Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Reds Rumors 1.4.2007

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Cincinnati Reds Rumors 1.4.2007

The Reds news around here has been very very dry for awhile. Well I hate to damper your moods but I do have some Reds related rumors to pass along...

Ryan Franklin, RHRP--Cincinnati Reds
    Nationals interested. The Royals had previously expressed interest....This rumor was last updated on 04:23 PM - Jan 3, 07. The source of this rumor was Jerry Crasnick/mlb4u.com
    Rodrigo Lopez, RHSP--Baltimore Orioles
    The Orioles are shopping him, but there are conflicting reports over whether or not they would be willing to non-tender him. The D-Backs, Reds, Royals, Nationals, Mets, Rockies, Mariners, Brewers and Cardinals have expressed interest. Yankees, Reds, Padres have previously had interest in him. The Brewers and Orioles have previously discussed swapping Lopez for Kevin Mench or Geoff Jenkins. Royals are in serious discussions to acquire him and are offering Reggie Sanders, with the Orioles prefering Emil Brown. Another deal that was discussed was a three-team deal that would have sent Lopez to the Nats and Detroit's Marcus Thames to Baltimore. The Brewers reportedly had a deal in place to send Mench to the Orioles for Lopez, but the O's instead chose to add Jay Payton. The O's offered him to the Mariners for Ben Broussard, but the Mariners wanted Jaret Wright for Broussard. The Astros and Orioles have discussed a Lopez for Luke Scott deal. A 3-way deal with the Tigers to swap Scott for Marcus Thames has also been discussed. Rockies remain in talks with the O's. Several teams, including the Rockies and Royals, have made recent offers of mid-level prospects for him, but the Orioles want more....This rumor was last updated on 05:26 PM - Jan 3, 07. The source of this rumor was Ken Rosenthal/mlb4u.com
    Mark Loretta, 2B--Boston Red Sox
    Posted: 09:53 PM - Jan 3, 07
    The Giants had a 1-year, $4M deal in place with him, but after bringing back Ray Durham and Pedro Feliz their pursuit of Loretta is over. The Reds have offered him a 2-year, $6M to platoon at 1B and 2B. The Reds, however, while confirming talks say they have not made an offer. "We have not made an offer to Mark Loretta, I can tell you that," Reds manager Jerry Narron said without hesitation during the winter meetings. The Mets have expressed interest and made a 1-year offer. Loretta's first choice remains to play for the Padres and he offered them a 1-year, $2M deal, but they have seemingly filled their needs with Todd Walker and Marcus Giles. The Rangers have made an offer, but have been told he will sign elsewhere. He talked with the Yankees about playing 1B, but it is more likely he will receive a deal to be a utility INF from them. Astros have mild interest....This rumor was last updated on 09:53 PM - Jan 3, 07. The source of this rumor was Buster Olney/mlb4u.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati Reds Rumors 1.4.2007

Just what the Reds need, Rodrigo Lopez. At least he's under 35. He is a terrible option. There has to be a suitor for Eric Milton if Lopez has value.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I can't believe all the interest in the easy-to-hit Rodrigo Lopez.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I can't believe all the interest in the easy-to-hit Rodrigo Lopez.
    Agreed. Ted Power could get more guys out and he's already going to ST with the Reds.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I don't know why WayneK and the Reds waste their time pursuing deals that offer no true benefit for the club. What is the point? Let's say the Reds manage to fanagle Lopez away from the Orioles, and let's pretend they didn't have to offer anything of value to get him. To what end? What has it gained them? Yet another mediocre pitcher who's ERA will sit somewhere around 5, will aggravate Reds fans, and will prove difficult to unload.

The Reds have spent the better part of the last ten years collecting spare parts and throw-ins, and the team isn't a whit better because of it.

Whatever plan WayneK may have for this club isn't readily apparent at the moment. Right now they're just treading water.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I dunno. Lopez has been pitching in a hitter's park and in a very tough division. Even so, he's had some solid years. I think he'd be a good candidate to surprise in his first year in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I dunno. Lopez has been pitching in a hitter's park and in a very tough division. Even so, he's had some solid years. I think he'd be a good candidate to surprise in his first year in the NL.
    You may well be 100% right, but when did this become a method of scouting?

It's worked at times no question [see Arroyo, Bronson] but I don't think it's a wise baseball, nor business decision to HOPE that a guy is going to benefit from switching leagues.

