Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: UK basketball question

Re: UK basketball question

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What's a UK bball fan going to say to a Florida fan?

What's a UK fan going to say to a Florida fan, PERIOD??
    What has Florida accomplished? No...wait...never mind!

But hey, we had Adolph Rupp!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

How about, "Good morning, Boss..."

part of BBN

My goodness....Florida?....what are we gonna say to a Vandy fan ?
    Oh I know..." hey you Vandy fan.....you're gonna have to pick it up a bit, Florida's beat us 6 in a row.
    You guys only 4...... "
    Last edited by jmac; 03-17-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    what are we gonna say to a Vandy fan ?
    "Would you like fries with that?"
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Being an impartial observer and occasional watcher of UK hoops, it seems to me that Tubby is a great coach. However, when watching them against the elite teams they just don't match up talent-wise. Tubby showed what he could do when he had great players in his first season. Yeah, they may have been Pitino's recruits but I have seen time and again ultra-talented not win the big one. Who was more talented than those Michigan teams back in the mid 90s? But not even great coaches can win without talent. Ultimately the recruiting problems are Tubby's responsibility. Tubby seems like a personable guy and you don't need to be Mr. Charisma to get elite athletes to go to your school. Roy Wiliams is a perfect example. UK has as much tradition as Carolina does. So it's not like when a recruit gets a letter from UK, he throws it in the trash. So the question is, why would a top high school player pick Carolina or UCLA or Arizona over UK? Those teams aren't cheating so you can't say they are playing dirty. Perhaps Tubby needs some - or an - assistant who can recruit like no one's business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Perhaps Tubby needs some - or an - assistant who can recruit like no one's business.
    That's exactly what he needs. Joe B. Hall had Leonard Hamilton. Denny Crum had Wade Houston. I'm sure some of you can think of others. These men were the secret of these programs' successes in the 70s and 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Perhaps Tubby needs some - or an - assistant who can recruit like no one's business.
    Even if they did get that though they would still be under Tubby's system. I don't think it's as much Tubby being a bad recruiter, by no stretch is he good either, but that kids just don't want to play in his slow it down, grind it out win 55-50 style. As good as Kevin Durrant is, there is no way Tubby lets him throw up the 30 shots a game he took if he went to UK, although he seems content to let Crawford hoist up about that many from 25 ft though for some reason . Even if they did bring in a great recruiter I don't think it would do much to help bring in All-Americans.

Part of the problem might also be that Tubby can't recognize talent. He passed on Brewer and Lofton saying both were not SEC players and I think both were on first team all SEC, not sure about Brewer but I'm sure he at least made honorable mention or something. That has nothing to do with recruiting and getting them to commit, they both wanted to come to Lexington, Tubby was just not able to recognize the talent either had. Even if the recruiter sees the talent and can get the kid to want to come to UK, it is still up to Tubby to offer the scholarship and it is well documented that he is pretty hard headed and won't listen to anyone once he makes up his mind.

I know it has been mentioned before but Tubby would be perfect for somewhere like Michigan. Somewhere where making the tournament every year and winning a game or two in it is good enough. All the media pressure and fan discontent there is put squarely on the back of the football coach and Tubby would be able to go about his business fairly unnoticed.

To give him credit, Pitino turned down Lofton as well.

Most of all, I think UK just needs a change. We need to switch it up. Get new assistants, etc. and if that doesnt give us a good season next year, then get rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket View Post
    Even if they did get that though they would still be under Tubby's system. I don't think it's as much Tubby being a bad recruiter, by no stretch is he good either, but that kids just don't want to play in his slow it down, grind it out win 55-50 style. As good as Kevin Durrant is, there is no way Tubby lets him throw up the 30 shots a game he took if he went to UK, although he seems content to let Crawford hoist up about that many from 25 ft though for some reason . Even if they did bring in a great recruiter I don't think it would do much to help bring in All-Americans.

