Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Johnny Bench Got Me Hammered

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Johnny Bench Got Me Hammered

So I was in the mood for sipping a little whiskey last evening. I browse down the whiskey aisle when a big red 5 catches my eye. The greatest player to ever grace the diamond has his own scotch whiskey.

For twenty bucks I got hammered with J.B.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Johnny Bench Got Me Hammered

where was this at?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

where was this at?
    From what I gather, the men's room.

So... was it any good? Or was it the kind of scotch where you want to wear shin guards and a chest protector before throwing up?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    From what I gather, the men's room.
    Ouch.

Where did this rumor get started? Didn't it come from his ex-wife commenting on their honeymoon?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

As for the scotch itself, it's 5 year old blended. Meh.

http://www.harbrew.com/bench5.htm
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Where did this rumor get started? Didn't it come from his ex-wife commenting on their honeymoon?
    I'm pretty sure it did. I was being facetitious and have no idea if that rumor is true or not and it really doesn't matter. Bench is one of the all-time greats.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I'm pretty sure it did. I was being facetitious and have no idea if that rumor is true or not and it really doesn't matter. Bench is one of the all-time greats.
    Agreed.

And I do think the joke was funny. But the rumor keeps cropping up like a canker sore every few years, and I'm still not 100% sure of the source.

What is the difference between scotch whiskey and regular whiskey?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    What is the difference between scotch whiskey and regular whiskey?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey

From the article:

Scotch whiskies are generally distilled twice and must be distilled and matured wholly within Scotland for at least three years in oak casks. They are made from malt or grain, or a blend of both.

American Straight whiskey must be made using a mash bill that consists of at least 51% and no more than 79% of a single grain. Bourbon is made from at least 51% corn; straight rye is made from at least 51% rye, and so on. American whiskies must be aged in new barrels made of American white oak that are charred before use.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I'm not much of a scotch drinker myself, I prefer Crown Royal when I sip. I ended up mixing this stuff it that tells ya anything.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

And I do think the joke was funny. But the rumor keeps cropping up like a canker sore every few years, and I'm still not 100% sure of the source.
    Growing up I heard in two places: my mother told me that Bench's ex-wife said he played pool all night on the evening of their honeymoon, and I also heard Andy Fuhrman make a joke about it when Rose was going through his mess.

So I'm being pretty unfair to the guy because I don't even know.

Turn Off Ads?