Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The "GAC awards"

Re: The "GAC awards"

Now that's some saw!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bet you were wearing the goggles and hardhat, just like the guy in the picture, huh GAC?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I bought one of these this past fall to trim the dead branches on our humongous maple trees around the property. The trees got nailed really bad a couple winters back with that ice storm that hit central Ohio.

My wife refused to look outdoors while I was working.

Oh dear Lord...

GAC with a weapon like that?

I'd sooner give a loaded machine gun to a monkey in the middle of a crowded mall.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

That saw is just SO wrong. I have one like it with just a blade. It's come apart at the telescoping area many times while I was sawing.

This Christmas, I was lighting candles all around the living room. TB is nagging me to use the trigger lighter thingie, but I ignored her and just used my bic. All of a sudden, was thumb got the worst of a flame and in a reaction, I pulled my hand back and branded my lip with the metal part of the lighter. Hmmmmmm ..... she got the last laugh, and I went back to work swearing that I didn't have Herpes.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Future Reds All Star

It really was funny!! Stupid but funny

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Oh dear Lord...

GAC with a weapon like that?

I'd sooner give a loaded machine gun to a monkey in the middle of a crowded mall.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Oh my god, that sounds like a nasty accident.
    Yeah, definitely. My family has terrible luck with accidents...we joke a lot on this board about this where GAC is concerned (and it is hysterically funny), but GAC is very lucky and I know he knows that. He has the lives of a cat at least. Buying a machine like that chainsaw on a stick thing is definitely tempting fate, though
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

IIRC I think I've mentioned the mishaps of my little sister:

1) as a toddler - she chased our puppy and would pull it's tail - she cornered it under a coffee table and it reared around and bit her around her eye. She still carries the scar tho' it's travelled up her face.
    2) Also as a toddler - got into the garage and drank turpentine and had to have her stomach pumped.
    3) My mom was downstairs ironng and talking with a neighbor, and she wasn't paying attention to my sister - who put the hook end of a coat hanger thro the bottom of her mouth.
    4) Playing on the swingset down at a community park - we would try to push the swing as hard as we could (w/o a person in it) to see if we could push it over the top. My sister did and was distracted and the swing hit her in the forehead.
    5) Tripped and fell on a sewer gate, hitting her forehead.
    6) Playing "dodge" with our bikes - she crashes into steel garbage cans, flips over the bars of the bike and lands spread eagle on a rim - cutting her down in the nether region.
    7) Scraps her shin almost down to the bone by trying to go through the rungs of pool ladder.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    He has the lives of a cat at least. Buying a machine like that chainsaw on a stick thing is definitely tempting fate, though
    Could you just imagine the insurance rates in his neighborhood ? Suppose they have bunkers or protective barriers?
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 01-07-2007 at 11:35 PM.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Me and two friends were hanging out one day back in high school. We lived in the country, all about 2 miles apart. Troy had a moped and we didn't. We decided to go to Troy's and play some roundball.

Three guys. One moped. What to do?

Our collective genius came up with this plan: Troy drives the moped, John rides on back, Rik gets pulled behind on John's ten-speed. Problem solved.

One end of rope tied to the back of moped. Check. Other end wrapped around my fist and held tightly. Check. Off we go, wind in our hair, cruising at top speeds nearing 25-30 mph.

Halfway to our destination is a really sharp curve. Normally not much of an obstacle. Troy goes into the curve and backs off the throttle some to get through it. This creates slack in the rope and when they clear the turn I'm just heading into it. Troy comes through the turn and guns it back to full speed. This of course takes up the slack in the rope very fast and jerks my hand with the rope wrapped around it, turning the wheel and dumping me over the handlebars to be dragged for several feet until the rope unwrapped.

It drove one of the gear shifters into my shin pretty deep and I had a serious case of road rash from my fingers to my armpit.

