Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 1953-1954 Reds Team Ball

COP REDS FAN

1953-1954 Reds Team Ball

I am looking for an expert that can identify 4 signatures on a ball that my father gave me. They are not on the team roster and I can't seem to identify them at all. They are not the usual suspects. This is a Cincinnati Baseball Club official ball that he got at the ballpark in or around 1954. His neighbor was a sports photographer for the Cincinnati Enquirer and frequently got him on the field at practice sessions and in the clubhouse for the autograph sessions. The autos appear to be Anderson, Stewart, Simpson, and Melton. I never heard of them, but that doesn't mean jack. I am not the authority. I wish my father kept all of the free stuff he allegedly got as a kid while in the dugout.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auto 1.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	4321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auto 2.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	4322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auto 4.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	4323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auto 3.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	4324  

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 1953-1954 Reds Team Ball

Westofyou !!! Come in, Westofyou.....
    Last edited by Blimpie; 01-08-2007 at 05:17 PM.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

One looks like it says "Doc" Anderson, which may mean that he was the team doctor or trainer. I would look to see if you can find a list of the coaches, training staff, and front office personnel.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Doc Anderson was Wayne Anderson, the team trainer, underneath John Steward is (I believe ) Corky Valentine who was a pitcher, the rest could be either bat boys, or some player who might have been up in September (but didn't play). That' would probably be Melton, Simpson and Stewart. The Reds farm teams in that span were Nashville/Havana/San Diego.

That ball was likely signed in September of 1954 or September 1955. Mostly because Valentine was a Red briefly in 1955 but all of 1954.

If you want to figure out who the others are, I'd check the rosters of those teams in those years.

COP REDS FAN

I saw that Grady Hatton has a signature on the ball, so that would put it before April 1954. Rocky Krsnich and Connie Ryan also signed, so that would be after December 10, 1953. I have been scouring the internet for minor league rosters and not having any luck. Thanks for identifying "Doc" Wayne Anderson. Still looking...

Turn Off Ads?