Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: UK basketball question

Re: UK basketball question

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Then how do you explain Ed Davender?
    Do we really need to explain this:

When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Time to amend my previous post of problems:

- Vanderbilt has won 4 straight against the Cats. The last time that happened was 33 years ago in 1973-74.

It's sad to say, but the Tubby era MUST come to an end now.

Disheartening.

Kentucky led for the first 39:35 of the game and managed to lose...

I miss when being a UK fan meant that you could care about March Madness...

Anybody know the last time , if ever, UK has gone the entire year without beating a top 25 team?

Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket View Post
    Anybody know the last time , if ever, UK has gone the entire year without beating a top 25 team?
    Hmmm...good question. The 1990 team, Pitino's first and the first of two years on probation, went 14-14, so we might start looking there. The year before, Eddie Sutton's last team had a horrible year. I don't even remember the record, because I stopped watching that mess long before the season ended, but that team would be a candidate, as well.

There was an article in the Louisville paper this weekend that said that Tubby is a great coach and that he should stay, and placed the blame on his assistants. They pointed out that in ten years, he has only had two assistants leave for head coaching jobs. The others have been there ten years with no offers. That would seem to be a problem. The suggestion was that he have a housecleaning with the assistants. I can't say that I disagree. Somebody's going to have to learn to recruit. Isn't that the main focus of assistants?

If the assistants are that bad then why has Tubby kept them around for so long? I don't think that does anything to help alleviate Tubby of the mess he has created. I saw the article Lance had posted on his blog where somebody was blaming the fans as to why UK was getting no top recruits. At the end of the day the guy in charge has to answer for the final product. Due to his contract and unremitting support from the AD I don't see him or his assistants going anywhere for awhile.

The fact that Tubby didn't even recruit Chris Wright until after he had been locked into Dayton struck me as odd. Especially considering he's never been shy about the fact Kentucky was his favorite team growing up.

I'm no Kentucky fan, but having them at the top is good for college basketball. Tubby just is not getting the job done down there.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Hmmm...good question. The 1990 team, Pitino's first and the first of two years on probation, went 14-14
    They beat LSU (with Chris Jackson and Shaq) that year.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

If the assistants are that bad then why has Tubby kept them around for so long? I don't think that does anything to help alleviate Tubby of the mess he has created. I saw the article Lance had posted on his blog where somebody was blaming the fans as to why UK was getting no top recruits. At the end of the day the guy in charge has to answer for the final product. Due to his contract and unremitting support from the AD I don't see him or his assistants going anywhere for awhile.
    I think he has kept the assistants out of loyalty.

I agree that the head coach is ultimately responsible for the team's performance, but I'm starting to think that Tubby's weakness lies in his failure to shake up the coaching staff rather than in his actual ability to coach the game. He showed in his first few years here what he could do, given the right players. Rather than just the obvious "Tubby needs to leave" movement, I sense another movement of "Tubby needs to stay and shake up the coaching staff". I've moved over to the latter camp.

You're right that Barnhardt isn't going to fire him, but I think some feel that Tubby may leave on his own.

I wondered the same thing, but it's not been easy to find that stat.

Most people that defend Tubby (myself included up until this year) say that he always gets his teams ready for tournament time, but I simply don't see that happening this year. They've lost so many close games the exact same way that it's apparent that this team simply cannot make the adjustments necessary to win close games.

I predict they'll squeeze into the NCAA Tournament, but it will be as a 15-16 seed.

Regarding assistant coaches, I believe it's very possible that the Wildcat's mediocre coaching staff could be the problem. Still, if the HEAD coach can't make changes necessary to improve the team, should he still be the head coach? Honestly, I don't know if I'm willing to give Tubby another year even if he were to announce a house-cleaning in regards to his assistants. Tubby lost control of this team back when Gerald Fitch was still playing. The off-court problems have disappeared, but the on-court ones are still front-and-center.
    Last edited by durl; 02-26-2007 at 10:30 AM.

There is no way Kentucky will be a 15 or 16 seed. A 10 or 11 maybe but certainly not a 15.

[QUOTE=durl;1249731]
    I predict they'll squeeze into the NCAA Tournament, but it will be as a 15-16 seed.

QUOTE]

They should still make the tournament but they won't be a 15 or 16 seed. They will probablly be a 10 or 11 and play someone like Oregon or Butler and lose by 3 or 4 due to a boneheaded play by Crawford or Bradley in the final minute. To be fair though they might not even deserve to be in the tournament. Who have they beat? I know their RPI is at 10 as of this morning but that is more because of who they have lost to (UNC, Memphis, UCLA, Florida) than who they have beat (a struggling UL at the time and Indiana? I am having trouble coming up with another big win). As much as the committee says tradition and history does not play a part in the selection process I bet it is UK's saving grace this year.

Kentucky is 10 in the RPI? Wow, I didn't know that. They may end up with a better seed than I thought.

Turn Off Ads?