day on her shoulders.

Siesta Key - I will look into it. We are probably going to have to fly into Tampa so we might stay up that way. We were also possibly looking at going to Busch Gardens one day to see how my son would like it. How is the drive from Tampa to Ed Smith?? I am an autograph collector but probably will not try for too many while chasing my son around.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    I went to one ST game a few years ago. I had a great time but my girlfriend got fried to a crisp. Take plenty of sunscreen. She was wearing a sleeveless shirt and you can still see where she was burned that day on her shoulders.
    Excellent point. I forgot all about that! I usually hit a tanning booth for 10 days before leaving. You will want to load up on sunscreen if you are going to be in the Fla sun for 2+ hours.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by MUTim View Post
    Siesta Key - I will look into it. We are probably going to have to fly into Tampa so we might stay up that way. We were also possibly looking at going to Busch Gardens one day to see how my son would like it. How is the drive from Tampa to Ed Smith?? I am an autograph collector but probably will not try for too many while chasing my son around.
    Tampa is really nice in parts. I have stayed at several hotels about 8-10 blocks south of Raymond James Stadium. EVERYTHING you could want to do or be near is with 8-10 blocks. The Yankees ST facility is the BOMB! I'm not sure how accessible it is for fans but everything I have seen is pretty sweet. Not a bad drive at all to Sarasota. Clearwater (Phillies) and Dunedin (Blue Jays) are pretty close. Clearwater is like 7 mins away.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Unusual suggestion here.... I MUCH prefer the practices to the games. The last few days of Feb, you get to see 60 players or so, and get much closer. (and it's free!!)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Unusual suggestion here.... I MUCH prefer the practices to the games. The last few days of Feb, you get to see 60 players or so, and get much closer. (and it's free!!)
    That's a lot of fun too. You get to see guys crackin' jokes and having fun. Plus you might learn a little something about bunt coverages, double cuts and pickoffs. Just a little chilly in Feb from time to time. It's still Florida though!
    Cedric 3/24/08

part of BBN

A fellow at work today said "i'm ready for baseball season".
    My reply was , it's only a little over a month till pitchers and catchers start rolling in.
    Then i get home and see this thread.
    It's always fun also when you get in from a hard day at work and snow is on the ground and 20 degrees yet you turn on the tv and see reports from fla and arizona on MLB baseball teams.
    Just hearing the crack of the bat and seeing the guys goofing off and having fun .......my......is it february yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Stay out in Siesta Key. WAAAAY better than staying in Sarasota/Bradenton. The restaurants are plenty and the drive from Siesta Key to Ed Smith is a breeze. There is a Chocolate/Fudge store in "downtown" Siesta Key that you would die for.

You may catch an autograph or two down the RF line. Hang out by the foul pole. There is a hitting cage and a bullpen at that end. You'll catch quite a bit of traffic. You will also be able to see the players come and go from the parking lot and the clubhouse. Pretty exciting if you do not get to see those events that often.

Ohhh yeah... Parking. You can park VERY close to the stadium. Do not park out by the Minor League complex if you don't feel like walking. Pay the extra $5 and park near the main entrance to Ed Smith.
    The beaches at Siesta Key are the best I've ever been too. Very fine, almost powdery sand. There's this bar on Lido Key, I forget the name of it, but it's on the traffic circle that John Ringling Blvd runs into...they have awesome Cuban sandwiches.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

If your son likes animals, Busch Gardens is great and they have a nice kids area. They also have a nice daddies area with free samples of Anheuser Busch products.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

And most importantly remember than if you happen to be talking to any of the relief staff from the Reds you must speak loudly so they can hear you.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    And most importantly remember than if you happen to be talking to any of the relief staff from the Reds you must speak loudly so they can hear you.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The beaches at Siesta Key are the best I've ever been too. Very fine, almost powdery sand. There's this bar on Lido Key, I forget the name of it, but it's on the traffic circle that John Ringling Blvd runs into...they have awesome Cuban sandwiches.
    I know exactly where you are talking about. I actually have a photo from last spring of a few Yankees Minor Leaguers and myself at that bar. Good times.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    Between the hard of hearing and the loss of sight with Hal McCoy this spring ought to be a real treat!
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?