Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NFL Playoffs = crapfest

Re: NFL Playoffs = crapfest

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Yep, we heard the same things after the Bengals game also. What happened after that one?

The Colts defense isn't good, not even close. The Chiefs offense isn't that great and the crowd noise is everything to Indy. Doubt they even come close to playing that well on the road.
    Not from me. I still contend that the Colts defense didn't play that well against the Bengals, they gave up 4.4 yards a carry. And the Bengals should have won that game, and I think they would have if they would have committed to the run.

The Chiefs had the second best running game in football. They have a great offensive line, the Colts finished their tackles yesterday, something they did not do against the Bengals.

That wasn't my point anyway, Chip said that game was a pethetic excuse for a playoff game or something. And all season everybody has said "when is the Colts defense going to step up and stop the run?" and they do, in the most important game so far this year, and it's "well KC just played bad".
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I love parity. Each year everybody has a shot, and just becuase your team has New York in front of it doesn't mean you are a contender.

Speaking of New York, it's good to know we are less than 2 hours a way from seeing them both eliminated.
    I don't know if you intended to sound that way, but you appear to be insinuating that New York State pro football teams "always" contend (which isn't correct) - and this is in some way due to some type of bias in their favor, as opposed to the parity with which all other teams are treated. If this is what you were trying to say, do you have some type of fact-based information supporting this view?
    And, for the record, there are 3 pro football teams in NY state and 3 pro football teams in Florida. They have the same number of chances to contend year-to-year, from what I can determine.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    That wasn't my point anyway, Chip said that game was a pethetic excuse for a playoff game or something.

It was a pathetic game. The only reason you say it wasn't was cause Indy won. I don't have a dog in this hunt so I think I'm a little more objective than you are. I'm not necessarily talking about individuals but the actual quality of play - in both games. Can you truthfully say that all 4 teams played good quality football? Can you say that about the majority of these playoff teams?

I don't know if it's parity or not. Parity's been around for quite some time and I've seen some fine football during those years. I'm not seeing it now. Perhaps these games were aberrations and today's games will be crisply played and well coached. I hope so because there are few things that are worse than seeing football played poorly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It was a pathetic game. The only reason you say it wasn't was cause Indy won. I don't have a dog in this hunt so I think I'm a little more objective than you are. I'm not necessarily talking about individuals but the actual quality of play - in both games. Can you truthfully say that all 4 teams played good quality football? Can you say that about the majority of these playoff teams?

I don't know if it's parity or not. Parity's been around for quite some time and I've seen some fine football during those years. I'm not seeing it now. Perhaps these games were aberrations and today's games will be crisply played and well coached. I hope so because there are few things that are worse than seeing football played poorly.
    How often is it that all four teams play well? You could say that just about every year. There have been many playoff games in past years when the Colts haven't played well at all. KC was dominated by a Colts team that did play very well. They rushed for almost 200 yds, Manning was 30 of 38 passing and the defense held them to just 7 first downs. That's not saying anything about what will happen in future games, I'm just saying that as someone who has watched every quarter of all their games, yesterday the defense played differently than it had all season. They held their tackles, all season they have hit people in the backfield or for short gains but have not wrapped up, yesterday they did. You say KC looked pathetic, I say the Colts made them look pathetic.

I know you don't have a "dog in the hunt" and I don't mean to be an ass but you sound like you're just mad that the Bengals are out. And I could be way off, as far as I know you may not even be a Bengals fan, and if you tell me I'm wrong well then I apologize in advance.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    I know you don't have a "dog in the hunt" and I don't mean to be an ass but you sound like you're just mad that the Bengals are out. And I could be way off, as far as I know you may not even be a Bengals fan, and if you tell me I'm wrong well then I apologize in advance.

I couldn't care less that the Bengals are out. I'm no Bengals fan. They playe like crap and the Broncos were just a lttle better and the Chiefs were just a little better than that. But what did you think when the Colts go down in KC territory 3 times and go away with just field goals every time? Did you think that was a good offense and the Chiefs were playing excellent defense or did you think the Colts didn't do a good job of sticking it in the end zone? FGs are nice and it's even nicer to have someone who can kick them on a regular basis. But the point of the game is to stick it in the end zone. If the Colts settle for FGs next week, they are going to be in trouble. You should be happy the Colts won but that's not the point. They just played better than the Chiefs, which wasn't difficult. And it isn't just the Colts and Chiefs either. Look around the league and tell me with a straight face there aren't more than 1 or 2 teams who play good football.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

If the Colts settle for FGs next week, they are going to be in trouble.
    Really? When did Baltimore become a great offensive team? I honestly dont fear the Ravens as a Colts fan. I dont think they can score enough to beat the Colts and look at the last few games they have played. The Ravens O-line cant handle the speed of Freeney and Mathis and the Colts are going to get their points.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Really? When did Baltimore become a great offensive team? I honestly dont fear the Ravens as a Colts fan. I dont think they can score enough to beat the Colts and look at the last few games they have played. The Ravens O-line cant handle the speed of Freeney and Mathis and the Colts are going to get their points.

Well, I don't know why Baltimore is even going to show up then.

