Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Astros top Reds for Loretta...

Astros top Reds for Loretta...

Agent: Astros, Loretta agree to deal
    Team source says contractual issues must be resolved
    By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

Mark Loretta selected the Astros' offer over those of the Rangers and the Reds.

HOUSTON -- Infielder Mark Loretta had offers from two Texas teams but decided to sign with the Astros, his agent, Bob Garber, said on Thursday. However, a team source said the deal has not been completed and there are still contractual issues that need to be resolved. It is, however, reasonable to speculate that a deal will eventually be completed.
    According to Garber, Loretta agreed to a one-year deal worth $2.5 million, but the contract could be worth as much as $3.5 million with incentives. Garber said the deal was finalized late Wednesday night.

The Rangers offered $1 million more, Garber said, and Loretta also had an offer from the Reds, but he picked Houston, partly because of an aggressive recruiting job by Roy Oswalt and Brad Ausmus.

"Roy called [club owner] Drayton McLane and said, 'We need this guy,'" said Garber, who also represents Oswalt. "That's how the ball started rolling. Drayton said, 'OK, I'll call your agent tomorrow.'"

Loretta, who played for the Astros for part of the 2002 season, has primarily been a second baseman for most of his 12-year career. But with Craig Biggio entrenched at second base and expected to log his 3,000th hit in 2007, it's likely Loretta would be used in a utility role. Loretta also has extensive experience at first, third and shortstop.

Loretta clearly would provide insurance at third in case Morgan Ensberg, coming off a 2006 season during which he hit .235 and battled injury issues, does not make a successful comeback.

"[Second base is] Biggio's position," Garber said. "He'll fill in, play around the infield, a little third, short and first once in a while."

Loretta will also share the utility label with Eric Bruntlett, who recently avoided arbitration by signing a one-year deal.

Loretta played for the Red Sox last season. The veteran also has played for the Brewers, Astros and Padres and has a .299 career average.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros top Reds for Loretta...

Not sure where he would have played for us.

I'm glad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    Not sure where he would have played for us.
    Krivsky's only acquired one right handed hitter to platoon at first. Krivsky doesn't acquire just one of anything....

(fwiw, if an offer was still on the table and this means Krivsky doesn't see Conine as the absolute answer to the platoon situation, I wouldn't complain.)

Personally I would rather have had Loretta than Conine considering Loretta can play every position in the infield and even though Conine can play 1st and outfield, we already have outfield backups in Deno, and Hopper....

When the rumor came up before the Conine trade, I didn't like it. Funny how my perspective has changed.

Senor Votto

I'd rather have him than Conine but that's just me

I don't think that Loretta was coming to Cincinnati. Where would he play? He knew he'd be back-up fodder.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Not disappointed unless they were planning to sign him and then move Phillips in a deal for pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I don't think that Loretta was coming to Cincinnati. Where would he play? He knew he'd be back-up fodder.
    But with Jerry Narron as manager, Loretta would wind up being an everyday guy.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    Personally I would rather have had Loretta than Conine considering Loretta can play every position in the infield and even though Conine can play 1st and outfield, we already have outfield backups in Deno, and Hopper....
    Loretta would have been a great insurance policy.

I'm a little concerned about all the Norris Hopper talk lately though. He's at best our 6th best OF on the depth charts after Dunn, Griffey, Denorfia, Freel and Hamilton.

Loretta for 2.5M per would have made everyone forget about Rich Aurilia.

I would have paid Loretta 4M per for his services, but apparently Oswalt and Ausmus have some pull in the FA market.

This also shows me that everyone complaining not getting Zito and other big name free agents have to realize that more than money does factor into their decisions. So far both David Dellucci and Mark Loretta have turned down either about equal or more money from the Reds to go to other teams.

Haven't Reds officials made it abundantly clear that no offer was made to Loretta?

the Astros also signed a bunch of junk today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions

Signed catcher Eric Munson, infielder Cody Ransom and pitchers Stephen Randolph, Jose Rodriquez and Kevin Walker.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    But with Jerry Narron as manager, Loretta would wind up being an everyday guy.
    Not to start something, but to be honest, I think this ongoing charge against Narron is baloney. I think last year he was juggling the hand he was dealt. I won't say he was masterful, but particularly with Aurilia, I think he moved him around fairly well - even when he was subbing for EE. I think the sitting did EE some good and we'll see the benefit of that learning this year.

Turn Off Ads?