Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

  1. #1
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,622

    Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

    Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal By Jerry Crasnick
    ESPN.com


    Pitcher Joel Pineiro has reached preliminary agreement on a one-year deal for a guaranteed $4 million with the Boston Red Sox, multiple baseball sources said Wednesday.

    The contract is contingent on Pineiro passing a physical exam later this week, the sources said. The deal includes a player option for 2008 and $2 million in performance bonuses based on games finished, according to The Associated Press.

    Pineiro, who pitched exclusively as a starter during his last four seasons with Seattle, is expected to work out of the bullpen for Boston. He could be given a chance to compete for the team's closer's job in spring training.

    Jonathan Papelbon, who saved 35 games as a rookie for the Red Sox before going down with shoulder problems, is expected to move to the starting rotation in 2007. Veterans Mike Timlin and Julian Tavarez and youngsters Manny Delcarmen and Craig Hansen could also be in the mix for the closer's job when the Red Sox arrive in spring training in Fort Myers, Fla., in February.

    Pineiro, 28, went a combined 30-18 for the Mariners in 2002-03, but has tailed off badly over the last three seasons. His ERA has risen from 3.78 to 6.36 since the 2003 season, and his ratio of strikeouts per nine innings has declined from 7.10 to 4.73 over the past three years.

    Some scouts, however, think that Pineiro can do a better job of maintaining his velocity and effectiveness in shorter doses out of the bullpen.

    Pineiro made a base salary of $6.8 million last season, but became a free agent in December when the Mariners declined to offer him a contract rather than have him go to salary arbitration.

    While the Red Sox have considered the idea of using Papelbon as a closer again next year, they're leaning strongly toward pitching him in the rotation. Red Sox officials think that Papelbon has a better chance of staying healthy and having a more productive future as a starter.

    Even with Pineiro in the bullpen, Boston currently has six starters -- Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, Tim Wakefield, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Papelbon and Jon Lester.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

    Not sure why he wasn't pursued instead of the Geriatric Gang.

  4. #3
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,745

    Re: Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Not sure why he wasn't pursued instead of the Geriatric Gang.

    Are you kidding? If The Reds signed Piniero, RZ would meltdown. Hell, we already have him in the form of Kyle Lohse (who is better IMO) and everyone is freaking out that we haven't cut him.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  5. #4
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,963

    Re: Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

    Pineiro blows corn. He'll be a disaster in Boston.

  6. #5
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,745

    Re: Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

    Code:
    EASON 	TEAM 	G 	GS 	CG 	SHO 	IP 	H 	R 	ER 	HR 	BB 	SO 	W 	L 	SV 	HLD 	BLSV 	ERA
    2000 	Sea 	8 	1 	0 	0 	19.1 	25 	13 	12 	3 	13 	10 	1 	0 	0 	0 	-- 	5.59
    2001 	Sea 	17 	11 	0 	0 	75.1 	50 	24 	17 	2 	21 	56 	6 	2 	0 	2 	-- 	2.03
    2002 	Sea 	37 	28 	2 	1 	194.1 	189 	75 	70 	24 	54 	136 	14 	7 	0 	3 	-- 	3.24
    2003 	Sea 	32 	32 	3 	2 	211.2 	192 	94 	89 	19 	76 	151 	16 	11 	0 	0 	-- 	3.78
    2004 	Sea 	21 	21 	1 	0 	140.2 	144 	77 	73 	21 	43 	111 	6 	11 	0 	0 	-- 	4.67
    2005 	Sea 	30 	30 	2 	0 	189.0 	224 	118 	118 	23 	56 	107 	7 	11 	0 	0 	-- 	5.62
    2006 	Sea 	40 	25 	1 	0 	165.2 	209 	123 	117 	23 	64 	87 	8 	13 	1 	4 	1 	6.36
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  7. #6
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

    $4 Mill for PINEIRO?

    Maybe FCB is right - maybe there IS a market for Milton.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  8. #7
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Are you kidding? If The Reds signed Piniero, RZ would meltdown. Hell, we already have him in the form of Kyle Lohse (who is better IMO) and everyone is freaking out that we haven't cut him.
    He is going to be in the pen. For $1.5 million more, I'd rather have someone who hits 90 on the gun over Stanton.

  9. #8
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,745

    Re: Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    He is going to be in the pen. For $1.5 million more, I'd rather have someone who hits 90 on the gun over Stanton.
    speed doesn't matter if you can't pitch. I'd rather the Reds not spend 4 million to find out if a guy can even cut it in the pen.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  10. #9
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    speed doesn't matter if you can't pitch. I'd rather the Reds not spend 4 million to find out if a guy can even cut it in the pen.
    And do what with it, sign another 40 year old soft tosser? This team is going nowhere fast and I'd rather see then try and get someone with upside rather than signing pitchers who are one 88 MPH "heater" away from TJ surgery (i.e., Mercker, Guardado, etc).

    Listen, I don't think Pineiro would be the smartest signing to pull off (that would have been Dotel) but I'm kind of getting desperate. I'd rather see someone who has a shot at turning into something good than watching Stanton throw dribblers to the plate for 2 years.