As an Indy fan, you should know that you don't win championships with offense. You win them with defense. The Ravens have a defense. As for their offense, they averaged over 22 points per game this season. Not quite in the same league with the Colts but better than the Chiefs and only a little worse than the Bengals. The Colts just can't send all 11 guys after Jamal Lewis next week like they did against Larry Johnson yesterday. They were smart and were determined not to let Larry Johnson beat them. If Baltimore can throw the ball against the Colts, that will open up the run. That's what the Bengals failed to realize. They thought that since the Colts defense was so bad, they could just run it down their throats. But they got behind and couldn't adjust. You also have to realize that the game is in Baltimore, not Indy.

I must say that the 1st half of this NE-NY game has been a lot more enjoyable. At least these teams can put it in the end zone.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Well, I don't know why Baltimore is even going to show up then.

As an Indy fan, you should know that you don't win championships with offense. You win them with defense. The Ravens have a defense. As for their offense, they averaged over 22 points per game this season. Not quite in the same league with the Colts but better than the Chiefs and only a little worse than the Bengals. The Colts just can't send all 11 guys after Jamal Lewis next week like they did against Larry Johnson yesterday. They were smart and were determined not to let Larry Johnson beat them. If Baltimore can throw the ball against the Colts, that will open up the run. That's what the Bengals failed to realize. They thought that since the Colts defense was so bad, they could just run it down their throats. But they got behind and couldn't adjust. You also have to realize that the game is in Baltimore, not Indy.

I must say that the 1st half of this NE-NY game has been a lot more enjoyable. At least these teams can put it in the end zone.
    I agree that the game was ugly yesterday and I am not denying that. You said that if the Colts kick field goals against the Ravens that they would be in trouble and my point was that they can kick field goals and win because the Ravens are not a great offensive team. The Colts will score a few touchdowns as well. I am a Colts fan but I am a realist I just think that the Colts match up will against the Ravens and have a great chance to win. I think the Colts will win but would not be shocked if they got manhandled. The Colts burned me last year so I am tenative to make the superbowl prediction just yet.

I would not want to face the Ravens D on their home field in the playoffs. I cannot stand the personalities on that D, but that really doesn't mean squat as to whether they are any good. Their offense is ordinary and the Bengals formula is how you beat them--don't make turnovers and leave the offense with long fields. The points racked up by the O are often due to the D giving great field position either through a stop or a turnover.

The AFC semis are very interesting matchups. I would almost put down a bet on the Pats upsetting the Bolts and I think Baltimore will send Peyton home to rehearse a new batch of commercials. In the AFC Championship, I think Baltimore will win a low scoring game over the Patsies.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I would not want to face the Ravens D on their home field in the playoffs. I cannot stand the personalities on that D, but that really doesn't mean squat as to whether they are any good. Their offense is ordinary and the Bengals formula is how you beat them--don't make turnovers and leave the offense with long fields. The points racked up by the O are often due to the D giving great field position either through a stop or a turnover.

The AFC semis are very interesting matchups. I would almost put down a bet on the Pats upsetting the Bolts and I think Baltimore will send Peyton home to rehearse a new batch of commercials. In the AFC Championship, I think Baltimore will win a low scoring game over the Patsies.
    Peyton has never really had problems with the Ravens vauted D in the past but you could be right, I think Martyball will come into play and the Pats upset the Bolts. I think the Colts win and the Pats win, then the Pats send Peyton home to rehearse.

Was there a team that played this weekend that has more talent than the Bengals? You may be able to make a case for the Colts. But it just drives you nuts that they can't figure out how to turn their talent into a team.

I got into it with a guy at a bar the other day over this. I wholeheartedly agree with you, MWM.

Great quarterbacks like Elway, Manning, and Marino can only take you so far. If the rest of the team isn't there, you'll get beat in the NFL eventually.
    Tom Brady has also been canonized due to this logic. He's a fine quarterback to be sure, but he benefited from a wonderful supporting cast around him when he won his rings.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Tom Brady has also been canonized due to this logic. He's a fine quarterback to be sure, but he benefited from a wonderful supporting cast around him when he won his rings.
    While Brady is obviously the most significant individual contributor on the field for the Pats, and a great QB, Bill Bellicheck is reason #1,2, and 3 why that team wins. Going into the playoffs I picked the Patriots to win it all. I still don't see any of this year's teams beating a Bellicheck coached team in the playoffs. He's in a world all his own when it comes to devising schemes in the playoffs. Next week we'll see it when the best offense in the NFL is shut down and lucky to score 13 points.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Great quarterbacks like Elway, Manning, and Marino can only take you so far. If the rest of the team isn't there, you'll get beat in the NFL eventually.
    3 interceptions at home in a dome against an average team? Not exactly what I'd call a "great" quarterback. A typical mediocre Peyton postseason performance.

On the other hand, that guy playing against the Jets on Sunday, now thats a great quarterback. A typical incredible Brady postseason performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Was there a team that played this weekend that has more talent than the Bengals? You may be able to make a case for the Colts. But it just drives you nuts that they can't figure out how to turn their talent into a team.
    A good start would be to get guys who dont get arrested every other week. Character matters and Marvin needs to learn that. Bad character guys ruin teams, see T.O., Artest, and Isiah Rider.

Turn Off Ads?