Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is RedsZone's #7 prospect?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jared Burton

2 2.17%
  • Jon Coutlangus

1 1.09%
  • Chris Dickerson

0 0%
  • Danny Dorn

0 0%
  • Phil Dumatrait

0 0%
  • Carlos Fisher

0 0%
  • Richie Gardner

0 0%
  • Jerry Gil

0 0%
  • Carlos Guevara

1 1.09%
  • Josh Hamilton

12 13.04%
  • Norris Hopper

0 0%
  • Paul Janish

1 1.09%
  • Sam LeCure

11 11.96%
  • Bobby Livingston

0 0%
  • Milton Loo

3 3.26%
  • Derek Lutz

0 0%
  • Calvin Medlock

0 0%
  • Wirfin Obispo

0 0%
  • Logan Parker

0 0%
  • Tyler Pelland

1 1.09%
  • Josh Ravin

1 1.09%
  • Adam Rosales

0 0%
  • Brad Salmon

1 1.09%
  • David Shafer

2 2.17%
  • Cody Strait

0 0%
  • B. J. Szymanski

0 0%
  • Craig Tatum

1 1.09%
  • Daryl Thompson

1 1.09%
  • Justin Turner

1 1.09%
  • Chris Valaika

51 55.43%
  • Sean Watson

2 2.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is RedsZone's #7 Prospect?

Re: Who is RedsZone's #7 Prospect?

I went with Shafer too M2. I think there's a lot to be said for the value of attrition. Maybe he doesn't have the ceiling some guys do, but any guy with these career numbers:

2.60 ERA
    1.11 WHIP
    7.31 H/9
    0.51 HR/9
    9.84 K/9

I don't know much about his stuff, and I know he's a reliever, but you can't deny those numbers. He's been flat out dominant. Why we need 8 veteran relievers who only serve to block the way for guys who appear ready to go (or darn close) like Shafter and Salmon is beyond me. I'm a bit wary of listing a high potential guy with only 275 professional ABs over somebody who's been excellent for over 3 years.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Salmon was a little too wild last year for my taste. If he can maintain a K rate above 11, then that would okay, but I'm assuming he doesn't have the stuff to keep that up. He'd still be a better option than a couple of people we'll be throwing out there opening day.

I have no idea what's holding back Shafer. Unless he's just "Petit-ing" everybody, he should definitely be given a good chance at the bullpen during spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Salmon was a little too wild last year for my taste. If he can maintain a K rate above 11, then that would okay, but I'm assuming he doesn't have the stuff to keep that up. He'd still be a better option than a couple of people we'll be throwing out there opening day.

I have no idea what's holding back Shafer. Unless he's just "Petit-ing" everybody, he should definitely be given a good chance at the bullpen during spring training.
    Mike Stanton, David Weathers, Bill Bray, Gary Majewski, Todd Coffey, Rheal Cormier, Matt Belisle, Jared Burton....

For both Shafer and Salmon, somebody is going to have to get hurt or traded if they want to get a shot.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Put Shafer in for Cormier and Salmon in for Burton. Mike Stanton, David Weathers, Bill Bray, Gary Majewski, and Todd Coffey should be the only one's with guaranteed bullpen jobs in my opinion.

Turn Off Ads?