Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saban takes the Alabama job

Saban takes the Alabama job

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2718488

Nick Saban has accepted an offer from Alabama to coach the Crimson Tide and left the Miami Dolphins on Wednesday, two weeks after declaring "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

Saban will return to the SEC, where he won a national championship with LSU .Saban told team owner Wayne Huizenga of his intentions via telephone and then informed all of his coaches by speakerphone that he was leaving to accept the Alabama position, a source told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Alabama made its formal offer to Saban on Monday after rumors swirled for weeks that the Crimson Tide were pursuing the former LSU coach. The offer, believed to run from eight to 10 years, is worth $35 million to $40 million, and includes many variables, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Monday.

Saban had issued repeated denials that he was interested in coaching at Alabama, one of the most high-profile and high-pressure college coaching jobs in the country. He leaves the Dolphins with three years left on a deal worth approximately $4.5 million a year.

Alabama began looking for a coach after firing Mike Shula on Nov. 27. The Tide finished the season 6-7, losing to Oklahoma State in the Independence Bowl.

On Tuesday, Saban asked for and recevied more time from Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga to make a decision.

Huizenga remained optimistic Tuesday that Saban would return to Miami, and gave him until 10 a.m. Wednesday to make a decision.

"I'm hoping he's leaning on staying," Huizenga was quoted as saying in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "I like Nick a lot and hope he's going to stay. I'm not upset. You just have to play this thing through."

Huizenga has said he received repeated assurances from Saban late in the season that he would return in 2007. And Saban issued frequent public denials of interest in moving to Tuscaloosa, such as on Dec. 21, when he said: "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Saban takes the Alabama job

Hard to turn down that sort of money. Sure wouldn't want the Alabama alumni bugging me all the time though.
    School's out. What did you expect?

He doesn't go undefeated in year one the bama fans will start to grumble.
    Go Gators!

Alabama has a very favorable schedule in 2007.

Homes games: Western Carolina, Arkansas, Georgia, Houston, Tennessee, LSU, Louisiana-Monroe.

Away games: Vanderbilt, Florida St., Ole Miss, Mississippi St, Auburn.

The Auburn game, of course, is the big one. The last game of the year. That will ultimately decide whether Saban's first year is successful or not.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I think Saban is a POS opportunist. On par with Dennis Erickson.

Larry Brown of the pigskin.

I give him no more than 4 seasons before he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post

I agree. I'll be surprised if he stays longer than 4 seasons at Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I agree. I'll be surprised if he stays longer than 4 seasons at Alabama.
    I agree but what NFL owner in his right mind would hire him? It's not like he was a great coach or player personnel director when he was in Miami. After all, he had the decision between Drew Brees and Daunte Culpepper and chose the wrong guy. And if you can't work for Huizinga, you can't work for anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post

I'll refer to what Colin Cowherd always says, because I think it's spot on.

"If a salesman works his butt off and is able to negotiate a better deal with another company every few years, people call him ambitious and a "go-getter". You do that in sports, you're somehow in the wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I'll refer to what Colin Cowherd always says, because I think it's spot on.

"If a salesman works his butt off and is able to negotiate a better deal with another company every few years, people call him ambitious and a "go-getter". You do that in sports, you're somehow in the wrong."
    My only problem with that analogy is that when you are a college football (basketball, baseball, etc.) coach, you're pledging your loyalty not only to your employer, but also to the 18-22 year old men that you've recruited to be a part of your team.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    My only problem with that analogy is that when you are a college football (basketball, baseball, etc.) coach, you're pledging your loyalty not only to your employer, but also to the 18-22 year old men that you've recruited to be a part of your team.
    Also, a salesman doesn't usually sign a long term contract. What would happen if someone like Chad Johnson wanted to play for the Cowboys and just walked out in the middle of his contract?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Saban is not an NFL coach and I think he ultimately saw the writing on the wall. The strict disciplinarian style wears thin with NFL guys after 3 or 4 years. In college there's less of an opportunity for your style to wear thin because you are cycling players out every 2 to 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I agree but what NFL owner in his right mind would hire him?
    Plenty of them. Owners aren't the smartest bunch when it comes to hiring coaches. Bad coaches get recycled in the NFL all the time. Saban will have some success at Alabama and bolt after three or four years. Maybe not to the NFL, but he will leave and go elsewhere again.

Plenty of them. Owners aren't the smartest bunch when it comes to hiring coaches. Bad coaches get recycled in the NFL all the time. Saban will have some success at Alabama and bolt after three or four years. Maybe not to the NFL, but he will leave and go elsewhere again.

That does seem to be his MO but what other college job could he want? As for the NFL, you're right, bad coaches do get recycled all the time. But they usually stay in the NFL and are fired from their previous job. They usually don't spurn a situation like he had in Miami to go back to college. And perhaps some NFL owner will remember what he did at LSU and if he's successful enough at Bama he might give him a shot. But he has to know that Saban isn't one for sticking around very long and a 5 year deal is meaningless to him.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Actually, I look for Saban to get fired after four years and end up as a coordinator in the NFL, or a lower tier head coaching job.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Also, a salesman doesn't usually sign a long term contract. What would happen if someone like Chad Johnson wanted to play for the Cowboys and just walked out in the middle of his contract?
    If he had an out clause, nothing. That's the point of having a contract, so that both sides can have a say in the terms of employment.

Turn Off Ads?