Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lance Is On Fire Today

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Lance Is On Fire Today

Look for the Cleveland Browns to come after Ohio State coach Jim Tressel if the Buckeyes win the national title. A clause in Tressel's seven-year, $17.1 million contract signed last May voids the package if he wins a national title. The Browns likely would double Tressel's average annual salary of $2.45 million and give one of football's best coaches another challenge after two national titles in his past five seasons in Columbus. Tressel, a Berea, Ohio, native who grew up a Browns fan, also has a $1 million buyout in his current contract. Tressel says he's happy in the college game, but one thing is certain: If OSU wins the national title, Tressel soon will be the highest-paid coach in college football ($3 million-plus per year) or one of the highest-paid in the NFL. . .

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lance Is On Fire Today

I have a hard time seeing Tressel leave OSU for an NFL job. I can see him getting a new deal in the range that Bama is talking about with Saban.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

No way Tressel leaves OSU. He is in his dream job, has OSU running like a finely tuned machine and will make more than enough money. Why would he leave? He is a teacher and while he would do great in pros, he would not be happy.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Lance has only ever been on fire in the "Liar Liar pants on fire" sense.

GL

Self-immolation?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

As much as I would hate to see Tressel leave OSU I think he has proven himself as a college coach worthy of a shot at an NFL coaching job. I hope Mr. Tressel would realize what he is getting into in Cleveland though. Over the many years, it has become ever so apparent to me that the Browns or an almost cursed franchise in sports. Evidence of the much maligned turmoil the organization and the team has faced has been traumatic. Art Modells movement of the team to Baltimore and the awful Ernerst Byner fumble and subsequent Elway drive would surely attest to this. Surely, a somewhat curse needs to summoned in almost comparison to the Cubs or the Red Sox. However, I do think Tressel, especially if he wins another National Championship this year, deserves a legitmate shot at coaching a pro team. He's earned that right.

Tressel will not go to Cleveland. OSU will pay him more, he has more power as OSU head coach, and quite frankly the Browns are a total mess. Without an organizational overhaul, he would just be next in line to fail. Butch Davis had a successful college run, and he failed. Why would JT do any better than Davis in Cleveland, or Nick Saban in Miami?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

It is curious that Tressel had an "out-clause" put into his contract that IF Ohio State wins a National Championship his contract signed last year (2006) is null and void, and a new contract has to be negotiated. It also states that if he chooses to leave, he leaves willingly, and no compensation is required for him leaving after that National Championship win.

In other words, if Ohio State wins next Monday, Tressel is essentially a free agent.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I sure would not mind seeing Romeo Crennel as the Bengals Defensive Coordinator.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I'm by no means an OSU fan, but I understand the correlation that exists between it and a certain basketball program at the University of Kentucky. Not specifically in a snapshot of this moment in time, but speaking overall about the histories.

So for those of you saying that Tressel would never leave for a crappy NFL job, please remember a certain Rick Pitino at UK. He had arguably the best NCAA job there was. He could almost write his own contract. He was revered statewide and respected universally. There was no way he would leave for a franchise that was down on it's luck, no matter how much history it had.

For those of you who don't remember the story, or who have blocked it out, Rick went to Boston.

Jim might leave too, for a similarly downtrodden franchise with a lot of tradition. If the price is right.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Tressel will not go to Cleveland. OSU will pay him more, he has more power as OSU head coach, and quite frankly the Browns are a total mess. Without an organizational overhaul, he would just be next in line to fail. Butch Davis had a successful college run, and he failed. Why would JT do any better than Davis in Cleveland, or Nick Saban in Miami?
    My friend, if this came to fruition, Cleveland could outbid OSU. No way OSU would be able to outbid Cleveland in a bidding war. Not that this will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    My friend, if this came to fruition, Cleveland could outbid OSU. No way OSU would be able to outbid Cleveland in a bidding war. Not that this will happen.
    Sorry Charlie, OSU has deeper pockets than Cleveland. Whether they would want to be that reckless with their money is up for them. Remember OSU is the biggest sports entity income wise in the state of Ohio, they dwarf Cleveland and Cincinnati regardless of sport. Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Florida, and Florida State are on par or exceeding most pro teams for income. If Alabama can come up with that much coin to buy out Shula, and to pay for Saban, Ohio State can more than exceed that amount.

Jim Tressel's contract was torn up after the last 2003 Fiesta Bowl as well. He had the same clause then.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Sorry Charlie, OSU has deeper pockets than Cleveland. Whether they would want to be that reckless with their money is up for them. Remember OSU is the biggest sports entity income wise in the state of Ohio, they dwarf Cleveland and Cincinnati regardless of sport. Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Florida, and Florida State are on par or exceeding most pro teams for income. If Alabama can come up with that much coin to buy out Shula, and to pay for Saban, Ohio State can more than exceed that amount.

Jim Tressel's contract was torn up after the last 2003 Fiesta Bowl as well. He had the same clause then.
    Does the name Randy Lerner ring a bell...c'mon. No limit to the amount he could spend. So I must say, sorry Charlie.

Sorry Charlie, OSU has deeper pockets than Cleveland.
    Really? They have a $100 million + salary cap to work with, where the coaches' salary isn't affected by it either? A billion dollar TV deal? The ability to spend all of their profits as they see fit on personnel?

OSU's administration would have no issue getting into a bidding war with the NFL over a coach's salary?

Hmm, not sure about that.

Turn Off Ads?