Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All Breakout Team

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: All Breakout Team

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Hmmm...I, like you, will start now and fill in as I go.

C: Brian McCann. Establishes himself as the premier offensive C in the NL.
    1B: Sceff Coberg. He plays the game the right way.
    2B: Rickie Weeks. I think he makes the first of many ASG's this year.
    3B: EE - duh.
    SS: Hanley Ramirez. He breaks through as an official "superstar" this year.
    OF: Andre Ethier or Matt Kemp, whichever gets the most AB's. Both studs.
    OF: Matt Holliday. Will have a mammoth year.
    OF: Delmon Young. An idiot, but a total stud.
    P: Homer Bailey. Duh.
    P: Matt Garza. Like this guy a lot.
    P: Scott Kazmir. Possible Cy Young candidate.
    P: Felix Hernandez. Some of the best stuff I've ever seen.
    There you have it. Sorry I didn't do it exactly as prescribed.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I had forgotten about Upton. I didn't realize they moved him from SS.
    ... supposedly he is an OF now. The Eggs sign Iwamura to a 3 yr ~8M deal to play 3b.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    ... supposedly he is an OF now. The Eggs sign Iwamura to a 3 yr ~8M deal to play 3b.
    Man that organization is downright confusing. I'd trade them AGon and Milton for Upton and pay all the 2007 salary too!
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Man that organization is downright confusing. I'd trade them AGon and Milton for Upton and pay all the 2007 salary too!
    as long as you realize he has been averaging 50+ errors a year at SS. I think the Eggs have reached the conclusion he just isn't going to cut it as a SS or a 3B.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

as long as you realize he has been averaging 50+ errors a year at SS. I think the Eggs have reached the conclusion he just isn't going to cut it as a SS or a 3B.
    Griffey's replacement.
    Griffey's replacement.
    Griffey's replacement.

I've simultaneously reached the conclusion that the Rays' greatest failing is instructional incompetence, which is saying something because that organization has a nearly infinite list of failings.

In fact, with each year I gain greater appreciation for the massive differentiator that is good instruction. It's completely undermined Tampa's plan to build through youth. Their young talent has consistently underachieved. The Reds have suffered from a similar woe. Reds system products have spent the better part of a decade not getting all that close to their ceilings. Adam Dunn, for all the things he does right, should be a much better-rounded player. There's no reason a kid with Edwin Encarnacion's skills shouldn't be an excellent defender. We'll see if he can realize that potential. Gookie Dawkins, who seemingly had everything you'd want in a SS prospect, fizzled into nothingness. That's just the tip of an iceberg and I haven't even broached the subject of pitching.

Arizona, which has an absolute ton of young talent arriving at the moment, will probably rise or fall based on how well it instructed those kids. Say what you will about the Yankees, but their young players tend to be fairly well prepared for the major league game. The Braves built a dynasty around good instruction. Minnesota and Oakland may have different scouting philosophies, but both turn out well-rounded players.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    In fact, with each year I gain greater appreciation for the massive differentiator that is good instruction. It's completely undermined Tampa's plan to build through youth. Their young talent has consistently underachieved. The Reds have suffered from a similar woe. Reds system products have spent the better part of a decade not getting all that close to their ceilings. Adam Dunn, for all the things he does right, should be a much better-rounded player. There's no reason a kid with Edwin Encarnacion's skills shouldn't be an excellent defender. We'll see if he can realize that potential. Gookie Dawkins, who seemingly had everything you'd want in a SS prospect, fizzled into nothingness. That's just the tip of an iceberg and I haven't even broached the subject of pitching.
    An excellent comment. Frankly, worthy of it's own thread if it hasn't been discussed preivously or reciently. I'd also factor in the quality/skill of the medical staff and how that plays in to a youngsters development. But as you pointed out M2, development of prospects is critical to the success of an orginization.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

RFS62 - I really feel this is the year he will say something intelligent. Call me crazy.......
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

ok... you're crazy.

rimshot.

Lots of good choices for breakout years. Now of these players, pick 1-2 from each league you think would be a good fit for the Reds. And pick only 1 pitcher.

And it has to be realistic. Someone the Reds could acquire via trade.
    Last edited by TRF; 01-05-2007 at 04:22 PM.
    Suck it up cupcake.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

2b--Ian Kinsler--Rangers
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Jeff Reardon.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Jeff Reardon.

Turn Off Ads?