Sure, if the pitching coach sees a flaw in his mechanics he believes he can straighten out and get more out of him, ok maybe you do it. I just don't believe in wishing/hoping/guessing that a guy will be better because he's been in the AL East which was a 'hard' division.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Maybe Wayne puts his name out there so other "Rival" GM's will get in the mix.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Loretta to sign with Houston, per Rotoworld (1yr 2.5mil).

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Sure, if the pitching coach sees a flaw in his mechanics he believes he can straighten out and get more out of him, ok maybe you do it. I just don't believe in wishing/hoping/guessing that a guy will be better because he's been in the AL East which was a 'hard' division.
    It's been this team's MO for quite awhile now. Pick 'em up, hope they work out. Occasionally, they do. Frequently, they don't.

And it does NOTHING to solve this team's long term problems.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Sure, if the pitching coach sees a flaw in his mechanics he believes he can straighten out and get more out of him, ok maybe you do it.
    Pitching guro Leo Mazzone was his coach this season, and his ERA was nearly 6.00. That bodes not well.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Pitching guro Leo Mazzone was his coach this season, and his ERA was nearly 6.00. That bodes not well.
    Lopez's second half was also markedly better than his first half. You'd have to call that a positive sign heading into 07.

He's definitely a guy I'd be happy to have in the 4th/5th spot, and if somehow he reverts to the sub-4.00 ERA form, he can be that 3rd starter... though he isn't a 200 innings horse -- they'd have to manage his innings closely, I think.

Slow days here in rumor-land. Dig some old ones up and try again.

Mark Loretta's gonna get at least 400 AB's in Houston. I'll think about that for a minute and see if that's a good thing.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

You may well be 100% right, but when did this become a method of scouting?
    I for one would welcome the addition of Lopez to the Reds rotation in ’07. Here's my long-winded argument:

Upon first glance, it’s very easy to turn a nose up at Lopez. His ERA last season sucked. It was bad. His scouting report doesn’t summon visions of greatness since he’s a crafty sort depending upon changing speeds and location and with a fastball that tops out in the high 80’s though it has good movement. However, a closer look reveals he is more valuable than a passing glance would suggest.

Lopez
    2002: K/9: 6.22; BB/9: 2.84; HR/9: 1.05; FB%: 38.2; HR/FB: 10.1; LOB%: 75.4; FIP: 4.36; ERA: 3.57; IP: 196;
    2003: K/9: 6.31; BB/9: 2.63; HR/9: 1.47; FB%: 35.0; HR/FB: 13.7; LOB%: 67.5; FIP: 5.00; ERA: 5.82; IP: 147;
    2004: K/9: 6.38; BB/9: 2.85; HR/9: 1.11; FB%: 36.2; HR/FB: 11.0; LOB%: 78.2; FIP: 4.37; ERA: 3.59; IP: 170;
    2005: K/9: 5.07; BB/9: 2.71; HR/9: 1.20; FB%: 35.8; HR/FB: 10.9; LOB%: 67.0; FIP: 4.81; ERA: 4.50; IP: 209;
    2006: K/9: 6.38; BB/9: 2.82; HR/9: 1.48; FB%: 35.1; HR/FB: 13.9; LOB%: 66.7; FIP: 4.93; ERA: 5.88; IP: 189;

Upon closer look, Lopez’s ERA of 5.88 in ’06 was not representative of his peripherals. For his career, Lopez has been remarkably consistent across the board concerning his skill set with the exception of two *unrepeatable skills* that pitchers cannot control- HR/FB and LOB%. Basically LOB% or HR/FB has largely determined whether his ERA was good or bad-IMHO, random variation has clouded his value. Importantly, if you compare his peripherals to the ’06 MLB average for starters, Lopez has the skill set of a league average starter.

2006 MLB Starter Averages: K/9: 6.27; BB/9: 3.05; HR/9: 1.14; HR/FB: 11.0; FIP: 4.60; ERA: 4.61;

Interestingly he even has neutral GO/FO tendencies. Lopez won’t be an ace-there is no chance of that as he doesn’t have *upside* in that sense. However, you’ll know exactly what he’ll give you. It will be somewhere near league average and he’ll do it while eating a significant number of innings. Those attributes are valuable. As an added bonus, when becoming a Red he would get to pitch around the #8 hitter so that he can pitch to the pitcher. Importantly, he’ll do all that for roughly $4M a year and would only require a 1 year commitment. Baltimore has tried to trade him since the winter meetings and it is looking like it won’t ultimately require a lot to get him.

