Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Wayne Krivsky's "Plan"

Re: Wayne Krivsky's "Plan"

Gary Majewski was a proven reliever. Just sayin'...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Well, the article actually says "quality" starting pitching, not "proven starter" so no bait and switch has taken place. You can read into the article whatever you wish.
    Quite a leap I took from "quality" to "proven" there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Oh well we can argue over the "what if" potential of AK and FL all day long. What is really important is what the Reds are able to do in the here and now. I think the chances of finding this "undervalued" pitcher, and we are able to pull off a trade (no matter what player(s) we might offer) are slim to none in this market, but hopefully Wayne will prove me wrong.
    Well, Wayne hasn't done it. It, however, remains his job and until he does something like it, then what you've got is a lot of backfill in place of an actual plan.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Well, Wayne hasn't done it. It, however, remains his job and until he does something like it, then what you've got is a lot of backfill in place of an actual plan.
    Well, there is something we can definatley agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Gary Majewski was a proven reliever. Just sayin'...
    Absolutely, his 2005 season was fantastic. 86 IP and an ERA under 3.00. And he did it in his 1st full season in the Bigs at age 25. The Reds got him when he was hurt was the problem. And Bray? 23 years old and two years after being a 1st round draft pick he pitches in 48 games and comes out with an ERA just barely over 4.00. When healthy, these two guys are top quality relievers who've got good potential. What's going to happen when Bailey is ready to pitch in the Majors? Who's going to pitch in the late innings? Say what you will about the trade but if Majewski gets healthy the Reds have 2 quality relievers who are young and cheap and will be Reds for a while. I don't always agree with what WK does but I do think he has a plan. The problem is even before the trade he doesn't have a huge amount to work with. He's got almost 10 million a year going to a batting practice machine. He's got more than that going to a guy who hasn't played a full season since 2000 so who is pretty much untradeable especially at 37. The one potential superstar who could be bringing in a boatload of talent has regressed the last two seasons and is nearing the end of his contract. Except for one great prospect the minor league system is pretty barren. He's a mid-market GM watching KC talent getting NY contracts in Free Agency. He's fighting an uphill battle here and people need to cut him some slack. In his one season he took a team that was supposed to be lucky not to lose 100 games and was able to keep them contending for most of the season. It's not like the Reds were contenders before he got there. They won 80 games last season. They hadn't done that since 2000. The man deserves to be let alone. Honestly, and I know no one wants to hear this, you can't really judge him properly until after the 2008 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    Absolutely, his 2005 season was fantastic. 86 IP and an ERA under 3.00. And he did it in his 1st full season in the Bigs at age 25. The Reds got him when he was hurt was the problem. And Bray? 23 years old and two years after being a 1st round draft pick he pitches in 48 games and comes out with an ERA just barely over 4.00. When healthy, these two guys are top quality relievers who've got good potential. What's going to happen when Bailey is ready to pitch in the Majors? Who's going to pitch in the late innings? Say what you will about the trade but if Majewski gets healthy the Reds have 2 quality relievers who are young and cheap and will be Reds for a while. I don't always agree with what WK does but I do think he has a plan. The problem is even before the trade he doesn't have a huge amount to work with. He's got almost 10 million a year going to a batting practice machine. He's got more than that going to a guy who hasn't played a full season since 2000 so who is pretty much untradeable especially at 37. The one potential superstar who could be bringing in a boatload of talent has regressed the last two seasons and is nearing the end of his contract. Except for one great prospect the minor league system is pretty barren. He's a mid-market GM watching KC talent getting NY contracts in Free Agency. He's fighting an uphill battle here and people need to cut him some slack. In his one season he took a team that was supposed to be lucky not to lose 100 games and was able to keep them contending for most of the season. It's not like the Reds were contenders before he got there. They won 80 games last season. They hadn't done that since 2000. The man deserves to be let alone. Honestly, and I know no one wants to hear this, you can't really judge him properly until after the 2008 season.
    I went back and look at Majewski's stats on Baseball Cube and he looked pretty good in the minors and I hadn't seen his 2004 season before (never really bothered). I have to agree, if Majewski's healthy and if Bray develops, both of these pitchers can have a bright future for the Reds. They both bringing down the average age in the bullpen and can be strengths, something few here on Redzone seem to believe.

Turn Off Ads?