Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NFL Playoffs = crapfest

NFL Playoffs = crapfest

This is the highest caliber football we have in this country? That KC Indy game was about the worst excuse for a NFL playoff football game I have ever seen. You would think when a QB in the playoffs throws 3 picks, his team is going to lose, right? Not when the other team is even worse. KC doesn't even get a 1st down till the 2nd half. 3 times in the 1st half this supposedly potent Indy offense has to settle for FGs. KC intercepts Manning and instead of running Manning over, Ty Law gets cute ant tries to go around him and gets nailed at the 15. Easy FG for the Chiefs, right? Oh, but it hits the upright.

The Dallas Seattle game was only a little better. Ut was a field goal contest in the 1st half because neither eam was potent enough to score. And it's not like either defense was anything special. And the game is lost on a fumbled long snap. At least the Bengals had snow as an excuse, what was Romo's excuse?

It's pathetic that 4 playoff teams played this poorly. They could have picked 4 other teams that didn't make the playoffs, match them up and they wouldn't have played so poorly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NFL Playoffs = crapfest

Way to make sure and not give any credit to the Colts defense. It had nothing to do with them actually wrapping people up today. Holding the second best rusher in the NFL to 32yds, looked pretty good to me. That's easily the most fire I've seen the Colts D play with all season. The Cheifs have one of the best O lines in football and the Colts shoved them around. Only one of Manning's picks was a really bad throw, other than that 30 of 38 isn't too bad. The replay shows Marvin clearly broke the wrong way both times, he broke toward the other defensve back and left Ty Law wide open for easy picks. They say Ty Law is in Manning's head, honestly I think it's Marvin's head that he's in, but that's my opinion.

You say nobody showed for these games, I say the Colts defense finally showed up. But I know I'm biased because I'm a Colts fan.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 01-07-2007 at 02:03 AM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    what was Romo's excuse?
    Sabotage.

Montgomery Inn.

It all adds up. It makes too much sense.

Yeah, there's a lot of very average teams in the playoffs this year. But this is the parity everyone says they want. This is what happens when parity gets taken to the extreme. This is one of the reasons why I've never supported copying the NFL model for baseball.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Yeah, there's a lot of very average teams in the playoffs this year. But this is the parity everyone says they want. This is what happens when parity gets taken to the extreme. This is one of the reasons why I've never supported copying the NFL model for baseball.
    I agree with Chip, it was pathetic, but I'd still rather have what happened today than have the old formality games where they played them and it was clear who was going to win back in Novenber. Every year it was either Dallas, Frisco, or the Giants playing whatever AFC chump (Normally Denver or Buffalo) came along.

I love parity. Each year everybody has a shot, and just becuase your team has New York in front of it doesn't mean you are a contender.

Speaking of New York, it's good to know we are less than 2 hours a way from seeing them both eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    Way to make sure and not give any credit to the Colts defense. It had nothing to do with them actually wrapping people up today. Holding the second best rusher in the NFL to 32yds, looked pretty good to me. That's easily the most fire I've seen the Colts D play with all season. The Cheifs have one of the best O lines in football and the Colts shoved them around. Only one of Manning's picks was a really bad throw, other than that 30 of 38 isn't too bad. The replay shows Marvin clearly broke the wrong way both times, he broke toward the other defensve back and left Ty Law wide open for easy picks. They say Ty Law is in Manning's head, honestly I think it's Marvin's head that he's in, but that's my opinion.

You say nobody showed for these games, I say the Colts defense finally showed up. But I know I'm biased because I'm a Colts fan.
    Yep, we heard the same things after the Bengals game also. What happened after that one?

The Colts defense isn't good, not even close. The Chiefs offense isn't that great and the crowd noise is everything to Indy. Doubt they even come close to playing that well on the road.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Doubt they even come close to playing that well on the road.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts beat Baltimore and then falter big time in San Diego.

It'll be a shame when the Colts lose and Manning takes the blame again because people don't understand he doesn't play both sides of the ball.

Kansas City fell prey to the same trap the Bengals did. They thought they'd be able to show up with Larry Johnson and just walk all over the Colts defense. It was easy to tell they had no other plan in mind. And the Colts knew this as well and just stacked the line. That was one poor coaching job by the KC staff today.

It'll be a shame when the Colts lose and Manning takes the blame again because people don't understand he doesn't play both sides of the ball.
    Yep. One of my biggest pet peeves in all of sports is the idea that QBs win and lose game. And I'm not sure when they started doing it but I'm alwasy hearing about QB win % in the same way I do a pitchers. If Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, and Brad Johnson can win Super Bowls while Dan Marino can't, there's something more to winning than a QB.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Yep. One of my biggest pet peeves in all of sports is the idea that QBs win and lose game. And I'm not sure when they started doing it but I'm alwasy hearing about QB win % in the same way I do a pitchers. If Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, and Brad Johnson can win Super Bowls while Dan Marino can't, there's something more to winning than a QB.
    I got into it with a guy at a bar the other day over this. I wholeheartedly agree with you, MWM.

Great quarterbacks like Elway, Manning, and Marino can only take you so far. If the rest of the team isn't there, you'll get beat in the NFL eventually.

I think a great QB can lift a team up on his shoulders in the 4th Qtr. and pull out the victory. However, even with the great QB, you still need a defense at least good enough to make that stop to prevent the other team from scoring. Otherwise it's just a battle of who has the ball last, as us Bengals fans are painfully aware. If the Bengals D could have just made one stop against the Steelers when they needed it, the Bengals would have been playing today instead of the Chiefs.

With a great QB, you need a defense that's good enough to hold the other team out of the endzone enough to win the game. With a great D, you just need a QB good enough to get some points on the board and hand the ball off without making costly mistakes.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The same word (parity) came to my mind too, even before I read your post Mike.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I got into it with a guy at a bar the other day over this. I wholeheartedly agree with you, MWM.

Great quarterbacks like Elway, Manning, and Marino can only take you so far. If the rest of the team isn't there, you'll get beat in the NFL eventually.
    I agree. And how long did it take Elway to finally win a Super Bowl?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I agree. And how long did it take Elway to finally win a Super Bowl?
    He won two Super Bowls as soon as he had a team around him that was good enough to win. Elway had previously carried three Bronco teams to Super Bowls that wouldn't have come close to the game without him, and then took the blame when Denver was beaten.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts beat Baltimore and then have the Chargers falter big time in San Diego due to Martyball.
    Hi Dom, sorry to fix your quote above. It was missing a few words.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Speaking of New York, it's good to know we are less than 2 hours a way from seeing them both eliminated.
    Damn you! Take that back!
    Signed, superstitious NE fan.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?