    Pineiro could be a complete bust, or he could be Joe Nathan. We shall see.

  11. #10
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,745

    Re: Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    And do what with it, sign another 40 year old soft tosser? This team is going nowhere fast and I'd rather see then try and get someone with upside rather than signing pitchers who are one 88 MPH "heater" away from TJ surgery (i.e., Mercker, Guardado, etc).

    Listen, I don't think Pineiro would be the smartest signing to pull off (that would have been Dotel) but I'm kind of getting desperate. I'd rather see someone who has a shot at turning into something good than watching Stanton throw dribblers to the plate for 2 years.

    Pineiro could be a complete bust, or he could be Joe Nathan. We shall see.

    Joe Nathan? That's funny. Now, I'm not enamored of Stanton either but signing a guy like Piniero to a 4 million contract with the hopes that he might not SUCK in the bullpen is the kind of risk that only teams like the Red Sox can make. As for Dotel, I'm not a big proponent of giving 5 million to a guy who has only pitched 24 innings the last 2 years. The fact that he ended up with KC tells me that no one else was willing to take that kind of risk.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  12. #11
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Joe Nathan? That's funny. Now, I'm not enamored of Stanton either but signing a guy like Piniero to a 4 million contract with the hopes that he might not SUCK in the bullpen is the kind of risk that only teams like the Red Sox can make. As for Dotel, I'm not a big proponent of giving 5 million to a guy who has only pitched 24 innings the last 2 years. The fact that he ended up with KC tells me that no one else was willing to take that kind of risk.
    Why is Joe Nathan funny?

    Nathan: age 24-25 as a starter: 109 walks in 183 2/3 innings.
    Gagne: age 24-25 as a starter: ERAs of 5.15 and 4.75.
    Mariano: age 25 as a starter: 19 games, 10 games started, 5.51 ERA.

    Sometimes all it takes is a move to the bullpen. You can laugh at the names I just mentioned, but why couldn't it happen to Pineiro? It's a longshot, but I would have taken the risk over Stanton, Weathers, Cormier, etc. In two years these guys will be glue. If Pineiro pans out and Cincy is out of it, he would be a hot commodity at the deadline. If he bombs Cincy is still in 4th place, at best, with or without him. Good luck trying to deal the three old guys for more than Brendan Harris-type players when the deadline comes. Esspecially with those attractive 2 year deals.


  13. #12
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,384

    Re: Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Code:
    EASON 	TEAM 	G 	GS 	CG 	SHO 	IP 	H 	R 	ER 	HR 	BB 	SO 	W 	L 	SV 	HLD 	BLSV 	ERA
    2000 	Sea 	8 	1 	0 	0 	19.1 	25 	13 	12 	3 	13 	10 	1 	0 	0 	0 	-- 	5.59
    2001 	Sea 	17 	11 	0 	0 	75.1 	50 	24 	17 	2 	21 	56 	6 	2 	0 	2 	-- 	2.03
    2002 	Sea 	37 	28 	2 	1 	194.1 	189 	75 	70 	24 	54 	136 	14 	7 	0 	3 	-- 	3.24
    2003 	Sea 	32 	32 	3 	2 	211.2 	192 	94 	89 	19 	76 	151 	16 	11 	0 	0 	-- 	3.78
    2004 	Sea 	21 	21 	1 	0 	140.2 	144 	77 	73 	21 	43 	111 	6 	11 	0 	0 	-- 	4.67
    2005 	Sea 	30 	30 	2 	0 	189.0 	224 	118 	118 	23 	56 	107 	7 	11 	0 	0 	-- 	5.62
    2006 	Sea 	40 	25 	1 	0 	165.2 	209 	123 	117 	23 	64 	87 	8 	13 	1 	4 	1 	6.36
    What happend to him? Roids?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  14. #13
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    What happend to him? Roids?
    Elbow.

  15. #14
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,745

    Re: Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

    Joe Nathan's problem was walks, not that he gave up a ton of hits, but as he did get converted to a reliever after getting hurt I can kind of see your point.

    Pineiro hasn't been hurt the last 2 years, he's just sucked. I don't see that turning around just by virtue moving to the bullpen.

    Maybe I'm wrong though, a quick look at his split stats show he was pretty good pitches 1-30. But he still gave up a lot of walks pitches 1-30. We'll see.

    Another thing you have to consider is a 4 million $, one year contract probably wouldn't have gotten him to Cincinnati.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  16. #15
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Red Sox, Pineiro agree to preliminary $4 million deal

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Joe Nathan's problem was walks, not that he gave up a ton of hits, but as he did get converted to a reliever after getting hurt I can kind of see your point.

    Pineiro hasn't been hurt the last 2 years, he's just sucked. I don't see that turning around just by virtue moving to the bullpen.

    Maybe I'm wrong though, a quick look at his split stats show he was pretty good pitches 1-30. But he still gave up a lot of walks pitches 1-30. We'll see.

    Another thing you have to consider is a 4 million $, one year contract probably wouldn't have gotten him to Cincinnati.
    Agreed...it's tough to compete with Boston. But this FO has to do something to make Cincy a little more enticing. It's a vicious cycle that may never end.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25