That might have been my last bike ride other than the stationary exercise kind.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    IIRC I think I've mentioned the mishaps of my little sister:

1) as a toddler - she chased our puppy and would pull it's tail - she cornered it under a coffee table and it reared around and bit her around her eye. She still carries the scar tho' it's travelled up her face.
    2) Also as a toddler - got into the garage and drank turpentine and had to have her stomach pumped.
    3) My mom was downstairs ironng and talking with a neighbor, and she wasn't paying attention to my sister - who put the hook end of a coat hanger thro the bottom of her mouth.
    4) Playing on the swingset down at a community park - we would try to push the swing as hard as we could (w/o a person in it) to see if we could push it over the top. My sister did and was distracted and the swing hit her in the forehead.
    5) Tripped and fell on a sewer gate, hitting her forehead.
    6) Playing "dodge" with our bikes - she crashes into steel garbage cans, flips over the bars of the bike and lands spread eagle on a rim - cutting her down in the nether region.
    7) Scraps her shin almost down to the bone by trying to go through the rungs of pool ladder.
    That's some list, Kitty. Is she still accident prone?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    That's some list, Kitty. Is she still accident prone?
    If she is, she probably doesn't tell us...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I'll have you all know that I used that saw for 3 days straight without incident. They work great as a matter of fact.

It was on the fourth day that I fell out of the tree while using a hand saw. That was when my 10 yr old, who was watching me, yelled "Wow Dad! That was awesome. I wish I had a camera!"

And on the fifth day I set myself on fire working on the lawn mower.

On the sixth day I rested. And the seventh, and the eighth, and the ninth.....
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I bought one of these this past fall to trim the dead branches on our humongous maple trees around the property. The trees got nailed really bad a couple winters back with that ice storm that hit central Ohio.

My wife refused to look outdoors while I was working.

Ooooo, I got to get me one of those.

Back in the day, we were having a party at someone's farm. As usual, massive quantities of alcohol and other substances were consumed. An impromptu volleyball game started. The problem was, there were a lot of tree limbs in the way.

Being the practical guys we are, we soon found a solution. The farm owner had a cherry picker that we could use to trim the limbs. However, the cherry picker didn't have a basket on it. Sane people would have discarded the idea as unworkable.

To the rescue comes the solver of all problems, duct tape! We duct-taped a guy on the end of the cherry picker and armed with a chain saw. Of course, we gave him safety goggles and a heavy jacket to wear. Safety first!

Did I mention we had been drinking? Heavily? Of couse, the cherry picker operator (who assured us he was fine) was massively drunk and repeatedly bashes the duct-taped guy with a running chain saw against the tree branches. When blood began to drip down, we realized maybe it hadn't been such a good idea.

It took us a bit to cut the guy loose from the duct tape since all the blood made everything slippery and he kept passing out. We told the people at the ER that he had been running with scissors. They didn't believe us.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I've rarely been seriously hurt, because I am a grown up wuss. I run from danger.
    Not always successfully, though.
    When I was about four, I fell off a picnic table. Apparently, I was pretty banged up by it, though I don't remember it. My parents said that deserved a long trip to the emergency room.
    Piqua High School had a softball in the back with a field almost literally made of gravel and sand. One day, I decided it was a good idea to slide into second on a close play while wearing shorts. Little bit o' blood from that one.
    Back in the day, if we wanted to make orange juice from concentrate, we had to use a can opener - at the same time, the sides of the can were made of cardboard. Opening one can, the opener slipped, my hand slipped and I sliced my wrist pretty good. Technically, I should have gone to the emergency room for that one, as the cut was rather near the vein. However, I kinda failed to let my parents know about it for a couple of years.
    Finally, when I was in early highschool, we had one heck of a snow - snow, then some sleet. it created a spectacular sledding opportunity. A friend of mine used this to our best advantage. We took one of those flat blue really slick sleds (I call them "blue death", and greased up the bottoms). Yeah - it finally dawned on me that it was a bad idea, halfway down the hill as I sped towards a collection of trees in front of our creek. I chose the trees, hitting it butt first at what seemed to me to be about a billion miles per hour. My back has never been the same.
    Not to be outdone, my friend decided to give it a shot. He shot for a longer side of the hill - unfortunately, he did not inform me of this plan. Had he, I would have told him about the barbed wire in the middle of the field. I still don't remember what he grabbed onto - pretty sure it was one of my parents' small pines - but he stopped himself just in time.

Turn Off Ads?