Now compare that to Milton and his extreme fly ball tendencies.

Milton:
    2002: K/9: 6.37; BB/9: 1.58; HR/9: 1.26; FB%: 45.8; HR/FB: 9.6; LOB%: 63.8; FIP: 4.19; ERA: 4.84; IP: 171;
    2003: K/9: 3.71; BB/9: .53; HR/9: 1.06; FB%: 51.2; HR/FB: 7.4; LOB%: 83.3; FIP: 4.08; ERA: 2.65; IP: 17;
    2004: K/9: 7.21; BB/9: 3.36; HR/9: 1.93; FB%: 52.5; HR/FB: 13.5; LOB%: 76.5; FIP: 5.51; ERA: 4.75; IP: 201;
    2005: K/9: 5.94; BB/9: 2.51; HR/9: 1.94; FB%: 46.5; HR/FB: 13.9; LOB%: 64.6; FIP: 5.37; ERA: 6.47; IP: 186;
    2006: K/9: 5.31; BB/9: 2.48; HR/9: 1.71; FB%: 50.3; HR/FB: 11.9; LOB%: 68.5; FIP: 5.35; ERA: 5.19; IP: 153;

Milton has not been a good pitcher since his injury in 2003. He basically was aided by an unsustainable LOB% during his rebound/contract year that masked his decline. Unfortunately, the Reds are now paying the price. Telling it like it is, Milton is a $9M a year replacement level starter. Milton’s production is easy to replace (E. Ramirez would do it for close to league minimum) and at this point there is no reason to expect him to have a turn around type of year. He stunk in Philadelphia and he stinks as a Red. Clearly Lopez represents an upgrade.

There is another guy with potential value in the mix for the Reds. Enter Kyle Lohse:

Lohse
    2002: K/9: 6.18; BB/9: 3.49; HR/9: 1.30; FB%: 41.7; HR/FB: 11.0; LOB%: 75.1; FIP: 5.01; ERA: 4.23; IP: 180;
    2003: K/9: 5.82; BB/9: 2.01; HR/9: 1.25; FB%: 39.3; HR/FB: 11.1; LOB%: 69.4; FIP: 4.46; ERA: 4.61; IP: 201;
    2004: K/9: 5.15; BB/9: 3.53; HR/9: 1.30; FB%: 36.9; HR/FB: 11.2; LOB%: 68.7; FIP: 5.22; ERA: 5.34; IP: 194;
    2005: K/9: 4.33; BB/9: 2.22; HR/9: 1.11; FB%: 33.7; HR/FB: 10.5; LOB%: 76.8; FIP: 4.73; ERA: 4.18; IP: 178;
    2006: K/9: 6.89; BB/9: 3.13; HR/9: 1.07; FB%: 37.3; HR/FB: 9.9; LOB%: 65.4; FIP: 4.39; ERA: 5.81; IP: 126;

His peripherals have been more variable as a starter than Lopez’s presumably because of tinkering by the Twins designed to help him finally reach his potential (’06 was effected by a trip to the pen). Or maybe the variability speaks to his main issue. While he clearly has pretty good stuff, his big knock is being able to consistently put it all together. At this point he shouldn’t be expected to. However, he has the potential to eat innings somewhere roughly around a league average starter as well. The Twins had better options but the Reds are looking for options to do just that. His salary and commitment are similar to Lopez’s-1 yr/approx. $4M. The Reds control Lohse though.

Assuming no big trade brings a starter, a rotation like this could give the Reds a fighting chance with a little luck:
    1. Harang
    2. Arroyo
    3. Lopez
    4. Lohse
    5. E. Ramirez/Livingtson as placeholders until Homer is called up (looks like the end of July???)

Milton would be my $9M long reliever/mop up guy.

That’s two guys you can safely assume are above league average (though Arroyo will regrees from '06 likely), two that should be league average, and a backend guy you hope could do something like Elizardo did during the first half of ’06 until Homer arrives. That rotation would at least be better on the backend then the ’06 rotation. Importantly, the Reds wouldn't have to blow a hole in their offense via trade to do it....
    Last edited by jojo; 01-04-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Assuming no big trade brings a starter, a rotation like this could give the Reds a fighting chance:
    1. Harang
    2. Arroyo
    3. Lopez
    4. Lohse
    5. E. Ramirez/Livingtson as placeholders until Homer is called up (looks like the end of July???)

I just vommitted

Turn Off Ads?