Part of the problem might also be that Tubby can't recognize talent. He passed on Brewer and Lofton saying both were not SEC players and I think both were on first team all SEC, not sure about Brewer but I'm sure he at least made honorable mention or something. That has nothing to do with recruiting and getting them to commit, they both wanted to come to Lexington, Tubby was just not able to recognize the talent either had. Even if the recruiter sees the talent and can get the kid to want to come to UK, it is still up to Tubby to offer the scholarship and it is well documented that he is pretty hard headed and won't listen to anyone once he makes up his mind.

I know it has been mentioned before but Tubby would be perfect for somewhere like Michigan. Somewhere where making the tournament every year and winning a game or two in it is good enough. All the media pressure and fan discontent there is put squarely on the back of the football coach and Tubby would be able to go about his business fairly unnoticed.
    The reasons you just listed for top recruits is the reason why Brandan Wright, who grew up a UK fan, instead chose the Tar Heels. Tyler Hansbrough as well. I have a feeling another big man Kentucky is recruiting will eventually be lost to Duke or Florida because of "Tubbyball".

I think people make a bigger deal about Lofton than what is really there. Nobody except maybe the rural population of Maysville, KY expected Lofton to come in for Tennessee and do what he did. At the time, we had Rajon Rondo, Joe Crawford, Patrick Sparks, and Ramel Bradley coming in, so Lofton would have never been able to play much to showcase his talent. However, hindsight is 20/20. Would I take Lofton now? You bet. Would I have taken him then with the players coming in? Probably not.

Also, UK has not had very good luck under Tubby with in-state players. JP Blevins and Ravi Moss were solid, but Josh Carrier, Adam Chiles, and Brandon Stockton were less than spectacular.

However, I think the comment that Tubby made regarding Corey Brewer not being an SEC capable player shows why I think Kentucky needs to make a coaching change. Tubbyball might work in the Big-10 or maybe the Big East, but not in the fast paced, fun and gun SEC. We can't run with the likes of Florida, and its ultimately becoming our downfall.

Don't get me wrong, Tubby Smith is from all accounts a great man, and believe it or not, I admire him for accepting blame to deflect from Sheray Thomas on the lane violation. Even though Thomas was most likely clearly in the wrong, Tubby put himself on the line for more scorn and ridicule by Kentucky fans to protect his players.

However, it is time for something to happen. If I am Lee Todd and Mitch Barnhardt, I am suggesting to Tubby to make radical changes to the coaching staff. Sean Finney needs to be the only holdover. If no improvement is made, then its time to "Drain the Tub".

As I said, Tubby is a great person, but I think that for everyone involved, it is time to move on. Tubby has endured merciless ridicule, most of it undeserved(Saul Smith). The pressure is mounting, and I don't think he will ever meet the expectations of competing with the likes of Duke, UNC, and Kansas. A school like Michigan where reaching the NCAA tournament is all that is expected is the best case scenario.

Regardless, I wish Tubby success, but I don't think it will be in the Commonwealth.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Anything going on today with the program?

Hey Blimpie.... not to say I told you so.... BUT....

Hey Blimpie.... not to say I told you so.... BUT....
    Uhm...actually I told YOU so. On this--or any other board--I have always maintained:

"Tubby Smith will only leave this program (under his current contract) if he decides to do so."

There was no way in hell that Barnhardt was canning him and eating that contract when he knew that Tubby could be easily pursuaded to leave by outside forces.

Now, granted, I had no idea his destination would be Minnesota. Michigan maybe, but not Minnesota.

You don't think part of it spurring him on was an ultimatum that he must fire his assistants? I think that may have been part of the leverage used.

La Dolce Vita

Hey, he just did what the fans wanted.

Should be a bunch of happy folks on this thread.

We won't see a person of his quality and integrity again, I'm sure.
    teach tolerance.

Yeah those 12 loss seasons will be really hard for the next coach to replicate.

Turn Off Ads?