Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: NFL Playoffs = crapfest

Senor Votto

Re: NFL Playoffs = crapfest

It's a crapfest because the Bengals aren't in it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    That play reminded me of the 2002 NCAA National Championship game at the Fiesta Bowl. Sean Taylor of Miami picked off OSU's Craig Krenzel pass only to have the ball taken away by Maurice Clarett. Got to hand it to Troy Brown for the intentional strip that he did on that SD defensive back after the pick. It was a key play... if not the most important play for NE. Just like that play by Clarett in 2002 for OSU.

Schottenheimer really blew it IMO. The use of that timeout on the afore-mentioned play with a review was idiotic. I am not sure if someone upstairs told him to do it or not, but it was an obvious fumble. You could see it was a fumble as it happened (no instant replay needed). As luck would have it that timeout was really needed. Not only that, but when SD completed their first pass on the last drive for a 1st down, they should have spiked the ball. Instead they took about 20 seconds getting setup and then completed a 4-yard pass to keep the clock running. Terrible clock management and the reason for a 54-yd field goal attempt.
    Yep, that was the most important play of the game. The next most important play of the game was that dumbass personal foul by the San Diego DB. I was glad they called it, though. I get so tired of seeing the morons in the NFL act like that guy, I'm glad they penalized him for it.

And Schottenhiemer managed the game down the stretch like an amateur. Rivers' inexperience didn't help either. After their first first down, he threw a 4 yard pass almost in the middle of the field to Gates that cost them another 10 seconds. That's one where Brady would have thrown it away to keep the clock from moving. That 4 yards meant nothing.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    NE is no dark horse.
    To me they were simply by watching some of their erratic play this year. At times they looked really good and then the following week like crap. No great consistency at times. You didn't know which team was going to show up.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

That describes just about every team in the playoffs this year. This weekend you had Seattle, Chicago, Indy, San Diego, Baltimore, and NE. With the exception of San Diego every one of those teams were erratic and inconsistent. That's the NFL these days. PLayoff football is different and usually the team prepared the best who makes the fewest mistakes wins. New England is tough to beat in the playoffs. They got lucky yesterday, but mostly they've just been better at playoff football.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

That describes just about every team in the playoffs this year. This weekend you had Seattle, Chicago, Indy, San Diego, Baltimore, and NE. With the exception of San Diego every one of those teams were erratic and inconsistent. That's the NFL these days. PLayoff football is different and usually the team prepared the best who makes the fewest mistakes wins. New England is tough to beat in the playoffs. They got lucky yesterday, but mostly they've just been better at playoff football.
    I think a lot of the mediocre play has to do with the salary cap. It's difficult to put together cohesive units with the amount of turnover in personnel that you see these days. Even the best teams are filling in positions with rookies and inexperienced free agents.

The days of dyansties and flawlessly played playoff games are probably gone. That said, there was a lot of exciting football action this weekend.

And I'll say this for Brady...He puts up some great results with below average receivers. He's not throwing to Jerry Rice and John Taylor.
    Jabar Gaffney was cut by the Texans, now all of the sudden he's playing like an all pro?

I think the big difference in the Pats-SD game was that the Chargers were self destructed with really dumb penalties and an inexcusable waste of a time-out by Schottenheimer.

I agree....SD lost/blew/choked that game way more than NE winning it themselves.

Besides the long TD drive before the half (another inexcusable use of a prevent defense....they looked like a Bengals regular defense) ....the Pats really did nothing but play less worse than the Chargers.

This is the way pro sports is now-a-days across the board. The one thing Bengals' fans have every year going into December now, at least, is real hope.

Is anyone going to tell me that watching what the Reds have been throwing out there the last several years, is a reason not to do a salary cap in baseball?

It's not as if we're watching picture perfect baseball on a daily basis either. Just look at the Reds' #'s of errors for how long now, and Adam Dunn or Wily Mo a couple of years go try to flag down routine fly balls for example. Or Felipe Lopez try to throw to first base. One of the things I truly admired as a kid watching pro baseball players, was that they could do those things flawslessly hundreds of times over and be perfect - it was graceful and a skill that came as a result of skill and experience/repetition. Not any more around here at least - these guys can't even make the most routine of plays.

Not saying a salary cap would eliminate sloppy pro sports - but the fact is turnover and free agency has caused a lot of this across the board (NBA, MLB, NFL in particular).

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    This is the way pro sports is now-a-days across the board. The one thing Bengals' fans have every year going into December now, at least, is real hope.

Is anyone going to tell me that watching what the Reds have been throwing out there the last several years, is a reason not to do a salary cap in baseball?

It's not as if we're watching picture perfect baseball on a daily basis either. Just look at the Reds' #'s of errors for how long now, and Adam Dunn or Wily Mo a couple of years go try to flag down routine fly balls for example. Or Felipe Lopez try to throw to first base. One of the things I truly admired as a kid watching pro baseball players, was that they could do those things flawslessly hundreds of times over and be perfect - it was graceful and a skill that came as a result of skill and experience/repetition. Not any more around here at least - these guys can't even make the most routine of plays.

Not saying a salary cap would eliminate sloppy pro sports - but the fact is turnover and free agency has caused a lot of this across the board (NBA, MLB, NFL in particular).
    We're not even halfway through the NBA season and roughly 1/3 of the league is out of the playoff picture. The short schedule creates the illusion competition in the NFL. Nine NFL teams lost the equivalent of 100+ games in the NFL. Another three lost the equivalent of 90 games.

And the overall quality of play in the NBA (especially) and the NFL is WAY below where it is in baseball. The Reds may not play it, but there's plenty of teams, including many small market clubs, who do play an entertaining brand of baseball.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

New England is tough to beat in the playoffs.
    I definitely agree with that. It was just getting to that stage. When they lost to Miami 21-0 in week #14 I was starting to wonder somewhat.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'm worried about what tricks Ol' Bill has up his stupid cut-off sweatshirt sleeves.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

About the stupid DB penalty... did he actually head butt the guy? Looked to me like he got nailed after the play was dead and then was gettin in the other guys face (looking dumb too might I add) and got shoved. Not really sure though, but shouldn't that have been a double penalty, on both guys. ?? I didn't get a real good look at it though...

I think the playoffs have been really fun to watch this year. I hate it when its obvious who is going to win like the past (Patriots). This year its hard to tell who is going to win it. Colts are surprisingly playing very well. Bears were the #1 team in the season, but doesn't look like they have it (but they are the last big defensive team left). Patriots are always tough, and the Saints are also pretty good this year. I'm pulling for the Colts & Saints, but seeing as how the Patriots are my least favorite team, they will probably win it. Seems to work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Nine NFL teams lost the equivalent of 100+ games in the NFL. Another three lost the equivalent of 90 games.
    That's staggering. Just for comparison's sake, only two teams in all of MLB lost 100 games in 2006. Another four lost 90. Is there really more parity in the NFL or is it a myth?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    That's staggering. Just for comparison's sake, only two teams in all of MLB lost 100 games in 2006. Another four lost 90. Is there really more parity in the NFL or is it a myth?
    It's one of those things that gets said so often that it's taken as fact. Yes, "on any given Sunday" any NFL team can beat another, but it's even truer in other sports. Even if you follow a wretched baseball team, you'll get to watch 60 wins a year.

And if you're only two to three games out of a playoff spot, it doesn't feel as bad as if you're twenty to thirty games out of a playoff spot even if, relatively speaking, it's the same thing. The Reds have been in the exact same number of playoff games as the Bengals over the past decade. That despite the fact that 37.5% of the NFL makes the playoffs every season and only 26.67% of MLB does. Parity indeed.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?